Lock On is CPU limited, period!

Well, something that I found a while back was that changing a game resolution did not bring any (or very little) change in FPS!

Even the fastest video card outhere, the 7800 GTX, is showing exactly the same results (see link below).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/evga-7800gtx_18.html

What is definatley nedeed is dual core processor optimisation for FC 1.2!

Well just how much would it cost to optimize the FC for dual core processors? Out of blue I would say 20 000 us dollars! Or maybe 30 000! That is 1500 copies, 19.99 dollars each!

I will buy dual core processor for christmas, but only if Lock On supports it! And I am sure there are a lots of other flight simmers that think the same!

Regards,

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Well concidering I was getting better fps with my 9800pro than they were with their 7800 I'd say something wrong is with their benchmark.

FiringSquad also uses LOMAC as a benchmark and they have a definate improvement with the 7800.

At the same time there is no doubt that a fast cpu is important for performance.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I will buy dual core processor for christmas, but only if Lock On supports it! And I am sure there are a lots of other flight simmers that think the same!

Go ahead. Don't buy the dual core processor as ED is not in the processor business anyway. As a matter of, ED is going to work at their own pace whether you buy dual core or not.

I think no matter what, more optimization is required in whatever ED releases next. Even at a mediocre LOD performance isn't constantly adequate. It's the main reason why I havn't purchased FC and I very much suspect it will be a deciding factor in any of their future software.

Dual core CPU's suck at gaming, So unless you want to render in 3ds, rip mp3's, play mp3's, have 34 internet exploer windows open, and compress files at the same time dual core is not worth it.

For the top of the line Dual core you can get a FX-57 which is alot better for gaming.

Rule is, don't buy dual core unless you are goign to multitask alot.

Go ahead. Don't buy the dual core processor as ED is not in the processor business anyway. As a matter of, ED is going to work at their own pace whether you buy dual core or not.

BOPrey, that was 100% unnecessary comment ;)

As SK said - feel the love to your buddy simmers

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

Dual core CPU's suck at gaming, So unless you want to render in 3ds, rip mp3's, play mp3's, have 34 internet exploer windows open, and compress files at the same time dual core is not worth it.

For the top of the line Dual core you can get a FX-57 which is alot better for gaming.

For now, but it is the future for cpus since pure clock speed seems to be topping out. Much like 3d accerators it will probably take a few years for things to mainstream and take off.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Remember dual core CPUs WILL help ... the other core will hopefully get all the other back-ground rubbish running on your machine, thus allowing 1 core to be dedicated to LO. If each core is as fast as the top of the line single core chip, then in theory you should see an improvement over a sngle core system. However, there is usually an overhead associated with MP systems ... and at one time (back in NTs early days), adding a 4th CPU to a 3 CPU MP system would give no improvement!

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

well there is some truth in that but they sure dont "suck at gaming", i will admit tho, they are not optimised for most games and have to be told to behave with them, but most games i do play on this rig i get way better fps with it compared to my slower rig, but that doesnt count for lockon, i get roughly the same fps and sometimes smoother play with a slower machine, i dont even think a fx57 would be that great for lockon as time and time again it has been proven that no matter what highend pc you use to run lomac on you will only get so much fps with it. On a lighter note, most new games will be optimised for dual core, thus bringing out the full potential of the chip in the very near future...

hi all,

probably one way to improve lomac FPS is to implement these new PPU (physic processor unit). they will be out in september and already are supported from Epic (new Unreal engine) and others software house (also sony whit new PS 3).

see here for some infos:

http://www.ageia.com/index.html

i think that this could be the solution because i imagine that physic, in lomac, occupies the most of cpu's elaboration.

ED what do you think about this?

hi all,

probably one way to improve lomac FPS is to implement these new PPU (physic processor unit). they will be out in september and already are supported from Epic (new Unreal engine) and others software house (also sony whit new PS 3).

see here for some infos:

http://www.ageia.com/index.html

i think that this could be the solution because i imagine that physic, in lomac, occupies the most of cpu's elaboration.

