DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an important caveat.. I'm VERY happy to see a new map, I just feel the need to point out the obvious that some seem to miss. As a mud mover and a chopper whore..there will be lots of areas I'll enjoy away from Vegas.. and when i want to play in civi street.. I'll fly my choppers down the strip! :D

More maps will come. It's probably the easiest to start with to set the bar. By the time you get bored with it, there maybe more. As someone else wrote, at least we can spell and remember the names : )

Cannot wait for this and without sounding like a kiss up, thank your ED, thank you wags. Other than BF2 I've spent more time on DCS and Lock on than any other game.

Looking forward to Glowing Amraam's next video : )

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Red dots mark airfields in the area, green with black outline are the three that are stated by Wags to be functional.

Wags Image

NevadaMapArea_zps220f15ca.png

Great :thumbup: good to know

Hope to see the one or other of them in the future

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

Nevada Airbases question to ED

hi ED-Team,

might it be possible to get a list of implemented / to be implemented airfields of the nevada map?

in the meantime, what can the community find?

i think the following airfields will be a sure thing:

- Nellis AFB

- Creech AFB

- McCarran International

- North Las Vegas Airport

- Groom Lake AFB / Area 51

does anyone has more ideas/suggestions?

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Nellis,Creech and Groom lake are the currently implemented ones, they say they may add more.

'may' being the operative word in this case.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm really interested in performance numbers on the new EDGE engine.

Expecting it to be more efficient and better at using todays power in the GPU.

Will be interesting to see how they have dealt with the problem with object count in the engine.

Problem today is that every bullet, or fragment in a CBU is an object. And when that comes into view in current engine your CPU gets clogged and FPS goes down the drain.

Problem today is that every bullet, or fragment in a CBU is an object. And when that comes into view in current engine your CPU gets clogged and FPS goes down the drain.

I don't have the impression that EDGE is going to address that issue at all. :noexpression:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't have the impression that EDGE is going to address that issue at all. :noexpression:

DX9 CPU Overhead on Draw Objects is at about 40%, and climbs as you break the 500 Draw Call Level. Each Object is a Draw Call, But some Objects can be grouped, but still DX9 is Blah When it comes to excessive draw calls and Shader Efficiency .

DX10 Overhead is less than 20%, and has no "Limit" on Draw calls, plus DX10 Utilizes Instancing, so 1 Object can be repeated (Trees, Buildings Static AC etc) as one Draw Call.

DX11 Further Improves CPU Overhead.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm very supprieed they didn't include McCarran International or other big civilian airports.

Does that mean we'll get an ugly looking thing like this?

EDIT: Offtopic, but did anyone notice Wags edited his post and now says 360x360 km area? Apposed to 300? Am I missing something?

Im not sure if they even exist in the OLD beta terrain.

But, 3rd parties can Easily Build the Airports and Place them, then add the Tower ATC Data to the LUAs, (at least I hope it's that easy)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm very supprieed they didn't include McCarran International or other big civilian airports.

lhq6.jpg

EDIT: Offtopic, but did anyone notice Wags edited his post and now says 360x360 km area? Apposed to 300? Am I missing something?

Is this from Jane's USAF? :huh:

That is my biggest fun to compare these maps when released .. as I remember you could fly through the Gran Canyon in USAF which won't be possible in DCS Nevada :( That would have been a funny location for dogfighting ..

DX9 CPU Overhead on Draw Objects is at about 40%, and climbs as you break the 500 Draw Call Level. Each Object is a Draw Call, But some Objects can be grouped, but still DX9 is Blah When it comes to excessive draw calls and Shader Efficiency .

DX10 Overhead is less than 20%, and has no "Limit" on Draw calls, plus DX10 Utilizes Instancing, so 1 Object can be repeated (Trees, Buildings Static AC etc) as one Draw Call.

DX11 Further Improves CPU Overhead.

futuramafry.jpg

What is CPU overhead ?

It's the old DCS A-10C beta Nevada, and according to Wags post we should get a little bit of the Grand Canyon right?

Oh damn how could I mix up the DCS map with this one from a 13 years old game ... either Jane's USAF looked damn good or DCS beta map damn bad :megalol:

An yes, but the arrow is only showing to the small beginning of the canyon, the real big deep gap is much more in the east :(

And to these airports.. I hope they will not look like this but will be at least an emergency landing-strip without any ATC/ILS like some unoffical runways found in the current Black sea map

Edited by tarracta

With the SDK going public what is and isn't in the map is largely a moot point. I think you're going to find that the community will flesh out areas lacking and ED could always run that work through a quality control check and patch it live to everyone if they wish to. The SDK being in the public's hands will be a manpower multiplier for DCS content.

futuramafry.jpg

What is CPU overhead ?

Google DX9 CPU Overhead

With the SDK going public what is and isn't in the map is largely a moot point. I think you're going to find that the community will flesh out areas lacking and ED could always run that work through a quality control check and patch it live to everyone if they wish to. The SDK being in the public's hands will be a manpower multiplier for DCS content.

Totally agree. The quality control checks is what warries me though:

- Two users have built their versions of an airport;

- Make a polycount check, ensure materials and textures are right, study the original airport to check consistency, etc

- Choose the best work, or ask user X to integrate user Y work;

- Multiply this work for hundreds of scenery customizations: how many work hours would it take? :huh:

- Multiply this work for hundreds of scenery customizations: how many work hours would it take? :huh:

Unfortunately, I can't see ED being a QC point for this stuff. They are already overburdened just trying to keep up with what they produce themselves.

Regarding enhancing Nevada ...

The big question is, if we will be able to integrate new stuff into released maps. When Wags was talking about the Nevada map size, he mentioned that it was 26GB prior integrating into DCS World. This could indicate that some sort of processing of the map data is necessary - i.e. you would have to have access to the map source data (editable with the SDK) and then "compile" it so DCS World can use it.

IIRC, when Ilya explained it, he did make is sound like the SDK would not include the capability to create/output something that was ready to plug into the sim. ED/RRG would still have to be involved in producing the final product.

- Two users have built their versions of an airport;

- Make a polycount check, ensure materials and textures are right, study the original airport to check consistency, etc

- Choose the best work, or ask user X to integrate user Y work;

It would make sense to have a sub-forum where people could document their projects. that way they marginalize overlap of work. there is more merit working with someone instead of against them with competition. I'm sure there'll be some overlap because some people want to be the one that do specific locations and don't like to work in teams. That's all on them though and if they make something redundant that ED doesn't want, too bad for them. ;)

Edited by BHawthorne

Regarding enhancing Nevada ...

The big question is, if we will be able to integrate new stuff into released maps. When Wags was talking about the Nevada map size, he mentioned that it was 26GB prior integrating into DCS World. This could indicate that some sort of processing of the map data is necessary - i.e. you would have to have access to the map source data (editable with the SDK) and then "compile" it so DCS World can use it.

I actually interpreted it as the content is there but it's not been checked in the game client yet for optimization bottlenecks, only in a viewer utility. I don't think they're talking about an art asset "compile". The Area 51 video with cars moving around looks like game assets to me, not static uncompiled art assets. I could be wrong though.

Edited by BHawthorne