Wireless TrackClip Pro

Now that the wireless headsets are becoming a reality, with increasing quality of transmission, I looked into how to convert TrackClip Pro into a wireless device.

You can actually do so rather easily.

41MfhWEC9aL.jpg

Above is a 2x AA USB charger or small LED flashlight. Mounting it with Velcro to the top of the headset results in a power source right next to your TrackClip, now all you need is to shorten the USB wire from the TrackClip to the USB charger. With 2x AA batteries, based on moderate estimates the TrackClip LEDs should be able to stay powered for 1-2 weeks without problems, of course this depends on the batteries used. The nice thing about this is also the fact that it has an OFF switch, so that you can switch off the power source when not flying. Also, the added weight on your headset is roughly 46g and since it is mounted with Velcro you can take it off without much harm on demand.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M9Z5F6

Anyways, hope someone finds this useful.

-Sov

Thanks! :thumbup: ...ordered!

BTW, for those like me who wear glasses and did not give that a try., I use to attach my TrackClip Pro to left branch and I can get used to it. Now, I don't know if the extra weight will be an issue (23g + 2xAA batteries')...

I ahve seen this b4 but the charger is not easy to find in stores and I no longer have a credit card for online ordering.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Someone else had suggested (actually did it) a lithium rechargeable battery, which seemed smaller than this one.

Its on the headset thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=67081&page=2

Also no need to have rechargeable or dispensable AAA Batteries in your system.

AAA Baterries even if an old concept can be troublesome for your flight life :D

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

They make even smaller (lighter) Li-Ion battery packs now that you can clip/tape onto your headset to have "wireless TIR". ;)

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

They make even smaller (lighter) Li-Ion battery packs now that you can clip/tape onto your headset to have "wireless TIR". ;)

Indeed. Many options out there that can work for this application. I am glad that more people are becoming aware of all the options one can exploit to go wireless with TCP.

I, however, was specifically looking for AA powered source because I always have rechargeable AA batteries that are ready to go, as well as I really hate having 100 different chargers for different lithium batteries and if all of the sudden it runs flat mid-flight popping out two AA batteries and throwing two fresh ones is rather painless.

Not arguing your point... however, my Li-Ion battery pack comes with a simple USB charger cord (no charger per se, just plug it in and charge the unit).

However, the TIR uses hardly any juice whatsoever to power the LEDs. I've no kidding charged the Li-Ion pack powering the TIR clip only ONCE in the last 6 months!!!

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Crunch,

Due to de fact that flightsims have a lot of similar orders, your mic had better be good if you use voicecommander or the like, or you ll end up in a nightmare wondering how you ll going to diferenciate that order form that one and them remembering what you did.

At least it was the case for me.

Sometimes on Ebay you can find theold but excellent mic LABTEC LVa 7330 Its the mic only. But theres others products with mic and phones.

The mic only is 10 bucks on e-bay.

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Not arguing your point... however, my Li-Ion battery pack comes with a simple USB charger cord (no charger per se, just plug it in and charge the unit).

However, the TIR uses hardly any juice whatsoever to power the LEDs. I've no kidding charged the Li-Ion pack powering the TIR clip only ONCE in the last 6 months!!!

Can you share which one you are using?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=67081&page=2

Just look for Teej's and my replies (#16 & #19).

Let us know how it works. I'm sure there are even smaller/lighter solutions available now.

I bought the "Varta Easy Energy USB" at Amazon.de... it's very cheap, but not available on Amazon.com (Varta = german company)

It's not a beauty but who cares.

Speaking of recharging-interval: that of course depends on how often you use it, but I will try to use normal Batteries since they do not self-discharge as much as rechargable batteries. So they may even work longer.

