Saving custom cockpit views

siefex

Hello all,

I noticed under "view" in the options -> controls menu that if you hit RCTRL+NUM0, you should be able to save user-defined cockpit views / angles. In relation to this point, I also noticed in the "views.lua" file that, supposedly, user-defined saved angles are placed in the snapviews.lua file.

The problem is, after I hit RCTRL+NUM0 while in the simulation in order to save a specific view, the angle data does not appear in the snapviews.lua file.

Also, I did whatever the views.lua file told me to do regarding changing a value to "false" in order to allow for user-defined snapviews to be saved.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this problem? Or, am I incorrect in thinking that RCTRL+NUM0 should save custom angles to be used with snapviews?

Note that I have already got my snapviews all working by setting my own coordinates in the snapviews.lua file but that took HOURS and I never want to do it again. Just want to see if this is an easier option to use in the future in case I want to change anything. Thanks!

I just last night worked out the proper sequence for 'saving cockpit angles':

1. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

2. Choose the snap view you want to change and press that key: e.g. KP5

3. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

4. Move your view to desired position

5. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

6. Press the key of the snap view you chose before: KP5

Voila! RCTL KP0 and then KP5 should now give you the changed view you wanted. You can also, as you say above, now look in your SnapViews.lua file and see the values in [11][6] and save them for future reference.

I just last night worked out the proper sequence for 'saving cockpit angles':

1. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

2. Choose the snap view you want to change and press that key: e.g. KP5

3. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

4. Move your view to desired position

5. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

6. Press the key of the snap view you chose before: KP5

Voila! RCTL KP0 and then KP5 should now give you the changed view you wanted. You can also, as you say above, now look in your SnapViews.lua file and see the values in [11][6] and save them for future reference.

OMG that is ridiculous! How in the world did you figure that out? Man, I wasted a solid 3 hours customizing my snapviews by using x, y, z coordinates. Arg...

Well, thanks so much for sharing that. When I re-arrange my monitor setup in the future, that will come in very, very handy!

I find it easier to just

1. Press the snap view you want to change (view will reset when you release the button but that doesn't matter)

2. Move to the new position

3. Press RALT + KP0 and it will overwrite the last view you snapped to

I find it easier to just

1. Press the snap view you want to change (view will reset when you release the button but that doesn't matter)

2. Move to the new position

3. Press RALT + KP0 and it will overwrite the last view you snapped to

Ah -- well if that works, then yeah, that's definitely simpler, aside from the fact that you have to hold the snap view button down the whole time. Doesn't that interfere with moving your view to the new desired position, though?

Well i just press and release the button then move from the default position with my trackir to the the new position i want and hit RALT + KP0.

I don't understand how you can use Toggle snap view to configure your views. On my screen toggle snap view moves to a static view of snap view KP0 (trackir doesn't work in this static view).

If i try to press any other snap view button KP1-KP9 in this mode it will snap to that view and then back to the default trackir enabled view. So there is no way for me to go to and from a static view of snap view KP1-KP9 with trackir enabled and then overwrite the last pressed snap view with RALT + KP0

Edited by Peruvian

OK, I just tried the LWin+KPx method last night, and found that those key combos need to be held down, unlike the {RCTL KP0} DELAY(50) KPx method, which toggles them. It seems to me that toggling is better than holding down, because with the latter you can press other keys/buttons in the sim and have them be recognized, whereas in the former (I'm pretty sure, from past experiment) you cannot.

• 6 months later...

I am absolute beginner and I'm also trying to set cockpit views that stay put, so one can manipulate switches etc. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but GregP suggests pressing RCTL KP0 to view you want to change, untoggle snap views, save cockpit angles RALT KP0, great but it's still a snap view and in doesn't stay there when you lift off your finger.

Is there a way so I can choose a cockpit view and get it to stay there?

L_WIN + KP_#(*)   ... to select the "[u]Snap View of Interest[/u]"
R_ALT + KP_0      ... to "Save Cockpit Angles" for that view

* KP1 ... KP9 : Is the Snap View of Interest that remains in effect until you explicitely do something to change it! ... meaning: this is the one you're going to redefine when you hit R_ALT + KP_0, no matter what you do in the mean time (...so, you can do anything you want BUT KP related).

And here are some details on how it works, in order to translate it precisely enough for TARGET to understand what you want.

• 1 month later...

dumber than a bag of hammers....

Guys I can't get this for the life of me... I follow the written instruction TO THE LETTER and my snap views never differ from the default snap views. What am I screwing up? If there is a tutorial, comprehensive write up... anything... that I can use, it would be appreciated.

Edited by lawndartleo

Found it... this poster included the on important stp of killing default snap views

1. If you haven't already done so, set UseDefaultSnapViews=false in your View.lua file.

2. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

3. Press the snap view you want to change: KP5

4. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

5. Move/pan/zoom your view to where you want it; for me, simply using zoom in (*) and slightly panning the view up a bit got me a nice zoomed in HUD view.

6. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

7. Press the snap view you want to set: KP5

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey tried the snap views with TIR5 but it isnt working like its supposed to. I press ctrl+0 to lock it to the center view, and then when i press a number on the keypad it goes to the view but when I release the button it immeadiatly goes to my TIR standard view again. Why isnt it staying in the numpad position after release of the button?? Ps, I remapped the ctrl+0 to just numpad 0. Also remapped the numpad snap views (normally lwin+1-9) to just numpad 1 till 9. Standard setting is lwin+numpad to snap to the view but the standard settings dont work either. Are the views supposed to snap back after release.

Ps, I noticed a button to set niew views in dcs, does anybody know how this works, I would like to get a llittle bit more of the panel in the view since im playing on 2560*1440 resolution.

Where can I find the ctrl+num1-9 keys in my configuration screen, I only see snapview 1-9 and those are linked to lwin+num1-9 .

Just a quick/dirty reply for you to check whether you do it right or not:

1 - Ctrl-0 is meant to be a STATE-CHANGER (i.e. it toggles from one view handling mode to another until you do it again)

...in one mode, a Numpad press-release snaps its view back and forth.

...in the other, it selects your current view.

2 - ...

Ps, I remapped the ctrl+0 to just numpad 0.

... it seems you've just ruined the "tricky" intended behavior of Ctrl-0 "toggle keystoke" ;)

Also, I suggest your read once more all that has been said about Snapviews in these forums a little slower as I'm pretty sure your answers are in there ... As I could do whatever I needed to automate snap views handing with TARGET, meaning that, as tricky as it is, you should get what you're looking for.

... and I think that number pad bindings are built-ins that are not open to customization as of now.

Right.Know how to set up snap views in game but they do not save to the snapview.lua so when I start a new game the snap views go back to original.The UseDefaultSnapViews = false,DisableSnapViewsSaving = false.So does that mean you have to manually set up values in the snapviews.lua.Doing a saving snap view(RALT + KP0) only works for the game your in?

:drink:

• 3 weeks later...

Another setting that if worth mentioning is:

DisableSnapViewsSaving = false

in Views.lua. This setting defaults to true and unless changed the (excellent) method described above does not work.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Another thing to add to the list more of a quick check really, I have a problem with all DCS titles regarding the right ALT key (Or Angry ALT as i call it, Alt Grrr!) it does not recognize in DCS but works in windows and every other title i own, So what ever is mapped to it i have to change.

If you're Angry Alt is like mine, when you try to save the new view you may be hitting problems with the key not responding, Just for reference i'm using a Logitech G19.

Hope it helps somebody.

Edited by =EF=DAZZYD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]