Lockon high altitude clouds

Where are they?

I came across this Falcon4: Allied Force screenshot today, and suddenly noticed that there are no high altitude clouds like these in Lockon. Does anyone have a clue why? Do you suppose something like this is mod-able? These clouds give a great sence of depth and look really good imho...

highclouds.thumb.jpg.e49fda068245855a5ff63084cd2e2082.jpg

159th_invictalockonru.jpg

Yep, its a pitty. LOMAC only supports two types of clouds; the big puffy cumulous clouds and the complete overcasts. Nothing inbetween.

There IS a mod out there, not exactly what you're looking for...but relatively close. Its actually a single flat texture....a collosal flat skin that spans across the entire sky, or at least I think so, as to I remember it waay back before I uninstalled it.

KuostASigcopy.png

By the way where can I go for the official Falcon4: Allied Force site?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Thanks for tyhe link guys. Its Interesting but what I wanted the most was a flight model at least as good as LOMAC's and judging by the video there it hasnt changed that much.

My PC specs below:

Fight model as good a LOMAC's ? ????

Falcon4 provides an immersion level that is non-existant in LockON.

For me, the ONLY thing that keeps me playing lockon is the Graphical beauty of the

game...I still play Falcon because of it's immersion level.

Flight model .. balderdash....!

Real missles emulation .. pfsssssht..!

Radar ..... again...balderdash !

Keeping things in perspective, it is just a game and I do have fun with it still.

Thanks,

Brett

Fight model as good a LOMAC's ? ????

Falcon4 provides an immersion level that is non-existant in LockON.

For me, the ONLY thing that keeps me playing lockon is the Graphical beauty of the

game...I still play Falcon because of it's immersion level.

Flight model .. balderdash....!

Real missles emulation .. pfsssssht..!

Radar ..... again...balderdash !

Keeping things in perspective, it is just a game and I do have fun with it still.

Dont get me wrong... I flew F4 for 5 years and I still have it installed with BMS 2.0 and Hitiles+freefalcon 3

I have no longer time to play full campaigns wich leaves me with Solo play and no MP. With the aircraft on rails flightmodel I simply cant enjoy the sense of flight. The latest flightmodels of F-16 flies like a pig and at pitch angles of 40º and above it bleeds off speed badly. I thought it was supposed to be capable of accelerating in the vertical at low altitudes....oh whell.

Wing vapour trails look like serpentines hanging on the wings, more...missiles seem to glide forever making it extremely hard to fly away from their kinetic range.

I dont give a damn about graphics, honestly thats a rather poor way to judge a Sim.

F4 is all tactical theater operations and AG mission planning with all avionics to play with. LOMAC is everything else F4 doesnt have. Petty I have never found a SIM with both these strenghths.

My PC specs below:

Dont get me wrong... I flew F4 for 5 years and I still have it installed with BMS 2.0 and Hitiles+freefalcon 3

I have no longer time to play full campaigns wich leaves me with Solo play and no MP. With the aircraft on rails flightmodel I simply cant enjoy the sense of flight. Wing vapour trails look like serpentines hanging on the wings, more...missiles seem to glide forever making it extremely hard to fly away from their kinetic range.

I dont give a damn about graphics, honestly thats a rather poor way to judge a Sim.

F4 is all tactical theater operations and AG mission planning with all avionics to play with. LOMAC is everything else F4 doesnt have. Petty I have never found a SIM with both these strenghths.

You can tweak the values a bit yourself to give missiles a higher drag. Moreover, with HFFMs, the flight model of the F-16 pretty much matches exactly what is dictated by real Viper performance charts. So until you've flown both LOMAC, F4, and a real F-16C, it doesn't make much sense to criticize the 'feel' of flying provided by a sim ;)

But back to the topic at hand...in all honestly, I don't really miss them. I'd prefer lighting improvements, sound barrier effects and vapour condensation as the next steps towards eyecandy.

sigzk5.jpg

I have edited my previous post regarding another aspects of the F-16 flight model. I didnt finish it before you wrote your post:

With the aircraft on rails flightmodel I simply cant enjoy the sense of flight. The latest flightmodels of F-16 flies like a pig and at pitch angles of 40º and above it bleeds off speed badly. I thought it was supposed to be capable of accelerating in the vertical at low altitudes....oh whell.

My PC specs below:

Hey, no worries man. I was just saying that the F4 may have a different 'style' or 'feel', but to each their own I guess. Personally, I like LOMAC's FMs better - they feel a bit more 'smooth' during its transition to different parts of the flight envelope, but again, I am in no position to say anything about it.

sigzk5.jpg

The Falcon 4 16 *feels* like it's on rails, especially compared to the aircraft in Lock On, because it's a FLY BY WIRE aircraft. The aircraft in Lock On are all NON-FBW.

Heard this a million times already...do you think they actualy simulated any FBW control? The programmers just used point function interpolation from chart lists and left actual flight dynamics out.

F4 was not my first SIM with FBW aircraft. I have flown F-18 Sim's as well as other F-16 Sims. And F4 is the one that gives me the most feel of aircraft on rails, even compared to much older Sim's.

