iControl DCS (Another iPad pit)

iControl DCS (Another iPad pit)  

222 members have voted

1. 1. iControl DCS (Another iPad pit)

• Hell yeah!
    • Nah, TouchIR stuff is good enough

Great to hear.

Another update - I just submitted iControl DCS v4.0 to Apple for review. It'll have a complete graphics overhaul with native retina support for the new iPad. A portrait CDU option. Full controls for a cold startup, and more.

Hopefully it gets approved and released before I leave to head to Wisconsin for Airventure and family visitation in 10 days! :pilotfly:

iControl DCS/DCS Virtual Cockpit - Full featured iPad Cockpit - Now with Android support!

A10 Virtual Cockpit Free - Free limited functionality version of iControl DCS!

DCS Virtual Cockpit - Android version!

Follow on Twitter for all the latest news

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - everything works in new version... The only problem is that i have to manually add ip adress everytime i start icontrol dcs on my ipad

Make sure you've got Bonjour installed. Though, there are some networks that bonjour just won't work on and you will have to manually enter the ip.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999

iControl DCS/DCS Virtual Cockpit - Full featured iPad Cockpit - Now with Android support!

Thanks tried install bonjour file (but i am using itunes and there is bonjour inside it) but nothing helps..how can i make ipad to remember ip adress entered in icontrol dcs?

Can i copy somewhere ip adress of my server utils so i dont have to manually enter everytime i start icotrol dcs on ipad?

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Can i copy somewhere ip adress of my server utils so i dont have to manually enter everytime i start icotrol dcs on ipad?

Currently, no, you cannot.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok just a littleinfo...all this happened after I changed my Internet service provider...Maybe this will help with finding a quick fix...

It's possible that your WiFi router changed and won't work with bonjour any more.

Alright folks, here's a beta release of A-10 VC Server for DCS World

http://bit.ly/N9aF59

It will NOT work with the standalone version of A-10C.

Let me know how it works for everyone!

Damn, how on earth did I miss this. Huge thanks Boarder, really missing flying without being able to use the iPad.

Also thanks for doing V4, can't wait to use it.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

It's possible that your WiFi router changed and won't work with bonjour any more.

Thanks boarder in the meantime the problem fixed itself...now icontrol dcs app on my ipad remembers ip adress of server app

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Went to Oshkosh last weekend and got this photo - They wouldn't let me climb in and try starting it though ;)

IMG_5809.jpg

Loving the demo of the app, but before I hand over my AUD$32 I was just wondering if you plan to integrate future Aircraft at all, and if so would you put them into the same App, would you would make an in-App purchase for them, or build a completely separate app for them?

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loving the demo of the app, but before I hand over my AUD$32 I was just wondering if you plan to integrate future Aircraft at all, and if so would you put them into the same App, would you would make an in-App purchase for them, or build a completely separate app for them?

At this point, I don't actually have a good answer for that question.

I've got a few ideas, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. So for the time being, consider it stand alone for A-10 only! :smilewink:

OK, thanks.

From a consumer's standpoint $32 is quite an investment in an app, and I don't object to paying it to integrate with DSC for a high level of fidelity, but $32 x 3, 4, etc aircraft is an entirely different prospect. If you made it $32 for the core app +1 aircraft (A-10 in this case) and $10 per additional aircraft via an in app purchase, that would be more likely to get customers to re-invest...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Boarder2, i got 3 questions, first of all i love the app!

#1 any chance you can add an option to use a button to switch between screens instead of a 2 finger swipe? swiping sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries and it's a bit annoying, buttons on each screen to switch to another view rather than swiping twice from the cdu to see the mfdcs and so on would be amazing and help get things done quicker

#2 I have the paid version on my ipad and the free version on my girlfriends ipad, any chance you can maybe keep the layout of the mfcds and ufc in the lay layout on the free version? I can see why you'd want the free version to be set up the way it is but just a shot in the dark. Maybe even being able to unlock the full version if there's one ipad connected that running the paid version? just curious

#3 any chance to add a textbox so that we can type in mission data and view it as a pop up by pressing a button? right now i take a screen shot on my phone, it'd be nice to just be able to type it in or even better snap a picture from the app and view it without switching to another app.

overall it's a great product!

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

#1 - Yep, that's coming in a future version. I thought swiping would be a good way to do it, but it turns out it's pretty difficult to use. That said, it's going to require a pretty significant rework of how I do things, so it'll be in the next major version. No ETA on that yet.

#2 - If you log into the App Store on your second iPad using the Apple account you purchased with you should be able to install the full version that way. You can do this on up to 5 devices that you own.

#3 - This is something I've considered. I won't commit to doing it, but I won't say it's out of the realm of possibility either :)

In fact, I'd rather just get the mission data directly from the sim and be able to display that. I'd probably still add note taking functionality too. We'll see! Glad you like it :thumbup:

#1 any chance you can add an option to use a button to switch between screens instead of a 2 finger swipe? swiping sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries and it's a bit annoying, buttons on each screen to switch to another view rather than swiping twice from the cdu to see the mfdcs and so on would be amazing and help get things done quicker

This really use to bug me as well and it would be good to have the buttons to switch screens. However, I have found that if you start your two finger swipr from the very top edge or very bottom edge of the Ipad (A.K.A outside the normal touch area), then the change screen function works quite smoothly.

Hope this helps.

#1 - Yep, that's coming in a future version. I thought swiping would be a good way to do it, but it turns out it's pretty difficult to use. That said, it's going to require a pretty significant rework of how I do things, so it'll be in the next major version. No ETA on that yet.

#2 - If you log into the App Store on your second iPad using the Apple account you purchased with you should be able to install the full version that way. You can do this on up to 5 devices that you own.

#3 - This is something I've considered. I won't commit to doing it, but I won't say it's out of the realm of possibility either :)

In fact, I'd rather just get the mission data directly from the sim and be able to display that. I'd probably still add note taking functionality too. We'll see! Glad you like it :thumbup:

Thanks! yes swiping in theory is a lot better than in practice, the issue is most people have a screen protector, and that can cause issues, also the ipad is on a stand, on an angle to be see and used while flying which makes your hand position a big deal.

Another thing i forgot to mention is that the radio knobs sometimes dont respond correctly, sometimes i swipe up on the freq knob of a radio and the number is lowered, i think the fact that the plane has knobs without pointers is a pain but then again pilots have the tactical feedback, maybe if the knobs you have on the app all had a little pointer like a scratch look or even an actual pointer it would help to know if i just rolled the knob up or down.

Obviously the other BIG thing would be to drag and drop but that's just me wishing :-D

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

Hey Boarder. I'm loving the latest version of iControl DCS. Thanks for adding the portrait CDU, I've had access to a second iPad for a while now and being able to run one dedicated to the CDU is really sweat.

I'm sure you've got lots of things planned for future releases already but I wanted to throw in another couple of suggestions I think will make the app even more useful. Since we now know how to export not just the MFDs and CDU but all of the cockpit displays, I'm hoping you can add some additional layouts in future releases so we can take advantage of this.

First would be a UFC + RWR + CMSC layout as shown in the first attached image. Since I have physical MFDs, as I'm sure others do as well, I have no need for the "soft" MFDs in iControl DCS so it would be much more useful to display these on my front iPad instead.

Second is a CMSP + CDU, or CMSP + Caution/Warning Panel layout in portrait. Actually, as I'm writing this I'm thinking it would be really cool if in portrait you could swipe between CMSP + Caution/Warning Panel | CDU | TACAN/ILS/AHRS as though you were looking down the right console. See the second attachment for an idea of what I mean.

Thanks again for the great software!

2106833322_iControlDCS.png.6cba94789e5b5e2b8a52004d0ece80c4.png

172260758_iControlDCS-Portrait.thumb.png.cbe69955088e1aba70b85a16be3585f6.png

ok have question everything works fine but when i change from one or another screen it disconnects every time. any fix for this ?

That definitely shouldn't happen. Send me an email at support@bit-shift.com and we'll try to figure out what's going on!

Edited by boarder2

Sorry I have not read all previous posts. Are you considering an Android version?

If I would buy an iPad to just run this, what version do I need? Is the communication with DCS done over the network?

I will not be creating an Android version. If you want to hold out for an alternate platform, I can almost guarantee there will be a Windows 8 version that will work on WinRT tablets (Surface, etc.)

Any iPad will work for iControl DCS. Generation 2 and 3 devices have more processing power and you will get higher framerates with the MFCDs, but generation 1 devices are still very usable.

All communication is done via WiFi. 802.11B is not fast enough, G or N are what you'll want to use. This is something that should be on the website, I'll add it this weekend!

Thanks boarder2, I'll be looking to buy a generation 2 ipad then. I resently bought the Touch Pilot but that don't cover the A-10C but works fine for FSX and stuff. I will send some cash when ready to run ;)

(HJ)

Awesome. Enjoy! :pilotfly:

I bought i Control DCS Full feature but I am not able to make it work.

When I open in the windows A-10C VC Server (for DCS alone), Device is green but SIM is red.

In the DCS Option I selected A-10C Virtual Cockpit server.

In the program files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS A-10C/Config/MonitorSetup I found also A-10 Virtual Cockpit Server.lua.A10Original.BAK (BAK File)

I don't know what I have to do.

Thanks for all your advice.

Lion

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

132virtualwing.org