DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An option that has been exercised is no longer an option.

If E.D. have never done it, but it is possible, they can say without qualification that this possibility exists as an option for all future and existing maps.

If E.D. have already done it, spherical maps exist as both an option in the future, and a realised project. There would then exist a class of maps that (because they are already projected onto a spherical surface,) would not be able to be 'optionally' projected onto a spherical surface, and the statement "Option to project map on globe surface" would no longer be globally true.

If a map with spherical projection had already been made in EDGE, it should read "option to project existing flat, & any future maps, onto a global surface" THEN it would be true.

If you read Wags' post again, it is referring to EDGE in general, not to any specific map or set of maps. Since this is actually a semantics argument, we can discuss it purely by analogy. So what you are saying is that if I am selling ice cream with an option for a cherry on top, as soon as someone selects a cherry on top, I can't say I am selling ice cream with an option for a cherry on top anymore? Certainly that specific customer has exercised their option, but it does not change the option in general for people buying ice cream.

Unlimited map size and projection to globe was all that I needed to hear. Hopefully this would mean that future maps are added to Nevada instead of being separate so that we have one large global map that will grow as DCS does.
Maybe the next map will be DCS: California.
Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you read Wags' post again, it is referring to EDGE in general, not to any specific map or set of maps. Since this is actually a semantics argument, we can discuss it purely by analogy. So what you are saying is that if I am selling ice cream with an option for a cherry on top, as soon as someone selects a cherry on top, I can't say I am selling ice cream with an option for a cherry on top anymore? Certainly that specific customer has exercised their option, but it does not change the option in general for people buying ice cream.

Maybe the next map will be DCS: California.

I want the next map to be The South Eastern US to include parts of Cuba. of course this is purely selfish (and of course not gonna happen) as it's where I live and also where my Reserve unit is based out of (Moody AFB, Ga) :D.

Plus it could include multiple DoD bases:

In Georgia:

• Robins AFB
  • Moody AFB
  • Naval Air Station Atlanta
  • Naval Submarine BaseKings Bay
  • Camp Frank D. Merrill
  • Fort Benning (to include Lawson Army Air Field)
  • Fort Gordon
  • Fort Stewart
  • Hunter Army Airfield

In Florida:

• Tyndall AFB
  • Eglin AFB
  • Jacksonville International Airport (National Guard)
  • Homestead ARB
  • MacDill AFB
  • Patrick AFT
  • Cape Canaveral AFS
  • Naval Air Station Jacksonville
  • Naval Air Station Key West
  • Naval Air Station Pensacola
  • Camp Branding

Not to mention multiple Weapon Ranges (Grand Bay, Townsend, Avon Park to name a few.

Stretch it to VA and it's a Good 6 or 7 more Bases, and Carrier Ops Practice.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I want the next map to be The South Eastern US to include parts of Cuba. of course this is purely selfish (and of course not gonna happen) as it's where I live and also where my Reserve unit is based out of (Moody AFB, Ga) :D.

Plus it could include multiple DoD bases:

In Georgia:

• Robins AFB
  • Moody AFB
  • Naval Air Station Atlanta
  • Naval Submarine BaseKings Bay
  • Camp Frank D. Merrill
  • Fort Benning (to include Lawson Army Air Field)
  • Fort Gordon
  • Fort Stewart
  • Hunter Army Airfield

In Florida:

• Tyndall AFB
  • Eglin AFB
  • Jacksonville International Airport (National Guard)
  • Homestead ARB
  • MacDill AFB
  • Patrick AFT
  • Cape Canaveral AFS
  • Naval Air Station Jacksonville
  • Naval Air Station Key West
  • Naval Air Station Pensacola
  • Camp Branding

Not to mention multiple Weapon Ranges (Grand Bay, Townsend, Avon Park to name a few.

Stretch it to VA and it's a Good 6 or 7 more Bases, and Carrier Ops Practice.

Dont forget the biggest Army base being in NC being Ft. Bragg for CA exercises and the surrounding airbases Seymour Johnson AFB, MCAS Cherry Point, Pope Air Field to ferry our beloved 82nd!! :smilewink:

Start working on your team Paulrkiii!!!:thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I know ALOT of Terrain people, So, it really depends on the SDK/Tools.

Perhaps I can beg and gravel on my digital knees for some of the Thirdwire Terrain Guys to come over to DCS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I know there is a new super duper secret map that will be released with EDGE (not Nevada).. I know it, i know it, i know it... god i hope this is true! :music_whistling:

So you can deny Corsica or Alabama, at least for the release? :huh:

There is a huge lack of clarity about what Edge is and isn't going to provide to DCS as whole. Its an upgrade to the the engine and API which DCS:W desperately needs, but then most info thats come up would suggest that its directly tied to Nevada and other new maps. Which causes a whole sub-set of logic errors in my brain. Its not the graphical improvements that matter most to me but the 'potential' performance improvements. Graphics aside, there are features to DX11 geared toward making better use of today's hardware like SMP/MT and multi-gpu configs. DCS World is still Georgia/Russia, which will provide the largest combat area until more map areas are released. Without further information to indicate otherwise, it would seem like the core game will continue to run sub-optimally except for those who are getting/buying Nevada.

We don't need any backward compatibility :)

That's what is needed for taking full advantage of 64 bit systems!

I hope they don't sacrifice the capabilities of DirectX 11 to keep DirectX 9 compatibility :(

It's time to stop supporting DirectX 9, as well!

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

Beside NTTR, I hope we get the Blacksea region converted to EDGE. Maybe, with the crimea back (strecht the whole map for about 250nm) ... with the north of Turkey it would be awesome. :music_whistling:

regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a huge lack of clarity about what Edge is and isn't going to provide to DCS as whole.

That pretty much sums it up!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think Matt is spying on me now. Like 30-45 minutes ago I was doing a search of airfields in Nevada and looking at Groom lake and Nellis AFB in google maps. All preparing to post a question on the total area to be included in the map. Then he posts this http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1902741&postcount=4

You could be right, except that question has been asked at least a dozen times just this year. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

First EDGE map is coming

Yes it is coming to intergated into DCS World even maybe in the next patch

according to this

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1902741#post1902741

so it is going to be introduced as a free map or a payware....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

so it is going to be introduced as a free map or a payware....

This was a long time ago but I remember someone, possibly Wags said it's going to be payware. To give away this massive piece of work for free does not seem realistic anyway.

New rendering engine, new bugs... give at least 2 months to start.

This was a long time ago but I remember someone, possibly Wags said it's going to be payware. To give away this massive piece of work for free does not seem realistic anyway.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1660812&highlight=free+nevada+beta#post1660812

Look at part 4

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

we definitely need the black see region with edge. . .sorry, but air combat over nevada? not very realistic. . . and only drop training bombs and rockets the whole day. . . not my style. . . and desert until the horizon. . . boring. . .

i hope we get the crimea back.

I'd love Nevada for a late "Cold war gone hot" scenario. Also, I got hitched in Las Vegas :D

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I used to run Dual 56K to Two Different Numbers :).

I wonder if I can Activate my Old Docsis 2.0 Modem as a 2nd device on Cox, and Use Network Teaming to have twice the internet :).

Might have to give them a call.

Hopefully it isnt included at all in a update, instead a self installer via Torrent or separate smaller BIN Files.

I'll have to buy a copy/license regardless for my other machine.

"Even with the use of lower resolution textures in places, the map is already 26 GB."

:suspect:26Gb!!!:shocking::eek:

Hopefully I have enough place on my SSD.

Oh, Wags edited his post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=89325&d=1381515022

Here

:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.