Tank Busting 101

I've created a mission (attached) that I hope will help everyone to bust tanks more effeciently. I know it has for me! If you need to repeat any instructions or tips, you can do it in your F10 'Other' Radio Menu. Try to follow the waypoints as it shows you how to use your MK1 eyeball and get a beam on the target properly.

There are a few bonus suprises if you kill all four groups.

If you make fun of my voice overs it will hurt my feelings... not everyone can be Matt frickin' Wagner! :)

picture.php?albumid=495&pictureid=3454

Welcome to Tank Busting Practice!

You'll have two groups of non-aggressive T80 Main Battle Tanks moving up the runways at waypoint 3.

They'll be moving very slowly on a south-north track. They will not disperse.

Once you kill those they'll be replaced by two groups of AGGRESSIVE T80s which will disperse under fire.

Smoke marks the 1.5nm run in point off the east and west runways;

red/orange at 5k and white at 3k.

Take off and you'll receive further instructions in the air.

Please follow all waypoints until initial attack.

NOTES:

If you want to continue the mission after death, be sure to have Permit Crash Recover set in your options.

You may also want to add unlimited fuel/ammo in options while training.

If you're having trouble hearing radio calls, turn your World and In Cockpit audio levels down in options.

To review tips and messages, use your F10 radio menu.

IP Inbound

You're 10nm from target.

Some things to remember when tankbusting with the GAU-8:

1. Alignment is important.. use the smoke as a run in reference

2. Engage your PAC and don't fight it, let it fly you in

3. Slant should be at least 15+, the more the better.. if you can still pull out comfortably that is...

4. Don't let your speed drop too much, PAC isn't as effective and you're making yourself a target

5. Practice getting beam, or a wing, on the target and rolling in at 1.5nm.. marked by smoke

6. On egress, practice velocity on both axes to avoid retaliatory fire

7. If it doesn’t look good then wave-off and go around for another try

8. Practice fire discipline. Use as little ammo as possible on each run

POST RUN-IN REMINDERS:

Consider:

1. Roll-In aspect----------(target off wing)

2. Slant---------------------(-15 to -30)

3. Speed-------------------(270+)

4. PAC----------------------(Let it fly)

5. Range-------------------(fire at .7 to .4nm)

6. Wave off ---------------(if it's not pretty turn away)

7. Ammo-------------------(as little rounds as possible for effect)

8. Egress-------------------(up and across)

The smoke is just a reference at 5k and 3k. Try different altitudes and see what works.

Roll around to the smoke and give it another try! Take your time! Review and analyze!

Congrats!

You've killed all tanks!

Try different tactics and perfect your technique. Get surgical!

Can you kill them all in one weapons load?

That's no more than 71 rounds per tank!

Mission End

Edit: Added a multiplayer version

Now in UserFiles:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1222074/

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 2

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Fixed some bugs in my flags and reuploaded.

Added radio items to detonate non-agg tanks if you want to go straight to agg tanks.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Good stuff Strongarm. I gave it a couple of tries and after having fun with the cannon, loaded up some CBU 97's. A good one to test that on also with lots of explosions. Thanks

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

It helped me a lot. My aileron rolls on run in are 100% better, and I'm able to take atleast the first 8 tanks out with one load of rounds. After practicing quite a bit, I was even able to take a four tank column out in a single gun pass (luck played a big part I think).

I need more practice, it took the entire drum for 2 tanks... :(

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The one factor I've found effects kills with the GAU more than anything else is alignment and stability. If the rounds aren't being planted in one concentrated spot you can use a whole can on one tank and not bust it. If you are stable and the rounds are concentrated, you can do it in a quarter second burst.

Edited by StrongHarm

Please report on your success after flying the mission a few times and practicing. TankBusting101 improved me a lot, but hey.. I built the mission based on what I needed. Maybe it won't do so much for others. I'm curious.

Ok here is a new twist. I thought I kept getting shot down on the aggressive set of tanks. Then I tweaked some settings came back in and got half the right wing blown off on the first set. WTH? (I did manage an ugly but survivable landing)

At first I thought a ricochet got me but close examination of the replay showed I was hitting 9+ g's on some of my pull outs. I was breaking the dang wing off.

I guess the very light weight allowed for high g's and not having stores under the wings to relieve wing bending forces made it possible to snap it off. Now I wonder how many times I've done this in missions.

