Readyboost

Has anyone one used this to boost there performance?

"Using memory in your storage device to speed up your computer

ReadyBoost can speed up your computer by using storage space on most USB flash drives and flash memory cards. When you plug a ReadyBoost-compatible storage device into your computer, the AutoPlay dialog box offers you the option to speed up your computer using ReadyBoost. If you select this option, you can choose how much memory on the device to use for this purpose.

When you set up a device to work with ReadyBoost, Windows shows you how much space it recommends you allow it to use for optimal performance. For ReadyBoost to effectively speed up your computer, the flash drive or memory card should have at least 1 gigabyte (GB) of available space. If your device doesn't have enough available space for ReadyBoost, you'll see a message telling you to free some space on the device if you want to use it to speed up your system.

You can enable or disable ReadyBoost for a specific flash drive or other removable storage device."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WIKIPEDIA:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

ReadyBoost is a disk cache component of Microsoft Windows, first introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista in 2006 and bundled with Windows 7 in 2009. It works by using flash memory, a USB flash drive, SD card, CompactFlash or any kind of portable flash mass storage system as a cache.

ReadyBoost is also used to facilitate SuperFetch, which allows it to perform analysis of boot-time disk usage patterns and creates a cache which is used in subsequent system boots.[1]

Performance

A system with 512 MB of RAM (the bare minimum for Windows Vista) can see significant gains from ReadyBoost.[8] In one test case, ReadyBoost speeds up an operation from 11.7 seconds to 2 seconds (increasing physical memory from 512 MB to 1 GB without ReadyBoost reduced it to 0.8 seconds, though).[9]

The core idea of ReadyBoost is that a flash drive has a much faster seek time (less than 1 ms), allowing it to satisfy requests faster than reading files from a hard disk. It also leverages the inherent advantage of two parallel sources from which to read data. Unfortunately, USB 2.0 flash drives are slower for sequential reads and writes, compared to modern desktop hard drives. Desktop hard drives can sustain anywhere from 2 to 10 times the transfer speed of USB 2.0 flash drives but are equal to or slower than USB 3.0 and Firewire (IEEE 1394) for sequential data. So, all USB 2.0 and newer flash drives hold an advantage in random access times: typically around 1 ms, compared to 8 ms and upwards for desktop hard drives. In addition, USB 3.0 and Firewire may also hold a slight advantage on sequential data.

On laptop computers the performance shifts more in favor of flash memory, laptop memory being priced higher than that for desktop systems, and with many laptops using relatively slow 4200 RPM and 5400 RPM hard drives. Additionally, on a laptop, ReadyBoost caching can reduce hard drive access, allowing the hard drive to spin down for increased battery life.[10] Also, because of the nature of the power management typically enabled during mobile use of a laptop it is a more power efficient way of increasing equipment productivity.

In versions of Vista prior to SP1, ReadyBoost failed to recognize its cache data upon resume from sleep, and restarted the caching process, making ReadyBoost ineffective on machines undergoing frequent sleep/wake cycles. This problem was fixed in Vista SP1.[11]

I use Readyboost (4gig SDcard) on a Vista laptop with 2Gig ram an notice that programs open quicker after I used it some time (readyboost needs some time to recognize what data is frequently used).

On my Desktop Win7 8GigRam I didn't notice any performance boost but I leave it on because it dosen't harm my computer and I have enough of fast USB sticks.

Try it yourself- it is set-up in 1min!

But keep in mind that it needs to learn your frequently used programs first and it will take some reboots before you have a positive effect.

Edit (I goggled a little):

I did want to mention one thing though, if you have a fast enough system hard drive that can't be faster with ReadyBoost Windows 7 will disable ReadyBoost. This is a new feature.

ReadyBoost does not improve performance, it only improves responsiveness. It won’t make your system run any faster, but it will make things faster to load and initialize to a working-state.

To clarify responsiveness and speed:

High responsiveness:
the system “feels fast” and you don’t have to wait for something to load when you’re about to go to a command.

Example of high responsiveness: when you logon, you immediately want to go to the start menu and launch something. The time from logon to launch is a busy wait for you. –
this is affected by readyboost

High speed:
the system performs computational (or I/O) tasks fast.

Example: you are ripping a massive library of CDs. It takes about 10 minutes. If it took less time, say by offloading floating point calculations to the GPU, then that would be high speed. It’s still longer than half a minute so the system is fast, but not responsive. When you’re encoding the CDs, you can do other useful activities, so it’s a non-busy wait. –
this is
not affected by readyboost

Edited by PeterP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

sd card?

Hi folks,after reading Mustang's post it got me thinking,I have an 8GB SD card lying around and was wondering as A-10 is a 7GB download would it be possible to copy my file to it and load from there as maybe a new drive?Don't matter if not,tis a great sim anyway,even then I will try this readyboost thingy and maybe it will help with the few jitters here and there,if ya know what I mean.

Phenom II x 4 955be,4GB ram,radeon 5850,win 7 64 bit and of course DCS A-10C.

Thanks in advance Mick.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

What class of flash are you guys using? I think I have a 8gb Class 6 somewhere.

3instein flash is much slower than your hard disk except maybe for seek times. For example my Class 6 card can do 6mb/s, a hard disk is much much faster, so loading DCS to the flash would be much slower.

Nate

SD card?

Thankyou for the fast reply bud,I suppose that answers that,LOL.I hadn't a clue if that would work or not just thinking out loud,It'l just have to stay in my fone then.:doh:

Cheers again Nate,appreciated.

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

confused

Hey Matt,so you think readyboost + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233175 would be worth a shot,as in helping with ma small amount o jitters?

Saying that the few stutters I do get aren't a problem really,obviously if they weren't there well.....great,but I am just keeping an eye out for a wee solution here and there.:smilewink:

Cheers Mick.

SD card?

Cheers Matt. :thumbup: