DCS: A-10

Ghillied raptor

I've had some experience with a previous simulation called DCS: Black Shark. There was much memorising for me to do. While I didn't really mind, I felt that the game felt very flat without a joystick. I'm planning on purchasing a joystick soon, so that won't be a problem. However, how much time is required to learn the basics of flying and shooting of DCS: A-10 as compared to the KA-50?

I've had some experience with a previous simulation called DCS: Black Shark. There was much memorising for me to do. While I didn't really mind, I felt that the game felt very flat without a joystick. I'm planning on purchasing a joystick soon, so that won't be a problem. However, how much time is required to learn the basics of flying and shooting of DCS: A-10 as compared to the KA-50?

Depends on your prior knowledge. However, due to the nature of the new training lessons, IMHO you can do it a lot faster than with BS.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Depends on your prior knowledge. However, due to the nature of the new training lessons, IMHO you can do it a lot faster than with BS.

+1

And also buttons and switches in the plane is written in English, wich can be easier than cyrilic :smartass:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

Wow! my hat goes off to anyone who can fly the Blackshark without a joystick :joystick:

You will find the A10 MUCH easier to fly with or without a stick. However, the weapons systems are more complex due to the increased number of ways to make the ground go bang!

If you haven't made up your mind already, and your budget allows, I would recommend spending extra for a good HOTAS joystick. My Saitek x52 is excellent and cheap for what it does (I push the keyboard aside as all functions have been mapped). If your budget doesn't go that far then anything will do, but the more buttons the better:). The TM:Warthog is for those with very deep pockets (I am sooo envious).

Cheers.

For me A:10 was much easier to get into the air with, but the weapons systems are much more complex. The CDU is something I am yet to learn and looks to dwarf most of the systems of the KA50 (though I'm yet to work out what the CDU actually does...at the moment it's just "navigation stuff").

Anyway, that said, the game comes with an excellent quick start guide which takes you through the basics...That in addition to the newbie tutorials will put you in an excellent position to start missions very quickly.

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

If by "flat" you meant dull then I'd have to disagree because I have been flying Black Shark and A10-C using only the keyboard for months. Black Shark is actually quite hair raising and satisfying getting the biatch back on the tarmac with the arrow, plus and minus keys. Guaranteed, every single landing is the opposite of boring and uneventful and never routine. :D

Without a set of HOTAS you're pretty much limited to fly, hover and fight in that order. Repeat as necessary. Now, taming it without a set of HOTAS is...well I'm still trying.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Uhm leafer, may I ask, why no HOTAS for you (a senior forum member)? It doesn't have to be that expensive...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

DCS without Joystick is like taking Keira Knightley to dinner at McDonalds.

• Like 2
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

... I have been flying Black Shark and A10-C using only the keyboard for months. ...

Good Heavens! Someone get this man a HOTAS! :helpsmilie:

Or at least some joystick with analog controls. Before the X65F i was playing with a XBOX 360 Controller, although it lack in number of hats it still much better then the keyboard only.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

I know someone who just purchased a warthog, who is now selling his U2nxt modded cougar setup. $1000 worth of gear apparently going cheap :).

He's in Europe.

I don't know what U2nxt is though.. I'm a CH guy myself! But let me know if you want his details you could get a bargain.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Uhm Taipan, are you talking about me :) ? Cause I'm not selling my kitty. I've put her on the desk beside the Warthog and hooked her up to a second setup. Now I have a dual station at home! Great for recruiting and training friends...:music_whistling::smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

The way I look at my situation is that when I do get a set of HOTAS and rudder pedals, and eventually I will, it'll be like discovering flying all over again. :D I cannot wait.

Actually, a few months ago I bought a set of Suncom F15 HOTAS, 2 x BU0836 and a bunch of hat switches from Guillemot and was going to mod the stick and throttle to accept the switches and the USB boards, but I've not received the BU0836s. My fiance said after our wedding, which is in March, I am allow to buy whatever the heck I want. Wee! :D

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

DCS without Joystick is like taking Keira Knightley to dinner at McDonalds.

What, cheaper and you still get some play? :smilewink:

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

TAIPAN:

U2nxt is a Gimball-Mod for the F-16C Rplicated

Thrustmaster Gougar HOTAS. It replades the

flimsy Stock Gimbals with those of HEAT Sensors;

Making the system more realistic in stick feel,

controll, feedback etc. The Mod costs around

$700.00. If one can afford it, its well worth

the investment. Also extends the life of the

Cougar. Hope this clears it up for you.:)

Uhm Taipan, are you talking about me :) ? Cause I'm not selling my kitty. I've put her on the desk beside the Warthog and hooked her up to a second setup. Now I have a dual station at home! Great for recruiting and training friends...:music_whistling::smilewink:

No it's a guy called Winger but he's in Germany too :)

Dual station sounds good!

Would love to get warthog but I'm loathe to give up all my CH rotaries.

Hi !

The A-10 (or any plane) is much easier to fly than the blackshark, however ... good luck with the fighting and weapon system which is more complete (and harder) than the blackshark :music_whistling:

Buy a joystick, any joystick ! First, you will rediscover the blackshark (i started without joystick). If you can afford it, of course, i suggest the thursmater hotas warthog. But remember than the warthog joystick is only 2 axis and ideally you need to buy a rudder pedal too. (suggestion welcome, i need one :D ) Second, it's really enjoyable to flight an a-10 with the hatos warthog ... because it's a very well crafted a-10 replica :thumbup:

If you don't want to buy the hotas warthog, i suggest a microsoft sidewinder joystick. I played Flight simulator and x-plane for years with it, microsoft (surprisingly) sell very good hardware.

TAIPAN:

U2nxt is a Gimball-Mod for the F-16C Rplicated

Thrustmaster Gougar HOTAS. It replades the

flimsy Stock Gimbals with those of HEAT Sensors;

Making the system more realistic in stick feel,

controll, feedback etc. The Mod costs around

$700.00. If one can afford it, its well worth

the investment. Also extends the life of the

Cougar. Hope this clears it up for you.:)

See http://thommos.com/blogged/2007/12/cougar-u2nxt.html for a review. It cost me $344.63 USD to be precise :). Nowhere near $700. My opinion about it: simply the best. Even slightly better than my Warthog. The Warthog has some stiction and a tiny bit of play around the centre. These are fully absent with the U2NXT. Some complain about the swinging motion in the x-axis when you let it loose, but who does that in flight? Really top quality.

No it's a guy called Winger but he's in Germany too :)

Dual station sounds good!

Would love to get warthog but I'm loathe to give up all my CH rotaries.

Yeah, I like the rotaries on the Cougar as well, but the throttle "friction wheel" which is really a rotary functions quite satisfactory. Trimming using buttons works well enough (which is what I used the rotaries for).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

My opinion about it: simply the best.

No doubt

but the throttle "friction wheel" which is really a rotary functions quite satisfactory. Trimming using buttons works well enough (which is what I used the rotaries for).

What are you using the wheel for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

See http://thommos.com/blogged/2007/12/cougar-u2nxt.html for a review. It cost me $344.63 USD to be precise :). Nowhere near $700. My opinion about it: simply the best. Even slightly better than my Warthog. The Warthog has some stiction and a tiny bit of play around the centre. These are fully absent with the U2NXT. Some complain about the swinging motion in the x-axis when you let it loose, but who does that in flight? Really top quality.

Yeah, I like the rotaries on the Cougar as well, but the throttle "friction wheel" which is really a rotary functions quite satisfactory. Trimming using buttons works well enough (which is what I used the rotaries for).

So it sounds like the Cougar modded is probably better for some things like combat. Funny enough this guy is primarily a prop sim combat player and bought the warthog. His reason to change to Warthog though is the replacement of springs its a pain and maintenance is a pain for the cougar. However, the Warthog throttle is better than the cougar. Even without rotaries it still has many more switches along with a dual throttle.

TRIM is fine for me using my CH Fighterstick hat switch as I have trackir. I've never wanted rotaries for TRIM, and the main prop sim I fly doesn't have TRIM at all. Plus in combat, it's best to have a non-trimmed plane to pull all the maneuvers using memory of how much stick to apply.

I suppose the second throttle could be used as a rotary, but I wonder how quickly it can be slid back and forth if it would be useful for a zoom control.

For zooming I use the rotary on the CH modded throttle under my left pinky. I play alot of prop sims where I need to quickly zoom in and out to identify or search for planes, or even to take a quick snapshot. Zooming using buttons doesn't allow this as easily so I like having something on the actual throttle itself.

Is there any other analog controls or pressure sensitive switches on the throttle that don't require your hand to remove from the throttle?

Maybe one of the 3 position switches could be programmed into an axis with 3 positions, full zoom, mid zoom, and full 100 degree FOV. Can TARGET create new axis for programming buttons onto?