NVG ANVS-9 more REAL...

.....Laser mark from the JTAC is just a spot, and not Star-Wars-Look-Like laser beam....

Aye - but this is more fun :P

34eaf7d1.jpg

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fade and blur. Do you have a 1920x1080 setup by chance?

Sorry TulsA-10, I cancelled the blur that is visible in my test-vid, because its too unrealistic and it is very irritating when you want to use the MFCDs or click in the cockpit. It really should look at last like this to make sense at all:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58197&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320091373 But this cant be done with the tools I'm using...

This can only be done if you are able to modify direly the DirectX post-processing layer with adding a z-detection blur.

(But you should be able to test it on a 1920 Horizontal - you just have to tweak your Focus.png of DCS to fit my overlay.)

So I followed the advise from Igormik and tweaked the light sensitive fading a little more (I tested it with a flash-light with a green filter -holding it in front of my eyes... :) )

So if there are not more suggestions I would work on a upload including all common resolution pre-sets to be ready on Saturday.

...and also reworked the autohotkey script - so it will be much more reliable.

Here is the preview of the final (?) appearance :

Please watch in full-screen and 720p to be able to see all details and get a better contrast.

The first 15seconds I only show the overlay on a white background.

Please let me know if someone has a sample-sound of switching them on/off.

So I could tweak the sound .

I would be glad to hear your opinion. (I have to say the it feels very good and I will not fly without it any more in night times.)

Btw - I have to keep the lower quarter of the screen-area clear .

If I wouldn't - you wouldn't be able to click into the cockpit at all when the NVG is visible. I think I found a fairly well compromise.

How is the impact on FPS? If it is light, chances of inclusion are not bad, i'd say.

Can't measure any difference at all. - but I fixed my FPS at 30 anyway...

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Great! If you are asking me you can announce that this mod is finished. Still let's see what will gieco1 say about it.

BTW

...I tested it with a flash-light with a green filter -holding it in front of my eyes... :) )

LOL! Very enthusiastic!!! :thumbup:

Please let me know if someone has a sample-sound of switching them on/off.

So I could tweak the sound .

If you want I can record the switching sound. But it is so soft really that you wouldn't be able to hear it in the loud cockpit, so maybe you can leave it without sound. If you still want to have the sample let me know and I will try to send it to you tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank You!

:thumbup:

If you want I can record the switching sound. But it is so soft really that you wouldn't be able to hear it in the loud cockpit, so maybe you can leave it without sound. If you still want to have the sample let me know and I will try to send it to you tomorrow.

Instead of making yourself the hassle to record something very quiet in a noisy environment -and on top of that- that you only can hear clearly inside the helmet...

Maybe you can have a look in this folder:

Untitled.png

and simply tell me what button sounds are the closest one...

:)

My favourite is "ClickButton Off/On.ogg" - it is also " so soft ".

Even it is very quiet and you wouldn't hear it with running engines ...

It would be a nice addition to hear it in occasions when both engines down and you become a glider in the dark .... and than have to switch your NVGs on to spot a clear road/field for a emergency landing.

And its really easy to add with a autohotkey script that is anyway running with this mod.

Edited by PeterP

I will try to send you recording of the sound tomorrow.

Actually battery switch is very soft and you switch it on once before you enter the cockpit, and switch it off after the flight, but the sound of goggles fixing in up or down position is quite louder. Plus it is transferred to your ears via the helmet so maybe it can be heard in cockpit. Honestly I'm not sure since I never payed attention to such detail. :P

First chance to test it in cockpit with running engines I will do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Laser mark from the JTAC is just a spot, and not Star-Wars-Look-Like laser beam.

It's hard for me to disagree with you because the video evidence is right there, but I can't count the number of times I have used lasers to mark targets. I use AN/PEQ-2, IZLID, and GCP (Ground Commander's Pointer) and all look like the laser beam as depicted in the game and in this YouTube video.

It's hard for me to disagree with you because the video evidence is right there, but I can't count the number of times I have used lasers to mark targets. I use AN/PEQ-2, IZLID, and GCP (Ground Commander's Pointer) and all look like the laser beam as depicted in the game and in this YouTube video.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough, I didn't mean that it shouldn't look like the one in DCS, but my personal experiences are the same as with the F-16 video. Of course it is relative thing, depending mostly on the power of the laser pointer. I had chance to work with several types (not sure of their power), but mostly I was just able to see the laser point, or maybe extremely discrete line.

Exept the power of the laser, factors that are also important are the distance and angle from which you are observing the laser, and probably the level of darkness of the night and atmosphere conditions.

On one occasion I was working with FAC and seeing only laser point. Then I took the FAC in the helicopter to get him back to base and asked him to use his pointer from the helicopter. Now I was seeing nice laser beam (like on AlphaOneSix video), which was probably due to close distance (and angle) to the laser source.

@PeterP - I was watching the last video couple of times more carefully, and I think that the glaring effect is too strong initially when you remove the NVGs. Again it is individual thing, but I was never affected so much when I goggle up. Still it would be good to hear what are the other RL users of NVGs thinking, but I believe that initial glaring effect (level of transparency of the area where NVG circle was) could be reduced by maybe 30%.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@PeterP - I was watching the last video couple of times more carefully, and I think that the glaring effect is too strong initially when you remove the NVGs. Again it is individual thing, but I was never affected so much when I goggle up. Still it would be good to hear what are the other RL users of NVGs thinking, but I believe that initial glaring effect (level of transparency of the area where NVG circle was) could be reduced by maybe 30%.

Don't worry - it looks much clearer at my end .

The compression of Youtube messed up a lot of the contrast...

That is why I wrote people should watch it in full-screen and 720p - it helps a bit to catch the idea how it really looks at my end.

It is much more fluently and clearer in the original video file and of course also when using it in DCS.

And thanks again for your effort in recording the NVG moving up/down in advance!

Sorry TulsA-10, I cancelled the blur that is visible in my test-vid, because its too unrealistic and it is very irritating when you want to use the MFCDs or click in the cockpit. It really should look at last like this to make sense at all:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58197&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320091373

WOW i see what you mean. The final(?) looks fantastic!

Edited by TulsA-10

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Thanks igormk !!!

That is exactly what I expected - nothing spectacular - just believable!

- So I can delete my Hollywood-sound and use your sound.

:D

http://www.mediafire.com/?b5v7boi7j54f39b<<< sound-file of igormk of the NVG.

Some kind of OT but it still fit:

@ tusla

when we talking about sense - this picture has to be shown...:

star-wars-darth-vader-sense.jpg

same can be applied to my try to include the "infinity view"...;)

Edited by PeterP

No problem PeterP!

Still have in mind that this was recorded with mobile phone (not professional equipment), and in a small room so echo is quite present, and maybe sounds need a bit tweaking.

Also I will try to check today do you actually hear anything in cockpit with engines running, and at which level, and inform you later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm about to test this in BS2 with Multi-monitor set up hope we don't have a repeat of the BS1 stretched screen problem.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

NVGs tested practically and I can confirm that you can hear them fixing in up and down position in cockpit with engines running. The sound is significantly choked up and discrete then sounds I provided (maybe you "hear" it more like vibrations of them fixing in position then the actual sound, but you definitely hear it). Having in mind that I had two 2225HP engines and pretty noisy gearbox couple of meters behind and above me, I think this sound would be even more hear able in A-10 considering it is less loud environment than mine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last Call!!!

Right now I am editing the overlay pre-sets for a final upload.

That are 204 png files I have to touch!!

So if you don't see a matching pre-set for your system on the list below - you have a last chance to tell it to me - so I can add it for you!

Listofsupportedmodes.jpg

This will probably take several hours .

So if you keep your mouth shut ...you have to edit them yourself and I will not help you. -I'm done with it !! :D

And than I have also to tweak the sound-files of Igormik to match the standards of DCS...

The final mod will be compatible with BS2 and A-10.

Edited by PeterP

I'm runing an eyfinity setup with 3 monitors 22", resolution at 5760x1080 with an other 20" for Helios with a resolution at 1600x900.

