It just get's better and better!!

CarneyUK

Since final release (and don't even go there with bugs, ctd's etc etc, there are other threads for that) I have been flying the sim everynight as much as I can. Trying out new stuff, reading the manual and trying to get to grips with the A10C.

At first I didn't have a clue what I was doing, could take off and land without ATC as I couldn't work the radios. Then I figured out radios...well sort off. I can get ATC, I can talk to the JTAC and I can talk to my wingmen.....so for now that will do. Still loads to learn till I'm a ninja Rad Op.

I then decided to get a startup checklist, tried a few, liked them, tried to make my own then found one by the paulkriii of the 25th FVS found here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1122275&postcount=9 An awesome checklist (that you would expect considering the job :music_whistling:) At first it took me about 25 minutes to go through the checklist up to Airborne.. but now I can have it done in less than 10! Haven't got to Egress yet as I am normally on the floor by then.....after a nice bit of freefall LOL

By this time I was able to use the TGP and the Mav pages, OK to a limited degree, but I could get a target and get it SPI'd to the Mav page. I would then normally slew the cursor to try and get the Mav to lock until I found out today the TMS Forward Short would lock on and allow me to fire my Mav quicker, thus less chance of that freefall part.

After starting online hosting flights just to practice and allow others to practice with real peeps, I then went on and tried another server with an AFAC (many thanks btw for the help and patience, really enjoyed the flight, although short!! and apologies I can't remember the name...think it's 161st Fire or something ). After sending me the Co-ords for my target I didn't have a clue how to find it. After 5 minutes of me flying in a straight line with no communication (still looking for my target :doh:) the AFAC figured this out and told me to put it in the CDU as a waypoint, hey presto, I slewed the TGP, SPI'd, selcted Mav, couldn't lock on as I didn't know the TMS Forward Short at the time, switched to guns and then flew in, took a target out and got some freefall in at the same time!! Keep forgetting they shoot back LOL.

As the title says, this sim just get's better and better. It does take some brain power and a steep learning curve, but even though I keep ending up with more ejections than landings...I still get the feeling of acheivement, just by learning how to do another task in the sim, the manual is a must, there a 669 pages for a reason......

....The moral of the story, if at first you fail, try, try again!! Enjoy :joystick:

• Like 3

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

For me, when I master this Simulator, it will be a real "feather in my cap" as my Grandfather used to say...and the CDU is the Final Frontier!

• Like 1

and the CDU is the Final Frontier!

over-rated, like the Abris. Does a million things, fact is, you only need about 5 of them. Final Frontier? fill yer boots mate! You'll be there an awfull long time and at the end of it about 1% of the A-10C community will know what your on about. It takes up more pages in the manual than anything else, but dont let that stop the drive for excellence!

+1 good luck!

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

I LOVE THIS GAME ( or simulation :D )

+1

• Like 1

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

Yep, nice fun last night.

The mission is still WIP, therefore it was all a little bit improvisation. I wish, we had a TS3, then we could communicate easier. I hate to chat while flying. But it worked very well with Mac (I forgot the full nick).

It's a shame, that SADL (send target, SPI broadcast, buddylasing) isn't working. :(

But I'm happy, that the performance was better, as I thought. We had 1 E-3A, 1 KC-135, 4 F-15E, 2 F-15C, 2 Tornados and a lot of ground stuff in that mission - plus 4 clients. Maybe, I can give some ground untis waypoints, but when they moving, I think there is much more engine performance necessary.

kind regards,

VJS-161 Fire :smilewink:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, nice fun last night.

The mission is still WIP, therefore it was all a little bit improvisation. I wish, we had a TS3, then we could communicate easier. I hate to chat while flying. But it worked very well with Mac (I forgot the full nick).

It worked well and I think it helped in a way as I could get the co-ords via the chat histroy :D

TS3 would be awesome. I have got TARS and TS3 downloaded and am yet to try it out.

• 1 month later...
How long more would it take to be a master. A month and I am still a rookiee. God dammit I see why to train a pilot cost million dollars

It all dependas on how much time you can put in, how much brain power you have (some will learn quicker than others,) how much previous knowledge you have of aircraft and weapon systems and most of all how much you want to learn.

