Horizon flickering bands!

Xxx

I know this is a well known graphics anomaly in Black Shark, however I have just spent quite a long time trying to find the fix and eliminate it. I thought at first it was my graphics card and spent an age altering the settings in Nhancer!! Nope, its in the sim!! A dx9 code anomaly.

To all new users the fix is a download from LockOnFiles and uses Modman to install. Here is the link:-

http://www.lockonfiles.com/index.php/files/file/1315-dcs-no-cloud-shadows-mod/

If I had been able to locate this more efficiently it would have saved me considerable time. Also its such an obvious "glitch". The horizon, viewed from the cockpit, has vertical bars that shimmer and are related to the cloud shadows. It spoils the superb realism this sim offers.

Hope this helps anyone like myself who thought it was their graphics card settings.

Best Regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I know this is a well known graphics anomaly in Black Shark, however I have just spent quite a long time trying to find the fix and eliminate it. I thought at first it was my graphics card and spent an age altering the settings in Nhancer!! Nope, its in the sim!! A dx9 code anomaly.

To all new users the fix is a download from LockOnFiles and uses Modman to install. Here is the link:-

http://www.lockonfiles.com/index.php/files/file/1315-dcs-no-cloud-shadows-mod/

If I had been able to locate this more efficiently it would have saved me considerable time. Also its such an obvious "glitch". The horizon, viewed from the cockpit, has vertical bars that shimmer and are related to the cloud shadows. It spoils the superb realism this sim offers.

Hope this helps anyone like myself who thought it was their graphics card settings.

Best Regards.

Be aware that it does not "fix" the problem, it simply removes the cloud shadows completely! :huh:

Me for example likes the cloud shadows more than dislike the flickering (and it does not appear when you gained a little altitude).

In DCS A-10C it is fixed (not removed) so the compatibility patch, which is sure to come might fix it for real. :thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 32GB | GeForce RTX 2080S - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Changing "far_clip" from 14000 to something like 75000 reduces the vertical line glitches also, but you will still see the cloud shadows. Lowering far_clip also introduces some more haze and less visibility, which is much more realistic than the crazy far visibility range you get with 14000 (extremely rare in reality). By lowering far_clip you also win a few fps.

I still use the DCS No Cloud Shadows Mod though for FC2 and BS, as cloud shadows don't affect all ground objects in the right way (something that also has been fixed in DCS A10).

My 2cents :smilewink:

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]