Hud color

vegachavez

Have had many tests holding my CPL. No problems unless I have a change in the last 10 years. How about you do you get yours tested?

Hmm, color perception must have been at least 10 years ago as well during the checkout for mandatory service, but no problems. Could be different monitor settings as well...

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 7 months later...

Thanks all for this thread, that green pale HUD was driving me batty! I used to use a yellow HUD in Falcon, and have recreated it here with this:

day_color = {255/255, 255/255, 0/255, 255/255}

I have not changed the night color. I used this site to pick the color:

http://html-color-codes.info/ (it is also referenced on page 2 of this thread I think)

It is: FFFF00 I find it works for me, but may tweak it over time now that I can make my HUD any color I want!

Could be different monitor settings as well...

It is either monitor settings or some sort of deviation from standard human vision, which typically shows highest perception for green shades (that is why HUDs are green or yellow-green).

Standard HUD is more readable for me too. In fact the difference is so high, that standard color could be described as glowing, burning when compared to that screenshot with changed color.

P.S.: if someone finds standard HUD looking dimmed, they should try checking HDR setting. Colder settings make that green look somewhat dimmed.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Scorch,

What is the path to that line?

On Win 7 x64 it is....

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator

The file name is "HUD_init.lua", but the .lua will likely be hidden.

Open the file with Notepad (I like Notepad++ better) it's the 2nd to the last line.

Be sure to backup your original.

Here's my HUD_init if you'd like to try it.

Edited by Scorch

• 9 months later...

Beating the Dead Horse

Hi,

Some folks, and I completely believe them, say that the A-10 HUD drivers have to "suck it up" in terms of projected light onto the HUD combiner.

They do good things with HUDs these days, I can't imagine why they would not spend some $ to upgrade the A-10 HUD projection.

Here is a HUD that I fly every day.

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=6312

It's not perfect, but the brightness adjust knob is set about 30-40% in this photo. It will get really BRIGHT if you turn the knob. BUT, the clarity goes away and the edges get all fuzzy. Unless you are flying into the sun, then it seems sharp and bright.

Consequently, at night I have the brightness turned almost all the way down. About 5% normally. Sometimes the guy before me leaves the brightness wayyy up from a day flight, then I climb into the seat at night and drop the combiner down. The light from the projector does a soft start with brightness, but if I'm not paying attention, it is like getting a green camera flash right in the eyes at night. My night vision is toast for a minute after that.

You can see in this photo the combiner glass has a piece of mylar or something like that sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass. It has a bit of purple hue to it. I think maybe that has better reflective properties than the A-10 HUD, which may explain the difference.

Here's a night shot:

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=6313

This is probably around 10-15% brightness. You can see that the edges of the text are a bit fuzzy--it might be that the camera gathered a lot of light from them, but that's how it is to the human eye as well. I normally turn it down so the text is a bit dimmer, but very crisp. Easy to see. Not like the A-10C.

Modern stuff works better.

I have a short vid that if anyone wants I'll upload to dropbox. It has a part where I scan through the morning sun and you can see that the sun does blot out the text, but only where the ball of yellow light is. Outside of that everything is readable.

• ED Team
I have a short vid that if anyone wants I'll upload to dropbox. It has a part where I scan through the morning sun and you can see that the sun does blot out the text, but only where the ball of yellow light is. Outside of that everything is readable.

A video would be nice. What aircraft is it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

HUD Vids

Well, these are not perfect. For some reason, the camera has a really hard time picking up the entire HUD picture the same way the human eye sees it. When I look through the combiner, I see everything if my seat setting is in the right place. Even though I move the camera around, I cannot seem to get the full sight picture. Sorry.

Remember: Without the great mechanics, pilots are just pedestrians with cool sunglasses and leather jackets.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Unstow%20Operation.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Dimmer%20Demo.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Exit%20Cloud.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Pit%20Scan%20into%20the%20morning%20Sun.mp4

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Thanks Crashmo! Sorry for such a late answer. The videos will help us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• 6 years later...
On 6/3/2013 at 5:09 AM, Scorch said:

On Win 7 x64 it is....

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator

The file name is "HUD_init.lua", but the .lua will likely be hidden.

That was the correct file for me and it actually worked!  Had to update the path to A-10C_2 though, since I am using the new version they released.

Also found that you can change the HMCS Scorpion Helmet Display color by editing the materials["HUD_IND_GREEN"] in DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua

You can see in other parts of that file how it references that HUD color variable for the HMCS

Another note: you can test your changes by launching an instant action (Takeoff) mission.  If it doesn't work, exit the mission but stay in DCS.  Change the lua file again and then "Fly Again" - it should use your latest changes.