Is your mod ready for my setup ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7-960 / 12Gb Corsair DDR3 Ram / Asus GTX980 Ti Strix / Asus PB287Q / TIR 5+Clip Pro Logitech G13/ TM Warthog N°01295 / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Win Seven 64bits/ TM Cougar MFDs (Vers. 1) / 1 Syncmaster 206BW running Helios

Sorry attached a wrong list - fixed the image now.

@ beynesairforce

Yes your settup is supported

You will need "TH 16_9 1920x1080..." . (at the left in the lower third)

And I assume that you running already in windowed mode with Helios... - there will be no drop in FPS for you.

...so once again ... please read this before posting: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1321110#post1321110

Edit 11-16-2011 :

Due some personal time-management shortcomings and the surprisingly release of BS2 (and spending much time in fixes for the FFB bug in BS2) I wasn't able to finish this mod at the weekend.

Will have another try next Saturday.

I also found some bugs that occur in some occasions and the fadeout doesn't work always reliable-

and I search right now for a more robust solution.

Edited by PeterP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - just to give you a little update:

I have tried very hard to compile a 64bit Overlay Hooking .dll that does something similar like "AIESTV", Maverick+Shkval display overlay/external window/network stream in the 64bit version of DCS

blank.png

So we should be able to draw every contend what we would like to see at top of a full-screen running DCS.

But I have to admit that I suck at C++ and VB... and I wasn't able to compile a working DLL that does this. And with a age of 35 - full-time job and a pregnant partner - I see right now not much time left to learn more programming... ;)

Right now I have only a working solution for windowed mode and full-screen for 32bit

-and a solution for full-screen DCS is to run three different external programs that have to configured carefully and than work together.

It's: SoftTH+3RVX+Aoutohotkey = Working Overlay in 64bit Full-screen DCS

That seems to be too much for the "average Joe" and will obviously generate too much technical support questions...

So I put it aside for the next couple of days/weeks until I spot someone that compiles a working Hooking dll that works in a 64bit architecture.

The one method that comes closest to what we need ,but works only in 32bit, is this:

The main problem is as follows:

I have a working DLL file that is complied for 32bit programs - but it won't work in 64bit versions.

I have also the source-code including all project-files for Visual-C++

So please help me/us out if you know how to create a 64bit version.

Here is the source code:

http://www.mikoweb.eu/index.php?node=28

download : gp_source_1.5_DX9.zip

The source-code and everything is already there - so If you are able to compile it for 64bit- I/We would be very grateful !

Ideally the Hook should have the ability to support various overlays (Min of 3) and use Hot-keys to switch the overlay on and off - Fading would be a double + !

When this would be working, things like sunglasses/visor - Binos - NVG - Maps - and so on... should be no problem with only one DLL in the main structure of DCS instead running and configuring three different programs to make this work:

BTW: here is a thread about Binoculars in the wish list section.

So If you have some advanced programming skills - or know someone that have - please look at the links I posted and try to help.

I hope that with the upcoming spreading of native 64bit applications we soon will see a robust working solution in full-screen for it.

Edited by PeterP

:thumbsup:. Do this have any effect on FPS?

Can't measure any drop.

But as I said:

You need to setup SoftTH / 3RVX / Aoutohotkey

and than you need also overlays that are configured especially for your screen resolution and also a second screen detected by windows (even if you don't want to use it for DCS at all) to get it working in fullscreen-mode.

As example:

Things that happen in this "DCS Binoculars" video are basically very simple:

When I press my "Binos On" hotkey on my joystick:

Autohotkey sends a command to DCS to zoom fully in and at the same time to 3RVX to start and Hold the overlay -

When I release/press again my hotkey DCS zooms back again and 3RVX stops.

And in the same time Aoutohotkey switches on the "precision mode" of TrackIR - so I get the simulation of Gyro- stabilised binoculars - and I don't have to struggle with a jumpy image. -it's switched off again when the binos are released. - without this the Binos wouldn't be usable at all and you would have a hard time (like in real) to keep one moving spot in them!!

To get it work in full-screen:

The trick is to assign the screen you want to see the cockpit view as Secondary monitor - and Let SoftTH copy the contend on it.