If you think FBW by some magic eleminates the dynamic sense of flight your kidding yourself. Its just there to prevent from departing controlled flight not to do "automan" kinda of magic manuevers defying laws of physics.

My PC specs below:

No need to get your panties in a twist, son...

Heard this a million times already...do you think they actualy simulated any FBW control?

Do *I* think that a PC game, especially one produced in the 1990's, simulates the actual FBW controls in the real jet? Uhhh... trick question? ;)

The programmers just used point function interpolation from chart lists and left actual flight dynamics out.

Falcon 4 uses a table-based flight model, just like any other flight sim produced in the 1990's did and the vast majority of sims produced this millenium do. Your point is... ??

F4 was not my first SIM with FBW aircraft. I have flown F-18 Sim's as well as other F-16 Sims. And F4 is the one that gives me the most feel of aircraft on rails, even compared to much older Sim's.

That's just fine, everyone is entitled to my opinion. ;)

not to do "automan" kinda of magic manuevers defying laws of physics.

Because there's a flight sim out there that doesn't... ??

If you think FBW by some magic eleminates the dynamic sense of flight your kidding yourself.

Ooooh, ahhhhh, big words! "Dynamic sense of flight"... and you know what that sense of flight is because you're a pilot with real-world experience flying which aircraft again... ??

No, really. I was merely suggesting to you that the F-16 may feel like it's "on rails" due to the FBW nature of the F-16, something I've heard from several real F-16 pilots commenting on this very subject. But what do they know about the "dynamic sense of flight"...

bms.jpg

No need to get your panties in a twist, son...

Falcon 4 uses a table-based flight model, just like any other flight sim produced in the 1990's did and the vast majority of sims produced this millenium do. Your point is... ??

Im hardly your "son"... you would have to be old as grandpa for that. ;)

My point was not entirely understood by your part, if you read what I talked with Dr sythe:

The latest flightmodels of F-16 flies like a pig and at pitch angles of 40º and above it bleeds off speed badly. I thought it was supposed to be capable of accelerating in the vertical at low altitudes....oh whell.

Taking account what I also said about point funtion interpolation, the game doesnt contemplate inertia and moments of inertia. Looking at the FM files I Only see data regarding laminar air flow over foils for balances of forces. And even that is screwed since I cannot acelerate past 40-50º pitch angle at low altitudes. Making some tight turns I see jittering and some rather strange attitudes of the plane as that part of the evelope depends on inertial forces and turbulent flow. In the game its simply badly disguised with a rocky canned script. It becomes completely aparent during any dogfight.

I know fundamentals of engeneering and some aerodynamics myself, so Im not excactly shooting in the dark here.

Oh and another thing: I did fly aerobatics IRL in gliders. I was impressed to observe rudder reversal at high altitude and low airspeeds In LOMAC 1.1 wich I had to opportunity to observe in gliders. I know its canned here too but its well canned. :p

My PC specs below:

Sorry Guys..

I didn't mean to start a flame.. just frustrated with some aspects of lockON that isn't right.

When Pilotasso, alluded that LockON's flight model is %whatever%... I just lost it

for a second.

my apoligies to all. I was having a bad day.

Thanks,

Brett

There is no problem whatsowever. I thought this discussion to be within resonable level still. I'm surprised you even apologized. there is no problem in teasing up a little as long as is not directly insulting. To date I have never realy get upset despite having being insulted 1 or 2 times. No problem realy. :)

My PC specs below:

I have to say that the F4s F-16 FM is pretty good, its closer to the real deal in alot of ways. The teams such as F4UT, FF3 and BMS have done a brilliant job so far in making a legendary flight sim much more playable. Now that LP has decided to point F4 in one direction and vastly improve on it then I think its great since there are alot of people who still fly this sim. From what I've heard so far AF has been made alot more stable and features alot of good stuff that never featured in the versions so far. If you want to hear a bit more check this out

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=89158

My opinion is that F4 simulates the F-16, and it does it extremely well, just as FC simulates the 25 and 25T extremely well. Theres always room for both on my hard drive.

Remember its possible the lockon successor maybe an F-16!

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

High-altitude clouds in Lockon

(old screenshots)

sam.jpg

Su-39_tank.jpg

It's safe to say Lockon should (in a world without restraints of resources) have a full weather simulation. Not just puffy clouds, overcast and high altitude clouds ;)

Maybe MS are willing to sell MSFS2004' weather engine. :D

High-altitude clouds in Lockon

(old screenshots)

sam.jpg

Su-39_tank.jpg

It's safe to say Lockon should (in a world without restraints of resources) have a full weather simulation. Not just puffy clouds, overcast and high altitude clouds ;)

Maybe MS are willing to sell MSFS2004' weather engine. :D

I remember that X-Plane has its own weather engine as well.

Some advanced weather would be a great addon to Lock On. Weather, I believe is the most important part of the enviroment we fly in. I wish it will get upgraded sooner then later.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer