Are helecopters harder to fly than jets??!!

Anyone informed on this subject?

Oh and will this "Big Shark" add on be hard to control?

I can't fight much in these simulations (and yes I do play Falcon 4 and IL2) cos its too difficult but I can fly quite well in them :)

Mizzy

Helo's, at least simulation helo's, are much harder to fly and require much more concentration. You have to be on your toe's at all times to fly the machine, and then add that you have to fight the machine.....both offensively and defensively. It is an absolute kick in the southside, though and very challenging. Vortex Ring, Blade Stall, all the fun stuff that can put you in the ground with a big bang are terms you will become familiar with. I would suggest getting a hold of EECH and EEAH to get you immersed into Helo Simulation flying.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Thank you Dusty

But if 1.1 has a Advanced flight model, will this "black Shark" (sorry not big shark, silly me) also have some advanced flying physics as well?

If so, won't it be more difficult than any of the others? Whats EECH btw?

Mizzy

Yes, it is harder, and it will be harder. You're dealing with a lot more range of motion and different means of accelerating and slowing and in general handling the aircraft in general.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Jets, well they WANT to fly...it's what they do.

Helicopters, well...even WITH power they can be a handful. Every control works in opposition to everyother. Pull the cyclic, add more boot for the torque rotor (though not an the Ka-50 lol ), Move the stick forward to gain speed..oops now your dropping so add power, up the cyclic, need more boot on the pedals again...get the idea? THATS why they are such great fun either simulated or real.

fighterwingbear.jpg

Jets, well they WANT to fly...it's what they do.

Helicopters, well...even WITH power they can be a handful. Every control works in opposition to everyother. Pull the cyclic, add more boot for the torque rotor (though not an the Ka-50 lol ), Move the stick forward to gain speed..oops now your dropping so add power, up the cyclic, need more boot on the pedals again...get the idea? THATS why they are such great fun either simulated or real.

You know, I was really dreading learning to fly the Ka50 until you pointed that out . . . .

Contrarotating propellors rule, 'n stuff :p

Yes . . . . .

But I said contrarotating, not autorotating.

Is the Ka50 the one that was fitted with an ejector seat?

Ah yes, so you did. Oops.

Yes, the Ka-50 (or its prototypes) were/have/are fitted with an ejector seat. Pull the yellow and black happy handle and explosive bolts shear the MR blades off then off you go! Happy Landings!

fighterwingbear.jpg

Anyone informed on this subject?

Oh and will this "Big Shark" add on be hard to control?

I can't fight much in these simulations (and yes I do play Falcon 4 and IL2) cos its too difficult but I can fly quite well in them :)

Mizzy

Compared to fixed-wing aircraft, helo's by their nature are a handful to fly, just because they're so different than what you are used to. However, coaxial helo's are inherintly much more stable than conventional designs. Changes in collective do not need to be balanced with the tail rotor. And a higher over all center of lift causes the weight of the machine to have more of an effect in righting itself when the controls are released. I've seen images of Gyrodyne coax's hovering hands-off... Do that in any other helicopter and you're asking for Bad Things .

Having said that, you still have alot more to worry about in flying a helo than you do an aircraft. Speed limits need to be closely watched, and you need to know what maneuvers you can and cant do at certain speeds. In a coax, something as simple as kicking the tail to a side with the pedals when strafing something at a high speed can cause a rotor collision (due to how coax machines control yaw).

Harder to control? Not really. Just a pain in the neck in it's own special way.

well yes choppers are alot harder to fly than planes,but i dont think that the ka50 will be anything like flying a regular helicopter,i think it will fly somewhere in between,if u look at it the hard part about flying a reg(by that i mean one with a main rotar and tail rotar) is that the KA dosent have a tail rotar it has 2 main ones that provide lift but cancel eachother out at the same time making it fly more like a plane more than anything else..this is just my opinion,if there are some ppl out there that have the experience in flying a twin rotar chopper post something about it,well even the devs could let us know since they made it..

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

If you have rudder pedals and hotas the experience is not like anything you've done before in jets. Speaking from the Apache point of view in LB2 I found that getting the aircraft to fly required alot of concentration but after a while it comes naturally. Is the Ka50 Aerobatic like the 64? Can it do loops and rolls, even if it can't its still easier to fly a contra-rotating heli than a conventional one from what I've heard. Also the bigger the helicopter, the easier it is to fly. KA50 will require some decent tutorials and training aids as heli-flying is very demanding and requires alot of practice. The fun part is getting it to land where its suposed to land, that was always the most difficult part of any helisim including the oldest one Tomahawk.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

personally, i am looking forward to flying the helos more than anything else that is due in any future version. I love helos... yes, its gonna take some practise, but the results of the long hours training will be oh so worth it :)

Actually flying a helicopter isn't all that different from a fixed wing aircraft.. however the real challenge comes from trying to hover within one diameter of the blades. With counter rotating blades it will make things easier but maintaining a hover will still require some pretty intense concentration at first.

If you have FS9 you can really get a good feel of what its like to fly a chopper and a good place to start with M$FS is "Hovercontrol". They have lots of info and resources including all types of missions like SAR, EMS or anything from the civil world of Helicopter aviation.

Here's some screen shots I took from a logging campaign that's going on right now over at HC.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

If you have FS9 you can really get a good feel of what its like to fly a chopper and a good place to start with M$FS is "Hovercontrol". They have lots of info and resources including all types of missions like SAR, EMS or anything from the civil world of Helicopter aviation.

Here's some screen shots I took from a logging campaign that's going on right now over at HC.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

. . . . I think I have a new favourite toy to play with. Helicopters and fun stuff in MSFS . . . . pity the ground textures aren't so good, really.

. . . . I think I have a new favourite toy to play with. Helicopters and fun stuff in MSFS . . . . pity the ground textures aren't so good, really.

Check out this thread http://69.44.154.34/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=1790 it gives you very realistic sensitivity settings for MSFS.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Check out this thread http://69.44.154.34/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=1790 it gives you very realistic sensitivity settings for MSFS.

Hmmn . . . . that might make flying the JetRanger easier, I've been having difficulty with it so far.

The R22 is fine, and flying the JetRanger just around isn't too bad - but attempting to tippy-toe around in the JetRanger is getting frustrating for me now :p

Guest IguanaKing

Flying a helicopter is definitely harder than flying a jet. Remembering how much pedal to give and in which direction depending on the change in collective. Vortex rings. Mast bumping. Oh...helicopters are far more sensitive to density altitude and other meteorological factors as well. ;)

Flying a helicopter is definitely harder than flying a jet. Remembering how much pedal to give and in which direction depending on the change in collective. Vortex rings. Mast bumping. Oh...helicopters are far more sensitive to density altitude and other meteorological factors as well. ;)

Yes, I think MSFS2004's Jetranger repair crew will definitely agree with you on that one :p