On the plus side I'm racking up landings to reload. First try only got 2 tanks on a drum. Second 5. Been improving slightly but steadly since.

How do I reload only the gun? Using the show smoke reload works for the gun but is there a gun's only loadout?

Doright.. soon we'll have a 'default reload' option. I hope on the next build. In the meantime I use the show load (F8, F2, F1, F1).

Thanks for the feedback, I hoped it was helping other peoples skill as much as it was helping my own. Try to maintain 270-300knts at all times during gunning practice.

jeffyd.. can you elaborate on your impotence please?

Gave the mission a whirl last night some...

My main problem is I target the back tank, then try to come back around for another run and cant spot the next tank because of the smoke....

What are you guys doing to see through the muck?

Roll out on target, hold down 1st stage trigger once the pipper flies over your target (don't worry about super-duper accuracy, your pipper can be right beside the target, doesn't need to be directly on it. RL huds have some amount of acceptable error from reality anyway, about the width of a HUD line) ... hold PAC 1 down until you reach desired distance, fire 2-sec burst and break away.

I find a huge amount of error happens if you try to correct after engaging PAC 1 - just get PAC 1 accurate enough to begin with and let it fly you into range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Leaving aside the fact that this is about gun practice ...

Don't do that. Destroy the first and last vehicle in the column with mavericks, attack with guns when out of mavs. Then come in from the sides where you can see (side and REAR, not side and FRONT).

Gave the mission a whirl last night some...

My main problem is I target the back tank, then try to come back around for another run and cant spot the next tank because of the smoke....

What are you guys doing to see through the muck?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Played some more this morning. It's addicting. Didn't break off a single wing today. Finally got the salute, nice touch that. With only 4 drums (ok, that needs work).

.7 to .4 NM range would be 4300' to 2400' or between 4 and 2 o'clock on gun pipper range ring bar. It's easier for me to use the ring then read the range text below the pipper. A whole lot closer then I use to open fire.

The plane rotates about the depressible pipper in the hud (provided you haven't depressed it) so rolling out on the target the gun pipper moves in an arc below to depressible pipper. Still experimenting with trying to anticipate the arc to be rolled out right on target or roll out with the depressible pipper on the target and pull the gun pipper up to the target. Suggestions? Or should I even be that concerned with being level, will PAC correct for non-level attack?

Trying to train myself to always push the speed brake close button whenever I move throttle to max power. Want it to be a reflexive action, whether I had them open or not. Don't know how many times I've been trying to climb out after an attack wondering why it's getting so noisy in the cockpit.

General question, is the pivot gun on the T-80 remotely operated or does operator have to stick half his body out?

Leaving aside the fact that this is about gun practice ...

Don't do that. Destroy the first and last vehicle in the column with mavericks, attack with guns when out of mavs. Then come in from the sides where you can see (side and REAR, not side and FRONT).

Hrmmmm...all this time I have been listening to what everyone has been saying about attacking from the rear on these tanks. All of my guns runs on the tanks I have been positioning my runs so I get to the rear of the tank, and in this test mission if you do that you have the smoke problem.

Then I looked at the .trk that Viper posted in the other tank thread in the general forum and saw him take all of them out with basically side (maybe rear quarter) shots. I know he was shooting from a bit closer in, but those tanks went up pretty easy with shots from the sides.

Gonna have to try some different stuff.

Rear aspect means you're hitting the back of the tank. You don't necessarily have to be on the same exact heading as the tank. Hit F10, click on one of the tanks, then hit F7. Take a close look at the T80 and where the gas tank and engine compartment are. You just have to put some rounds through that. :)

As for smoke blocking your view of further tanks; roll in a few seconds before you're absolute rear.. in other words, a few degrees off 180' of the tank.. perhaps 170'- 150'. You can then see the next tank up past the smoke.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I'm glad it's helping. It sure has helped my technique.

how does that work with a HOTAS that has no trigger detent?

Use keyboard for PAC-1 [P]

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Here's a link to an article on the gun written by a real A10 pilot from the cold war era for SimHQ for Lock-on Modern Air Combat. I'm sure some of his tactics will apply today.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_098g.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

• 9 months later...

Added multiplayer version to assist in tankbusting personal instruction.