Gallus caelum imperabit... :pilotfly:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, AMD Phenom II X6 @3.7, 16GB DDR3, ASUS Radeon HD 6950, OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB, ACER 24" 1920x1200 + LG 19" 1280x1024, Logitech G930, Saitek X52, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR-5 Pro

REPLY: CRUNCH

REPLY: CRUNCH...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"What about a light wireless headset with Mic? Sound quality is not important since I just mine for voice comms. Can someone recommend a very light wireless headset please? Thanks"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No but you might consider this....very comfortable and not a weight problem... I am loving this one

Logitech G930 Wireless Surround Sound You can get it for $119 maybe less on sale, usual $159. Seen lately for $89

TIR Proclip fits perfectly on the sideband

The charge truly lasts 10 hours. It has good range.. they say 40 feet but I have I have been downstairs and outside and can still communicate in TS3

BTW This wireless solution for TIR will free me up again.. Now I can pause the view and walk around again...when I have to...and not miss a thing

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248

Edited by MegOhm_SD
sic
  • Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Hows the weight compared to default setup?

Now I can give you some more information.

I used the USB-Adapter with 2 AA-Batteries for 1 week. I mounted it on the top of the headset: the weight itself is not much of a problem, but if you pitch your head back of forward, the weight of the batteries makes the headset come loose (it may fall off).

The solution: I mounted it on the back of the right speaker with a Velcro strip and fixed the cable on the top with two cable ties.

Now the headset has a good "grip" again and the weight does not really bother me (was used to it after 5 minutes).

If you want me to I can upload a picture with my "construction".

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, AMD Phenom II X6 @3.7, 16GB DDR3, ASUS Radeon HD 6950, OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB, ACER 24" 1920x1200 + LG 19" 1280x1024, Logitech G930, Saitek X52, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR-5 Pro

I have thought about this before. One of the worst things about the Clip is that crappy wire. I'm on my second TCP now because the wire always gets a breakage in it, my current one is now starting to go too. Additionally, it sucks feeling like you are tethered to some thing. For some reason even the headphones I wear (which are wired) don't feel as restrictive.

After using Nvidia's 3D vision (wireless) active shutter glasses it made me wonder why Natural Point don't release a TCP powered the same way. A rechargeable Lithium-ion battery http://3dvision-blog.com/upgrading-the-rechargeable-battery-of-the-3d-vision-shutter-glasses/

For a home mod would these battery not be more pratical than using AA batteries? Or do LED use a lot more power? (I know little about such things so excuse any ignorance)

Another crazy theory I had to lighten the power source for a wireless version was to use 1 led and some Fibre Optic cable to make three lights, would that work?

I'm disappointed that there is not more innovation from Natural Point in this area.

I too would like to see some pics of your work.

Thanks

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I think that any bright enough led would do the job and I could make it work with a Velleman LED lamp from which 3 were selected out of 7.

Although fibers may be too directional light sources, it looks like there should be some smart solutions to be discovered as long as the only constraint is having to provide those 3 bright points and LEDs are not power hungry devices.

Here a link to the picture, hope it works...

http://img4web.com/view/MZMGK2

Edit:

I just saw that on the picture the MZMGK2MZMGK2USB-connector was lose, but that can be fixed simply with the Velcro strip. This part also holds an additional amount of the wire just in case some cable needs to be connected (to have some spare wire without cutting the cable tie).

Edited by BigHub

The idea of being restricted with a wireless headset didn't make sense, so I tried this as well. Pretty pleased with the results.

I did cut excess wire from the USB cable, not really a problem as it is only a red and black power wire to splice. If you are confident in your hands it is a very simple process.

See http://www.sdsquad.com/index.php?topic=2403.0 for more details on how I completed this project and more pictures

290598212_S3010215(Medium).thumb.JPG.22931471a7a38c2ac28004eea395517f.JPG

535744322_S3010216(Medium).thumb.JPG.821d31b9478122de9b6228cff32e023c.JPG

505389956_S3010218(Medium).thumb.JPG.b7d0d4a9fb8cea0c1f761943f13e17a0.JPG

Edited by shelt
link

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift