Is there a way to hide the control stick?

zakmichaels

Did a search but didn't find this....

I bought the TM Warthog HOTAS so I'd like to "hide" the animated control stick since it obstructs the view of other cockpit controls. I thought there was a keyboard command to do this in DCS Blackshark (but I'm not sure???). Is there such a thing in A-10C?

Thanks in advance,

Zak

I think this would be a nice touch aswell. Especially for me as I don't have track IR (on the list along with GTX460 and TM Warthog and a remortgage on the house LOL), and when changing to ILS, HARS etc it can be a pain to get to the switches.

At least with the option, everyone can have it how they wish.

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

Yeah, I'll submit a vote in favor of an option to hide the stick (and a similar option for the throttle). Since I already have a stick and throttle on my desktop, I don't have an issue with any compromised "reality".

As a programmer myself, I agree with EtherealN that its doubtful this would do much if anything to improve performance. As far as how hard this is, it could be hard or really easy. It just depends on the object model they used. If each cockpit control is an object with an inherited and implemented show/hide method then this might be real easy. If not, then it could be significantly harder.

like he said - make a mod with transparent textures, stick is gone.

as we have the final release now, i really think there is someone out there who can do that. if the mod is compatible with ModMan (once ModMan is compatible with DCS A-10), it will the work of a second to "activate/deactivate" the virtual stick in the pit.

(and yes, i would like that option too. and NO, THE STICK DOES NOT DECREASE THE FPS :P)

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cayenne

This just in....Breaking news !!!!

New Discovery,

You don't need to hide the stick or map transparent textures to it! All We have to do is figure out how to put it in its correct neutral position, the default neutral stick position just like the default eyepoint is wrong!!! look at real world cockpit photos carefully none of the sticks obscure the HSI from the correct eyepoint!!

For proof try this trick (only works with the correct eyepoint! http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68821&page=2)

while sitting on the tarmac or runway do this: Use the hotas or keyboard and trim all the way "up" you will notice that the stick moves aft and when it "bottoms out" this is approximately the correct real world neutral stick position. Don't try to take off like this. LOL

My guess is they did this to accommodate the midget (no offense to small people)

This is what correct eyepoint and correct neutral stick looks like...

ProperView.thumb.jpg.b3f60f9067e5bbf86af1a0a8a5a19a06.jpg

This just in....Breaking news !!!!

New Discovery,

You don't need to hide the stick or map transparent textures to it! All We have to do is figure out how to put it in its correct neutral position, the default neutral stick position just like the default eyepoint is wrong!!! look at real world cockpit photos carefully none of the sticks obscure the HSI from the correct eyepoint!!

For proof try this trick (only works with the correct eyepoint! http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68821&page=2)

while sitting on the tarmac or runway do this: Use the hotas or keyboard and trim all the way "up" you will notice that the stick moves aft and when it "bottoms out" this is approximately the correct real world neutral stick position. Don't try to take off like this. LOL

My guess is they did this to accommodate the midget (no offense to small people)

This is what correct eyepoint and correct neutral stick looks like...

You keep referring to real world!!!How do you KNOW THIS???:helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Guest Cayenne

You keep looking at the sim How do You know its correct? blind faith?

if You read iMy post it says real world imagery....its called research, I am not making this up as I provide You with the evidence. there is no room to make a heavy dive where the stick is. And if You simply check what I have provided You, You will see that the stick is half way between the seat and instrument panel and You can see the HSI just like "real".....makes perfect sense to Me.

Watch some YouTub vids of real pit action.......

Edited by Cayenne

You can also raise your seat...

(Yes, in case you didn't try it - it works. :) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You keep looking at the sim How do You know its correct? blind faith?

if You read iMy post it says real world imagery....

Yes, I know it says it is World Imagery!!! Why do you think DCS is not?? And the real Pilots and Crews Telling you Different? But You go ahead, It's your Sim, on your PC, Enjoy it, your way.. Me, I think I will stick with the Majority of experts here..:thumbup::book:

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

heck, Look at "real World imagery' of some of the Beach babes!!!Does not mean TH:doh:EY are REAL!!! A Joke....All enjoy as you wish!!!!:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to see an *option* to hide the stick so I can see the status of the navigation switches and other stuff. In Falcon4 the stick is in a different position than the A10 so there is no important blocking, but in this sim where awareness is so important and 3D environments are rendered in 2D, there needs to be some compensation for the technical limitations. As far as reality, the option would not prevent realists from eating cake. Pilots cannot look straight out the back either, so if 100% reality is the only acceptable criteria, get rid of 30% of the key commands and restrict the extent of the pilot's pan as Falcon4 does.

I would probably show and hide as the need arises. I too have sat in an A10 and people's bodies are more flexible than keyboard commands, even in a strapped flight suit.

-Pv-

Edited by -Pv-

Updated the mod, I've added the ability to show/hide the control stick and throttles in-game using an unused NVS LTS switch.

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

• 2 months later...

how to hide the stick

hey,

is there a way to hide the stick somehow ? i dont have track ir so i cant see the HSI very well when the stick is there. I was using this mod in 1.1.0.7

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38408/

but in latest patch it doesnt work anymore. Any ideas ?

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

yeah, thats the same mod I've been using until the latest patch, doesnt work anymore

i was just thinking if theres any other way to do that perhaps ? like edit some file or something to delete the stick completely, i dont need it there at all.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Nope, you can't hide the control stick and there has never been an option to do that. What you probably remembered was the show/hide pilot option.

In case you don't have track ir, get one because with it it's easy to look behind the stick.

Showing an animated pilot would be ultra cool. All this talk of hiding the stick. Well, that's just silly.:P

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Okay, I found out that the stick texture is loaded from file "A-10C_elements_01.dds" in archive "DCS A-10C\Bazar\A-10C\Model\Textures\A_10C_C_EDM_TEX.zip". I managed to convert it to tga, repaint that stick part of that texture file to black and convert it back to dds and copy it into the game. But the stick is then just black. Any ideas how to make that texture transparent ? I thought it would take black as transparent but it doesnt. But still, making that texture transparent seems to me as the easiest way to get rid of the stick. Any ideas anyone ? I will upload the file if i manage to make it work so anyone who wants can use it.

Edited by lanmancz
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll update my mod today and post it.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

thats great news, thanks a lot m8

it seems that my approach with the transparent texture doesnt work anyway. I created the alfa channel in the 32 bit tga, converted it into dds, verified that the dds contains the alfa channel but the game seems to ignore it, so i dont know. anyway, thanks again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]