toby23

-----------------------------

07/08 Important Update

-----------------------------

Please download the Combined Document Pack from HERE to obtain this file

UPDATED FOR VERSION 1.1.0.9

Start Up Guide v1.2 - 27/07

Mission Data Card v.1.7 - 05/08

After reading all of the excellent Start Up Guides out there, I wanted to make one that is simple and easy to use for flying missions and campaigns, for beginners, like me, who have gone through the tutorials but need a helping hand starting up their machines.

It was important for me to be able to print this checklist out on 2 sides of Din A4 so that it fits in a transparent sleeve, which is easy to use and store.

I don't have much free time, so as much as I respect the official start-up procedures, this guide aims to get you in the air as quickly as possible.

I have also redesigned the Mission Data Card and tailored it for missions and campaigns, as I don't fly online. This is also included below and I hope that it helps some of you as it has me.

Print two to a page and you should have a handy reference card during your missions.

Many thanks to Snoopy for his excellent Real Life Checklists upon which my guide is based. It's great to have someone who works with these planes on board here and helps to make it feel all the more real.

This wouldn't have been possible without the information you have shared with us. Thank you.

Happy hunting

Edited by toby23
Updated for Version 1.1.0.9
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

I notice that you start the AC gens before the engines are even started.

I usually do:

1- APU start, then APU gen

2- Start both engines

3- AC gens ON

4- APU gen OFF

5- APU stop

This prevents me from having a "Master Caution" when both AC gens and APU gens are running.

Am I wrong doing so?

Ps: nice rampstart document, very easy to read and follow step by step

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Hello toby,

thats a damn good tutorial. I will add it to my collection to be provided for the whole community.

There are only a few things which you´d go over again please.

22 Switch UHF Radio to MAIN and SQUELCH

23 Switch VHF FM/AM to TR and SQUELCH

The Squelch is just the test Switch. If you hear a transmission noise so the Radios are operating. To switch on the Radio, set VHF AM and FM to TR and the UHF Radio to main.

37 Press RLSK 3 ʻNAVʼ

This is not RLSK 3, its OSB 8. The buttons are beginning with the horizontal line of buttons over the MFCDS and then clockwise around. so you have osb 1-5 above the MFCD OSB 6-10 at the right side. OSB 11-15 below the MFCD and 16-20 at the left side of the MFCD.

40 Switch IFFCC to TEST, Switch JTRS and CICU ON

Actually it doesnt matter when you switch CICU and IFFCC on but I´d recommend to do so once APU switch was set to PWR. Thats why IFFCC takes a little time until its finished. But this is not quite important, we´re talking about one Minute here that you´d probably waste by this. INS alignement begins once APU provides Power to CDU and EGI.

To the whole tut...

:thumbup: and earns reps.

EDIT: Thread added to the Tutorial Collection

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Hi Memphis,

1. Regarding SQUELCH, that's just my way of reminding me to check for transmission, I know it's just a test switch but thanks for your feedback.

2. Re: RLSK 3 NAV

That's what confused me about your tutorial.

Try this version and you'll see how it's different.

According to the official checklist, you use the CDU directly not the MFCD CDU Repeater.

The EGI Alignment has already been started earlier by switching on the EGI.

So when alignment has completed, you press RLSK 3 to go to the NAV page.

Only after you've done this are the MFCD's switched on.

Like I said, this guide is based on the official real life guide posted by Snoopy, I can't argue with it because I'm not a real life pilot.

Thanks again.

-----------------

To xjiks, Page 424 of the Manual. AC generators set to PWR as part of pre-flight start-up check.

See HERE for more information

Edited by toby23

1. Regarding SQUELCH, that's just my way of reminding me to check for transmission, I know it's just a test switch but thanks for your feedback.

Nevermind, havent noticed or even read to fast...you have mentioned respective switches...:doh: :D

2. Re: RLSK 3 NAV

That's what confused me about your tutorial.

Try this version and you'll see how it's different.

According to the official checklist, you use the CDU directly not the MFCD CDU Repeater.

The EGI Alignment has already been started earlier by switching on the EGI.

So when alignment has completed, you press RLSK 3 to go to the NAV page.

Only after you've done this are the MFCD's switched on.

OK, I see now what you mean. You´d nontheless clear up that you´re talking about the CDU Panel on the right console. It might be confuse someone if you just say CDU only...I just proofed it..:music_whistling:

Generelly one can not say that this is for beginners. This is more for advanced users who already know about the start up procedure and want to expand their knowledge or want to become more real Piloting like. At the end it´s quite a well written tutorial espacially cause you cared about real life proceudre.

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 4 weeks later...

slackerD,

1. This is a Start Up Checklist and assumes Launch Cockpit Setup has been completed, so yes, the Emergency Brake handle should be in the correct position, which is why I recommend to Check the Emergency Brake position. The same goes for the Flap position.

2. Cycle Pitot Heat switch to test (it's working), not Cycle Pitot switch to test (position). This is a simulation, so this is pointless, but I like the procedure.

3. How do you know that the Squat switch inhibits CMSP operation in real life? I thought it only controlled the Anti-Skid System and the Speedbrakes.

What do you do in real life that makes you qualified to give this advice?

Just for your info, this Checklist is based on the manual and a real A-10C crew chief's procedures.

Edited by toby23

Because for cold starts the flaps start extended, the flaps switch should be set to match the existing flap position (DN) prior to energizing the hydraulic systems. You could pinch someone's fingers pretty hard and it also is a draw on hydraulic power (and thus engine) right as you're starting the engines.

While it's a good idea to make sure your switches agree with flight control positions, when the hydraulic systems are powering up, it's typical for the ailerons and other control surfaces to go squirrely and move around on their own as the system begins feeding the actuators. Ailerons tend to drop under their own weight when the system is off and at startup are usually drooping down. Everyone who has any business on the flightline knows to stay well away from moving aircraft surfaces while hydraulic power is applied.

Probably don't want to switch CMSP to an operating mode before fencing in. At the very least not before entering the runway. If the threat is close I'll switch CMS to operate, change to AWACs freq just before the run up. Squat switch inhibits CMS operation on the ground but squat switches break like it's their calling in life.

The CMS should be left in standby until you're fenced in. Should be enabled in chocks if simply to confirm the system is operating for BIT and CMD inventory. Wouldn't be a good idea to go into a warzone when half your flare buckets are reading zero because of dispenser switch failure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Updated 05/08

Mission Data Card v1.7

- Updated to correctly represent 9-Line order. (As JTAC reads out information, you can enter it from left to right)

- Updated to enable entry of AWACS targets

- Support Callsigns properly integrated

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
Sorry to revive an old thread but where can I obtain this guide? The link in first post gave me this error:

This site can’t be reached

files.digitalcombatsimulator.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Actually, I like the more real-life full checklists, like those on the real aircraft manual, or those made by the 476th virtual squadron that are based on the real one.

For a more simplified Checklist, may I suggest this one:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59427

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Sorry to revive an old thread but where can I obtain this guide? The link in first post gave me this error:

This site can’t be reached

files.digitalcombatsimulator.com’s server IP address could not be found.

I would also recommend Chuck's guides found HERE if you haven't download it already? The 375th have some very good documents too, that also go into emergency procedures, this will help once you start combat.

Once you have done the startup quite a few times using the step by step approach, start doing the flow by memory then check it off against the checklist, that's how it's done in real aircraft IRL, just takes time for it to sink in.

Hard to stay real proficient when jumping around to different aircraft like many of us do.;)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link