NDB Navigation

Kula66

Is it possible in the Hog and if so, how? Where is the info for the becon frequencies and what is the relationship between TACAN beacons and NDBs?

Thanks

PS> The runway directions shown in the CDU, I know they are rounded up/down, but are these supposed to magnetic or true?

Thanks HellMutt, I did find that thread with the airfield diagrams on. I've also found some approach plates for that part of the world, but was wondering how you would use A-10 systems to locate and work with NDBs and the HSI.

Is it possible in the Hog and if so, how? Where is the info for the becon frequencies and what is the relationship between TACAN beacons and NDBs?

Thanks

PS> The runway directions shown in the CDU, I know they are rounded up/down, but are these supposed to magnetic or true?

TACANs are more closely related to VORs. In fact, a large number of civilian VORs are co-located with military TACANs, with the resulting navigational aid known as a VORTAC, and bears a different icon on navigation charts.

That being said, NDBs are a completely different, and older technology. Non Directional Beacons emit the same signal in every direction, whilst VOR/TACAN beacons emit a signal that allows aircraft with the proper equipment to identify exactly what bearing they are to/from the station, and the slant range to the beacon. (DME, or Distance Measuring Equipment.)

Some light reading can of course be found on wikipedia. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_landing_system

The last one includes a list of TACAN code to ILS frequency conversions, which is pretty cool.

Also, runway numbers are always magnetic headings, until you get to the extreme northern or southern latitudes, when runways are numbered with true headings due to large magnetic variations. The airport diagram chart will generally have both magnetic and true headings on it.

• Like 1

Thanks MrYenko, but the question is can you use systems on the A-10 to work with NDBs? And are NDBs available within the DCS:A10 world, where can I find the frequencies and locations ... I seem to remember that they were in the BS world.

The reason I ask about runways is coming into Batumi, the runway doesn't appear to be 130, more like 125 and the CDU shows 13.

can you use systems on the A-10 to work with NDBs? And are NDBs available within the DCS:A10 world

Yes you can, though the number of beacons is limited - location & Hz given in the manual (Same page as ISL Hz & locations I think).

Cheers.

Yes you can, though the number of beacons is limited - location & Hz given in the manual (Same page as ISL Hz & locations I think).

Are you referring to the TACAN List? As MrYenko posted above TACAN and NDB are different.

A similar question was asked last week in the Tech Support Section.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1122693&postcount=1 and still hasn't been answered.

Thanks for the help,

I noted that there is a reference to ADF on one of the radios - is this related? Can this be linked to the HSI?

Manual states non-operational. I've trying do similar check as with black shark - comms with wingman and check wheter hsi indication slaved to uhf adf will change when wingman broadcasting (chatting) - no luck though.

I have not seen a single NDB station on the DCS A-10C scenario in Caucasus.

Only TACAN and only in some selected Georgian Airports. And sadly no located where the actual VORTAC stations are in the real life so they serve not for IFR approaches since all the bearings and ranges do not correspond to the published ones in RL plates

However in order to fly IFR I have found a nice method to replicate NDB. Simply create a Navigation point on the editor on the exact possition of the RL NDB station, you can even name it the same as it RL counterpart.

Select it as Steerpoint and you can use you CDI or RMI on your HSI to fly the needle and bearings.

Actually I am populating an empty scenario with all the relevant air navigation watpoints VFR and IFR (IAF, IF, STAR and SID.....) as well all the relevant waypoints related to the construction of slected approaches ILS and VOR or NDB.

With this done, I use this template to create on top all new scenarios I am flying and this way I have my CDU all the nav data I need to fly any approach or route. Just like the Honewell MCDU I use at work. ;)

Well the A-10 des not build and fly the approaches, but if you have the plates, you can simply create an "approach" flight plan on your CDU using the previously stores relevant Nav points on your CDU.

So if you are fliying in the soup and have to land in Batumi, simply create a new flight plan to NEDEK for the STAR arrival , from there go to the IAF that can be LU (An NDB) and fly the approach, fly over AKAIKI, the IAF, pass the FAP and there you are flying your ILS needles :smartass:

I already have Batumi, Kutaisi and Lochini.

• Like 1

Rep inbound, Furia.

I've got another one for you if you can post your template once you have it finished! :thumbup:

I've been disappointed I couldn't fly non-precision approaches at some of the airfields.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

War-Hawks

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Intel i7 Gulftown 3.46GHz CPU

MountainMods Ascension Case

EVGA 4X SLI Classified MOBO

3 X EVGA GTX 580 Hydrocopper

Koolance Water Cooling

Silverstone 1500W PSU

24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

LOL, I will post the scenario template as soon as I have it fully ready.

I am including airways waypoints as well.

You will need the actual charts to make full use of it.

Thank you, Furia, this will be a very nice addition to DCS A-10C for me. The CDU is capable of a lot and can hold a large number of waypoints and I think this is a good use of those slots. I can rationalize by thinking of them as GPS coordinates for known navaids. I do hope that that the NDB function of the radios will become useful in future patches as well.

Some really creative people are starting to come up with great missions and it would be great to integrate your navaid waypoints into them. I hope they will consider using your template going forward.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

As the coordinates are printed next to the NDBs in the charts I have, that's a good way to fly the non-precision approaches and full procedures. I'll punch them in as waypoints as required. In fact, AFAIK todays area navigation capable aircraft tend to use their own nav systems to calculate the ADF indications anyway when using NDBs. I can see why, especially when there are thunderstorms around... :)

Of course you are still supposed to check your raw data... as word has it one unfortunate B744 captain didn't do ten years or so ago when electing to hold at an NDB which wasn't on the air, and NOTAMed as such. Apparently caused a bit of a stir. :D

• ED Team

A-10 can't use current NDBs because its have a different ranges of frequency.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу