Panels and knobs

pitbldr

But by using a USB expansion, as pitbldr stated, you connect up to 4 Master Cards to the USB expansion, instead of directly to a parallel port.

Master Card alone = connect via Parallel port.

USB expansion + (up to 4) Master Cards = USB port.

AFAIK, OpenCockpits & SIOC no longer officially support connecting directly via Parallel, either. It may still work, though.

The USB outputs card does not include provisions for switched inputs.

What he said. :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xkeys is what I plan to use for the UFC and CDU. Supports 128 keys. It would ne something look into. I plan to only use it for the UFC and CDU. I don't know how well it would work for switches. On/Off ect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Xkeys is what I plan to use for the UFC and CDU. Supports 128 keys. It would ne something look into. I plan to only use it for the UFC and CDU. I don't know how well it would work for switches. On/Off ect.

I have one of the xkeys boards that I'll be using initially but eventually want to move to something that will allow output as well. :)

Ok, here's some pricing info based on what I am calling "version 1" of my panels. Please note these may change as (if) changes are needed. Also, note that no switches/electronics are included and price does not include shipping.

Fuel panel - $34.56

Oxygen Regulator panel - $20.24

Lighting Control panel - $38.43

Auxiliary Avionics panel - $18.74

Emergency Flight control - $30.34 (this price does not include yellow hashed border - I am working on adding this, but it will definitely add a bit to this panel)

Pictures and more info to follow in the next couple of days. I'm very close to having the numbers nailed down for the UFC and CDU as well. Just need to cut, paint, and engrave the buttons for each to determine cost.

Also, I have a few "prototype" panels I think I'll offer up for $10 a pop + shipping. These are panels I've made during the development but had to be redone. They're too nice to trash, but I can't ask full price for them either. They have issues like uneven text engraving or being made from white acrylic instead of clear or other minor issues. I'll try to post some pics tonight of these.

Forgot to mention that I may also an "economy" version of the panels. These would be a single layer of white acrylic (approx .125" thick) and would have holes large enough to fit 'around' the mounting nuts for switches.

The standard version that I've listed prices for above are two layers of clear acrylic (approx .25" thick) that are first painted white, then black. These resemble mil spec panels more closely in appearance.

I'll post some pics later showing the differences.

Ok, here's some pricing info based on what I am calling "version 1" of my panels. Please note these may change as (if) changes are needed. Also, note that no switches/electronics are included and price does not include shipping.

Fuel panel - $34.56

Oxygen Regulator panel - $20.24

Lighting Control panel - $38.43

Auxiliary Avionics panel - $18.74

Emergency Flight control - $30.34 (this price does not include yellow hashed border - I am working on adding this, but it will definitely add a bit to this panel)

Pictures and more info to follow in the next couple of days. I'm very close to having the numbers nailed down for the UFC and CDU as well. Just need to cut, paint, and engrave the buttons for each to determine cost.

These are just the light panels or panel / backplate combo? I'm down for a Fuel Panel regardless, and UFC and CDU per our earlier convo.

K

These are just the light panels or panel / backplate combo? I'm down for a Fuel Panel regardless, and UFC and CDU per our earlier convo.

K

Just the light panels, not the backplates. Personally (for my pit), I am making one large backplate to hold each set of panels (outer left, inner left, inner right, and outer right). Been in touch with someone who may be able to provide aluminum backplates that will match my panels, but that will be something he provides separately.

Edited by pitbldr

Just the light panels, not the backplates. Personally (for my pit), I am making one large backplate to hold each set of panels (outer left, inner left, inner right, and outer right). Been in touch with someone who may be able to provide aluminum backplates that will match my panels, but that will be something he provides separately.

Good deal. I can swing the backplates myself, I'm drawing them up in SolidWorks and will get them cut locally.

My plan is to set up each panel with all the electronics, get it wired, and add a connector plate attached by stand-offs with some sort of connector plug(dsub, Amphenol, Cannon etc). I'll make and run a wire harness from the I/O stuff and have a breakout to each panel. This way if something goes kaput or breaks or burns up, I'll just have to undo the panel from the console, disco the connector and be able to work it at the bench. I'd rather not to have to go digging around trying to replace, remove or rewire one bad component (which will ALWAYS be the least accessible :mad:) from the bottom of the console. I have to fix enough stuff like that at work to want to do it at home too!

Anyways, looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on these panels.

K

Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to post some pics!

I am toying with the idea of having each section of my consoles on piano hinges. NOT realistic at all I know, but that way, I can flip up an entire section and work on it from above. This will also help me maximize the space in my office which is severely cramped already! :D

By the way, I'll provide the outline drawings for my panels for people like you who will be cutting their own backplates. This will help you locate the cutouts for the switches and such.

Here's a few pics showing some of the prototype panels up for grabs. Sorry for my poor photography skills. :music_whistling:

Image number 3520 - Fuel panel (single .25" piece white acrylic)

3521 - Caution panel (single .25" piece white acrylic)

3522 - back of caution panel

3523 - IFF panel (single .125" white acrylic)

3525 - Aux lighting panel (two layers .125" acrylic, clear I think. One of first panels I painted then engraved, but I engraved too deep)

3526 - TACAN (single .25" white acrylic)

3527 - electrical power panel (again 2 .125" layers painted, but engraved too deep

3530 - CMSP (single .25" white acrylic)

3531 - back of CMSP

Actual .25 thicknesses vary a bit, but most are closer to .225".

Now a few other pics.

3507 is the *almost* final version of my MFCD.

3505 & 3506 - closeups.

3509 - oxygen regulator

3510 - closeup showing the "seam" on the two layer panels. I thought about sanding the edges, but that would add to the cost.

3511 & 3513 - comparison of a single layer and dual layer panel

3515 - comparison of two dual layer panels, one the left clear acrylic painted white, one the right white acrylic not painted, just engraved.

All the panels from 3520-3530 for up for sale at $10 each plus shipping. Also, the lighting control panel on the right in 3511 (single layer) and the one on the right in 3515 are up for grabs too.

DSC_3505.thumb.JPG.1d3b3c540431bd574be319bc83e6aa74.JPG

DSC_3506.thumb.JPG.5b5b963f8474fed61c74ac772c37c03e.JPG

DSC_3507.thumb.JPG.cb7b1a80e46152b36669958515325d46.JPG

DSC_3510.thumb.JPG.230a7063668e07e5dc6f9270e25e7f71.JPG

DSC_3521.thumb.JPG.7e33eaa6b05a281a9d43ae3a5c84b5b8.JPG

DSC_3522.thumb.JPG.e6c3b20c84a3d4de12006161670a5014.JPG

DSC_3523.thumb.JPG.7131d7e2e2cee4e2ce68d4b5502f0ec3.JPG

DSC_3525.thumb.JPG.6872296b8ff6db05249a416ba5676d2c.JPG

DSC_3526.thumb.JPG.f013540d88baeccfd1463653abbd7833.JPG

Edited by pitbldr

I just spent literally hours trying to find a decent shot of the right console, excluding the 17.6 trillion DCS screenshots, and had just found that exact photo that you had linked. That's how it should be.

I think the problem is the CDU is actually much thicker than the regular light plates, but it looks level and flush in the sim so at certain angles in real life the labels would be blocked. Then again, they were there in earlier builds so I dunno.

The first attached photo shows the thickness of the real CDU and the height of the switches and rockers, and for those that don't know, gives a good view of the different "steps" the various instruments are positioned in. Of course the CDU/EGI labels are just out of sight...

The second image you can see the labels if you look carefully above the switches, but I was unable to find a larger resolution version of this shot.

The last is just for grins and a look at the insanity that awaits. :D

K

4996069258_b41d602b89_o.thumb.jpg.490e733b91c2ee7df7535227ec04a714.jpg

a10cockpit.thumb.jpg.1dbadc04cc05ad005aec7319dec27fae.jpg

090827-F-1175P-001.thumb.JPG.308ed27aef360419545f7d8ef984b3ec.JPG

Edited by KLaFaille
Attachments

Thanks for linking those pics! I knew the CDU had to be thicker than the other light plates, but had not seen anything that gave a good view of just how much. Most of my panels are about .225", but the CDU and UFC are .355" to allow for more room underneath the buttons (hopefully for electronics).

The standard version that I've listed prices for above are two layers of clear acrylic (approx .25" thick) that are first painted white, then black. These resemble mil spec panels more closely in appearance.