ED what do you think about this?

This would probably not help much, since there is little physics processing.

I disagree here:

Dual core CPU's will improve Lock-On performance, at least if you play it online: One CPU would process Lock-On, while the other one would process your antivir, firewall (if not in XP) and game voice software (Teamspeak ..). Provided that the user may allocate certain tasks or processes to certain CPU's.

For the time being, especially an antivir software is slowing down Lock-On.

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Maybe PPU could be reprogrammed that way that it would be used to take over calculation of AI behaviour and flight dynamics?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Maybe PPU could be reprogrammed that way that it would be used to take over calculation of AI behaviour and flight dynamics?
Probably not going to happen. Isn't that PPU designed to process physics in a specific way?

It would be more interesting to have the DC and AI processed by one core of a DC-CPU, and the sound, physics, mesh-generation, network by the other core. The concept is simple, the implementation isn't.

Rwriting LOMAC to support multiprocessing won't just 'cost 20000 out of the blue'. The who thing needs to rewritten with threads in a specific manner and optimized for SMP. It's actually a pretty big task, and, FYI, does 20000 even cover a single person's salary for a year?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This would probably not help much, since there is little physics processing.

i'm not sure there is little phisics processing because all flight models (airplane, missiles and helicopters) are governed from phisics law, also propagation of radar waves are governed from phisics law. many things that belong to lomac's world are governed from physics laws. now i don't know how much exact is the physics simulated in lomac but if it is (exact) i think that there are many things to calculate!!!!!

ED how many time does the cpu spend to calculate the physics in lomac?

Well, something that I found a while back was that changing a game resolution did not bring any (or very little) change in FPS!

Even the fastest video card outhere, the 7800 GTX, is showing exactly the same results (see link below).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/evga-7800gtx_18.html

What is definatley nedeed is dual core processor optimisation for FC 1.2!

Well just how much would it cost to optimize the FC for dual core processors? Out of blue I would say 20 000 us dollars! Or maybe 30 000! That is 1500 copies, 19.99 dollars each!

Regards,

actually the way to prove it was cpu or gpu limited would be to try it with serveral combinations of gpu and cpu to see.. hmm sort of like this one http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/page8.asp which for some strange reason seems to get like 2x the framerate of the one in xbit labs.

now for a pop quiz.

1) 7800GTX 1024x768x32,4AA,16AF - the faster the cpu the higher the framerates. Is it GPU or CPU limited?

2) 7800GTX 1600x1200x32,4AA,16AF - the faster the cpu the same frame rates I get. Is it GPU or CPU limited?

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
, FYI, does 20000 even cover a single person's salary for a year?

YES, £20,000 is a common yearly salary in the uk :tongue:

YES, £20,000 is a common yearly salary in the uk :tongue:

Not for a good C++ programmer with multi-processor knowledge ... at least not down south of the boarder! And remember you salary is approx 1/2 of the cost of you to your company! So, more like £120,000 p.a.

All right. I did not mean to be offensive and if I did I appologize for that.

I would disagree that ED is and should "work on their own pace". I hope ED is a market oriented company that strives towards designing, producing, marketing and seling a product, with reasonable return (profit), a product that can compete on the market.

Market driven means that a hi tech company must stay on top of the high technology! That is if there is competition.

If there is no competition ED could "work on their own pace". However, that bussines attitude usually backfires and is potentialy bad for the company and often bad for a consumer as well.

Regards,

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Dual core CPU's suck at gaming ...

This is not a true statement when it comes to Flight Simulations designed to use dual core or multiple processor computers.

Falcon 4.0 works 30% faster on dual core, multiple processors computers! I remember when I bought my Falcon 4.0, many years ago! And I do remember when the code was optimized for multiple processors! Even then, it was rather abvious that Modern Air Combat Flight simulators (for PC's) needed more then one processors to do the job.

I do not play Falcon 4.0 any more. Most likely, never will again. FC is my flight simulator and I will continue supporting it no matter how good or how bad it is!