Where are the cannons of these aircraft?

VVanks

This has been bugging me for a bit lately. I was looking at aircraft pictures and I can't seem to find where the cannons are placed on a few aircraft.

Where are the cannons on:

Mig21, Mirage 2000, Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-35

I've looked at a ton of pictures but I can't figure out where they find space to put these guns in. I think The f-35 has a bulge and that's where the gun is, but for the rest of the aircraft mentioned, I can't find it.

Some of these you can google planview cutaways.

MiG-21, some early models don't have guns. The ones you see now do (MiG-21bis) but old photos (MiG-21P I think) don't. When they do it's a belly pack of twin-barrel 23mm roughly under the cockpit.

Mirage series single seaters have the DEFA revolver cannon nestled under the inlets just ahead of the wingroots. Rafale same position but only on the port side, just one gun on that.

Eurofighter has a 27mm Mauser nestled above the port intake I think.

F-35 has a 25mm gatling gun in the same spot.

The Typhoon's gun is in the starboard wing root, you won't be able to see it as the gun is totally covered and the opening for the barrel is covered by a frangible cover that the rounds would pass through on firing.

If you look really hard from the right angle you can see a small bump which is not present on the leading edge of the port wing root.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

MiG-21 guns by version:

MiG-21F 'Fishbed-C': 2 30mm NR-30

MiG-21F-13 'Fishbed-C': 1 x NR-30 cannon

MiG-21PF 'Fishbed-D': no gun

MiG-21PFS 'Fishbed-D': GP-9 underfuselage gunpod

MiG-21PF(SPS): same

MiG-21FL 'Fishbed-E': same

MiG-21PFM 'Fishbed-F': same

MiG-21PFMA 'Fishbed-F': same

MiG-21M 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MIG-21R 'Fishbed-H': Reconnaissance version - none

MiG-21MF 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MiG-21MF-75 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MiG-21RF: none

MiG-21SMT 'Fishbed-K': ?

MiG-21bis 'Fishbed-L': Gsh-23

MiG-21bis 'Fishbed-M': Gsh-23

MiG-21U-400 'Mongol-A': Gsh-23

MiG-21U-600 'Mongol-A': Gsh-23

MiG-21US 'Mongol-B': Gsh-23

MiG-21UM 'Mongol-B': Gsh-23

source:http://wiki.scramble.nl/index.php/Mikoyan_Gurevich_MiG-21

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

• 1 month later...
The Typhoon's gun is in the starboard wing root, you won't be able to see it as the gun is totally covered and the opening for the barrel is covered by a frangible cover that the rounds would pass through on firing.

If you look really hard from the right angle you can see a small bump which is not present on the leading edge of the port wing root.

Hmm, what seems to be the point of a frangible cover? They'll have to replace it every time they fire the cannon.

MiG-21 guns by version:

MiG-21F 'Fishbed-C': 2 30mm NR-30

MiG-21F-13 'Fishbed-C': 1 x NR-30 cannon

MiG-21PF 'Fishbed-D': no gun

MiG-21PFS 'Fishbed-D': GP-9 underfuselage gunpod

MiG-21PF(SPS): same

MiG-21FL 'Fishbed-E': same

MiG-21PFM 'Fishbed-F': same

MiG-21PFMA 'Fishbed-F': same

MiG-21M 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MIG-21R 'Fishbed-H': Reconnaissance version - none

MiG-21MF 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MiG-21MF-75 'Fishbed-J': Gsh-23

MiG-21RF: none

MiG-21SMT 'Fishbed-K': ?

MiG-21bis 'Fishbed-L': Gsh-23

MiG-21bis 'Fishbed-M': Gsh-23

MiG-21U-400 'Mongol-A': Gsh-23

MiG-21U-600 'Mongol-A': Gsh-23

MiG-21US 'Mongol-B': Gsh-23

MiG-21UM 'Mongol-B': Gsh-23

source:http://wiki.scramble.nl/index.php/Mikoyan_Gurevich_MiG-21

I don't think the UM "Mongol-B" has a gun it's a 2-seater training aircraft, there's a polish one in my area and I couldn't see its gun when I searched it... I think I once even read that it hasn't one...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hmm, what seems to be the point of a frangible cover? They'll have to replace it every time they fire the cannon.

Drag reduction, maintenance reduction for the gun, and most importantly radar cross section. It also makes it look better as well.

And as cannon aren't used as much these days, having to replace it isn't as much of an issue as it would have been in years past.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Drag reduction, maintenance reduction for the gun, and most importantly radar cross section. It also makes it look better as well.

And as cannon aren't used as much these days, having to replace it isn't as much of an issue as it would have been in years past.

How would such a cover for the Avenger look like after a bit of strafing? :)

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

Eddie I was under the impression that the cannon on the RAF Typhoon was there purely as ballast and would never actually be used on RAF jets?

It very much works and has already been used mate. ;)

Those rumours are total rubbish.

Spoiler

It very much works and has already been used mate. ;)

Those rumours are total rubbish.

Haha cheers for clearing that rumour up, a cpl told me that while I was having a look around one years ago, think he must have been a stacker.