I'll post some pics later showing the differences.

This is amazing work. Are the 2 layers glued together or are they separate?

The under layer has the larger holes for the mounting hardware for the switches, right? I'm thinking there could be a need for clearance holes for other things besides switches, like bolts for circuit boards or strain reliefs. These would have to be drilled by each person according to their needs.

Either glued together or separate would work but separate might be easier.

TIA,

Colin

This is amazing work. Are the 2 layers glued together or are they separate?

The under layer has the larger holes for the mounting hardware for the switches, right? I'm thinking there could be a need for clearance holes for other things besides switches, like bolts for circuit boards or strain reliefs. These would have to be drilled by each person according to their needs.

Either glued together or separate would work but separate might be easier.

TIA,

Colin

Thanks! :)

Yes, they are two layers that are "welded" together. It's glue specific for acrylic. Separate would definitely be easier for me! :D I can make them either way.

Yes again. The bottom layer of the panel has holes that are about .2" larger than the top layer. I used the switches I had (most from actual military aircraft) as the basis for my measurements. I've attached the drawing for the Lighting Control panel to show the difference. On the left is the top plate and the bottom on the right.

You're thinking exactly what I was thinking. Since I am offering these out to others, there's no way I can plan for every mounting possibility, but being acrylic, they can easily be drilled or even cut if needed.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.ad803adc35db8386f97be88b75d96527.jpg

Pit, I'm definitely going to purchase panels from you. I'm considering setting up a distribution for group buys if anyone lives in Europe and is looking to buy these from you.

Basically, anyone that orders the panels here in the EU will pay a rated shipping cost, which will be cheaper depending on how many people. The more that live in europe that buy the panels, the cheaper shipping is per person, and will reduce the overall costs to all of us.

So folks that live here in Europe, if you want these panels, buy them from Pitbldr, he'll ship them to me, and I'll get them to you as soon as I get them.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Pit, I'm definitely going to purchase panels from you. I'm considering setting up a distribution for group buys if anyone lives in Europe and is looking to buy these from you.

Basically, anyone that orders the panels here in the EU will pay a rated shipping cost, which will be cheaper depending on how many people. The more that live in europe that buy the panels, the cheaper shipping is per person, and will reduce the overall costs to all of us.

So folks that live here in Europe, if you want these panels, buy them from Pitbldr, he'll ship them to me, and I'll get them to you as soon as I get them.

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks! :thumbup:

What areas/regions specifically can you "service"?

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks! :thumbup:

What areas/regions specifically can you "service"?

As far as I know, anywhere in Europe. There are some areas that would be a little more in the shipping cost. Anyone in Germany would be the cheapest, and from there the cost would go up slightly, but from my calculations, you're only talking a couple dollars more for out to the outsides of the EU. Kind of nice living here sort of in the middle.

EDIT: I'll work up a shipping list from here to each country with a basic weight of 5 panels (can you weigh 5 for me, and figure a little extra for the package), and let you know what it would come out to. This way it'll make it easier for calculating the final shipping costs per person.

EDIT - 2: I can ship to anywhere in the European Union (within reason, some areas do not apply) as per the EU listing. I'm also able to ship to other countries on this side of the world, but it would cost a little extra from the buyer. All-in-all, it'll be cheaper for those here in the EU to have it shipped to me first... as savings of up to $30 per person.

Edited by hog_driver111th

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

As far as I know, anywhere in Europe. There are some areas that would be a little more in the shipping cost. Anyone in Germany would be the cheapest, and from there the cost would go up slightly, but from my calculations, you're only talking a couple dollars more for out to the outsides of the EU. Kind of nice living here sort of in the middle.

EDIT: I'll work up a shipping list from here to each country with a basic weight of 5 panels (can you weigh 5 for me, and figure a little extra for the package), and let you know what it would come out to. This way it'll make it easier for calculating the final shipping costs per person.

EDIT - 2: I can ship to anywhere in the European Union (within reason, some areas do not apply) as per the EU listing. I'm also able to ship to other countries on this side of the world, but it would cost a little extra from the buyer. All-in-all, it'll be cheaper for those here in the EU to have it shipped to me first... as savings of up to $30 per person.

Hog/pitbldr...I'm in CH. I would be interested in the Electical Power panel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998