It has taken me a few months of 2 - 3 hours of flying every other night to get to a point where I am fairly happy with using the systems. The BEST way to learn all this is get the basics then GET ONLINE!! You will find most people are a lot more patient than you would think and it really does add to the fun!!

Bekro it gets easier, what worked for me was do the first quick mission till I got weapons delivery sussed and flew with friends online for take offs and landings. Read about other things then went to learn in game. Like how to create markpoints etc. Lots of Finns in our community if you feel like popping along.

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How long more would it take to be a master. A month and I am still a rookiee. God dammit I see why to train a pilot cost million dollars

I'm flying BS for about 1,5 year, and I still feel I have much to learn. I think, it will be the same with A10 after 1,5 year of flying.

The skill cieling in these sims is extremly high.

Bekro it gets easier, what worked for me was do the first quick mission till I got weapons delivery sussed and flew with friends online for take offs and landings. Read about other things then went to learn in game. Like how to create markpoints etc. Lots of Finns in our community if you feel like popping along.

I did that first mission soooo many times, I could almost do it in my sleep. But I did learn how to do about 75-80% of "normal operations" that I do in every other mission. I'm hoping to go online at some point...still overwhelmed though.

Agree with OP, nothing comes close to this. I haven't felt this great since flying ball sims when I was in the Navy.

There are a lot of things to learn and some things are more important than others, true. The question is; what is an acceptable level of understanding? Enough to kill effectively? Enough to feel like you accomplished something significant? Undefinable?

I read the manual before flying, and have read it four times since, cover to cover. Once I surrendered to the manual, I found that I really enjoyed it. It's a shame how many people use it purely for reference. I can't tell you how many people I've met in multiplayer that didn't know there was a divert page in the CDU where you could get ILS/TACAN/RADIO/NAV information for every airfield. Besides that fact that three buttons gets you on the ground quicker than searching through waypoints or slewing the CDU. That's just one example.

I don't mind answering questions in multiplayer. As a matter of fact, I often open a server to the community to do just that. I am glad however, that I'm the one answering more questions than I'm asking. It's very frustrating to me personally to not understand the task I'm about.

RTFM... it satisfies!

picture.php?albumid=495&pictureid=3448

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Hey Strong, I'm with you on RTFM. Everytime I open it I take something from it and apply it to my fly'n. A printed copy is a must if want to master this Sim and about 1000 combat Flight hours and more then that in book time..I would guess..lol This can only get better..5x5:thumbup::pilotfly:

Edited by slowhand

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Great pic StrongHarm. I'm still chuckling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This sim is truly awesome! I'm amazed at the level of detail. I'm a real Cessna 172 pilot and this sim is the closest thing I've had to real flight on a PC.

Right now with my limited free time, I'm not sure if I'll ever mess with FSX or X-plane anymore :) I'm having a BLAST in my hog! I feel pretty confident in using most of the systems but I still haven't taken the plunge into Online flight. Where should I start? Is there a recommended server to get my feet wet in Multiplayer? What do you guys recommended?

Thanks

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lay out some trucks and troops in a mountain pass in the mission editor (suggest putting them 'on road' for position). Make your load HEI rounds only and 25% fuel. That hawg performs!

I was running in on an SA site a few days ago and got stuck in a cloud.. literally. I was flying through the cloud and had one of those 'Shock and DCS Awe'™ moments. I grinned big and brought it around to play in the cloud for a while and forgot all about my SA. Sure glad nothing nasty came along.

picture.php?albumid=502&pictureid=3449

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Automag n redtail your more than welcome to take the online plunge with me. I host regularly and post my ts details in server name you can find it also via the Zeus link below pop on anytime

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will find most people are a lot more patient than you would think and it really does add to the fun!!

Word.

Screw MMO's. Community's there suck.

Previous experience with Flight Sim Community was just RESPECT. Seeing the same pattern here.

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Thanks Cibit, I guess I should get Team Speak and get everything setup first. As soon as I can get some time, I'll give it a go. Funny thing is although I'm a private pilot, I still am a little intimidated by online flying :) I did try out Vatsim awhile ago and that wasn't too bad.

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]