This will cost virtually no FPS because The Pixels are already in the backbuffer of your GPU - and no big recalculation must be done.

It's very similar to "Clone" your monitors.

And the nice side-effect is that you can show additional overlays/programs on top of this fullscreen-DirectX render without losing focus when clicking Helios for instance.

Will write down a sample config for a Two-screen set-up when I have time.

But as far as I can say -It runs without problems once you set up everything correctly. I have also written a Batch file that automatic starts everything before I load up DCS - so I don't have to think about preconfiguring it before starting the sim.

But it's nearly impossible to make a single "Mod" out of my findings

that will work for everyone.

Please have a look at this post to understand me better :http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1312229#post1312229instead

And now keep in mind that it is manly only to configure 3RVX - when SoftTH and various possibilities of Monitor configurations are added to this...

- The number and possibilities of overlay pre-sets are going through the roof.

And I really dislike the idea to have a thread like this Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

Only because I released a mod that is unfinished (from my point of view)

- a simple instruction.txt should do the job.

-and not a thread that covers over 100 of postings explaining the same on and on again but with changing numbers...:(

-so it will look to some newbies like rocket-sience - only to have a realistic looking NVG/Binocular or a simple Sun-protecting Visor.

I even edited my signature for this purpose - maybe some keen coder will be attracted of the red letters and will come up with a solution... ;)

Edited by PeterP

Thanks,

It's nothing against "your" thread - It's just to give something a picture. ( I could easily pull out many different examples - sorry that you feel concerned)

It's only about how a inchoate feature can cause much trouble/confusion.

And I really fear the same will happen with this "Mod".

Edited by PeterP

Ok tried this out.. have to say found it a little confusing, with some of the instructions inaccurate or lacking explanation.

I have a multimonitor setup, 2 x 22" at 1680x1050 giving a total res of 3360x1050.

I assumed i needed to use the 1680x1050 skin, but this seems to be incorrect. As i was getting the NVG off the side of my screen.

screen111202080336.jpg

It would seem that there is no setups for people using spanned desktops like myself. Is this right?

Could you be kind enough to add some explanation as what needs to be altered and or edited to allow people with custom setups to get this working.

Thanks.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Seems to me that the mask shows up in the right place,

but the NVG is spanned across the whole desktop area...

Madtommynvg.png

To locate the problem - would you please upload the Focus.png that you are using in this Image?

You find it in DCS A-10CBazarEffectsPostMotionEffectNightVisionGoogle

Something must be wrong with this.

We are now in the same boat! :D :

have to say found it a little confusing, with some of the instructions inaccurate or lacking explanation
Need also more explanation what is confusing.

So to get it straight:

- you are using the small1680x1050 overlay in 3RVX

- you have set the spawn point in 3RVX to x0/y0

- the script is working and the mask shows up when you activate the NVG

But

-the NVG "window" isn't showing up where it has to be.

And: Why is your right side of the image Black?

So please correct me if my assumption isn't right and load up your Focus.png

Please include as much info as possible (maybe attach also your used monitor-lua) - so I will have a look and explain it again step by step using your config as example.

And when everyting works as advertised I will upload the files that are needed for the "light sensitive" NVG mask

Deal?!

Edit:

OK seems the penny drooped in the right place at my end- and I got it.

-You use the whole desktop area for the "cameraview? (do you have projectors?... what's with the bezel in the middle of your picture)

- The right side is black because you used the ingame-picture function - and only the Primary screen will be captured .-thats why the right side is black.

- You used the Focus PNG of the 1680x1050 overlay... That can't work - So it is stretched by a factor of 2.

- You need to set a new X starting point for the overlay in 3RVX

when you have a desktop of 3360x1050 and you are using the 1680x1050 overlay - you have to set the starting point at

x=840

Than the 1680x1050 mask will show up in the middle of the desktop.

And

You need a new Focus PNG especially for your 3360x1050 resolution - so it will not stretched any more and fit with the mask! - give me some time to edit it and load it up for you....

click here in the meantime:

Done!

Included are to versions, one for the "big" and one for the "Small" pre-set.

Just thinking that you would like to use the "big" version at a screen of your size.

Edited by PeterP