JTAC Practice Mission

Greb

Did a lot of research this weekend on creating JTAC missions. There seem to be very few missions available to practice with. I took all I learned this weekend and created a JTAC practice mission. I am still getting the ME down but it is starting to come together.

Was wondering if you fellas would give this one a go and let me know how it runs for ya. Want to know if I am getting it down and all.

The Mission is at dusk in the summer. Take off point is Nal'chik. I have added incoming and outgoing traffic as well as some moving ground units. You will need to watch for Air traffic when taking off. Trying to give the whole mission of Living feeling....if you know what I mean. Trying to make it feel like you aren't the only living creature in the Crim.

There is no rush to targets and there is no hard AAA or SAM threats. Just a relaxing mission in order to get your JTAC steps down.

All comments welcome!

*EDIT: Added a second mission with just one JTAC farther down in thread.

SEE - "Greb's Missions Revisions" thread to download Missions.

Edited by Greb
  • Like 2

ragenoob, I take it as meaning as soon as you come off hot or drop ordinance you leave area in direction stated by JTAC. Meaning Egress east....fly that direction off target.

Still getting the editor down. After flying it several times I seem to loose the JTAC after the first target at both target areas. I guess you attack until all targets for eachy area are destroyed. Will try and clean it up some more and see if I can get the JTAC to be more active on other targets.

Couple things I noticed about Nal'chik. There is a sink hole about half way to runway on taxiway.....don't stop rolling. If you are having problem with traffic...head for runway after the big transport parks. Two more A10's land and then you are clear to take off. Not sure if there are bugs but if the tower doesn't clear you, he never will. I will try and get another couple practice missions up today.

Thanks for the input fellas.

I had no problem with the traffic. I started taxiing when the transport passed me and the A-10's that landed afterwards took the exit before the one which I was taxiing on. I thought that was pretty cool and well done. The traffic added greatly to the mission and I hope to see more mission makers do this.

I thought that arriving and departing aircraft are usually heading in the same direction because of wind. This also would stop any possibility of taxiing aircraft getting in each others way. I guess there was no wind?

I'm still learning the whole JTAC procedure and am not to sure what to do with the sparkle. I thought that when JTAC says sparkle he lasers the target for GBU's. I didn't see a laser and I'm pretty sure he requested me to use mavericks.:huh: I still have much to learn.

Tried to search the manual for a reference to "sparkle," but couldn't find anything. I looked on YouTube for some night time JTAC examples but I couldn't find any with a narrative or any annotations that explain why or what their doing and that makes it pretty hard to understand and learn from.

Still getting the editor down. After flying it several times I seem to loose the JTAC after the first target at both target areas. I guess you attack until all targets for eachy area are destroyed. Will try and clean it up some more and see if I can get the JTAC to be more active on other targets.

From another thread....http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60839&highlight=Sparkle

keep in mind that there appears to be a bug where the JTAC won't go "off sparkle" so you only really get one run at night.

Will be attempting this mission again and hope to see you make more.

Thanks.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.6 GHz // Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO // GFX - ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB // RAM - Patriot-Viper II 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1600 // Audio - Creative X-FI Platinum // OS - Windows 7 Home x64 Bit

CH Fighterstick // CH Pro Pedals // CH Pro Throttle // TrackIR 4 // Eyefinity 20"x3 Portrait :joystick:

I had no problem with the traffic. I started taxiing when the transport passed me and the A-10's that landed afterwards took the exit before the one which I was taxiing on. I thought that was pretty cool and well done. The traffic added greatly to the mission and I hope to see more mission makers do this.

I thought that arriving and departing aircraft are usually heading in the same direction because of wind. This also would stop any possibility of taxiing aircraft getting in each others way. I guess there was no wind?

I'm still learning the whole JTAC procedure and am not to sure what to do with the sparkle. I thought that when JTAC says sparkle he lasers the target for GBU's. I didn't see a laser and I'm pretty sure he requested me to use mavericks.:huh: I still have much to learn.

Tried to search the manual for a reference to "sparkle," but couldn't find anything. I looked on YouTube for some night time JTAC examples but I couldn't find any with a narrative or any annotations that explain why or what their doing and that makes it pretty hard to understand and learn from.

From another thread....http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60839&highlight=Sparkle

Will be attempting this mission again and hope to see you make more.

Thanks.:thumbup:

Thanks ALLO! Hope you are staying dry down there in Australia! Really feel for you folks right now. Very disastrous weather you folks are having.

I refined this mission. Sparkle is a IF pointer and you can see it when wearing your night vision. From what I can tell it highlights for the IF MAV's.

I removed the second JTAC for this mission and refined the 1st target area. Now JTAC will assign each vehicle upon the destruction of the one before. 3 targets one for mavs one for GBU 12 and One for Cannon. I also cleaned up and added more traffic.

Nal'chik looks to me to be a one way air strip. I place units but the sim runs the traffic. It looks to me like nothing lands at the takeoff end of the strip. Must be do to large city buildings.

Anyways give this one a go and see how it runs for ya all!

Thanks again.

EDIT updated mission JTACmultiple02 1305 PST. Sorry I had to make a few changes. Down load again if having payload layout issue. ...Sorry about that!

Edited by Greb

mmmm... why my gbu 12 are so inaccurate? ever few feet right/left after/before tgt.

Not sure bud. I noticed this to on the second units. I hit the first and couldn't get on the other. I think it still may be a WIP on ED's end.

hey Greb, on your first version , the jtac would not answer after i had begun attacking targets, but was still lasing/ sparkling the targets. After destroying the current target he would announce SHIFT and illuminate the next target. this continued untill all destroyed then i was given permission to leave. It was the same at both target sites and did work well. I didnt have any taxi problems, or notice any, but i think everything had landed by the time i was taxiing to the runway.

As for the GBU-12's accuracy, i recall seeing other threads complaining about this and the SPI Hud recticle being up to 250m off what is showng on the MFCD .

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=64039

Possibly be related problems

Thanks for your efforts, going to try the updated version now :joystick:

Thanks for the input Livebait! I think I like the atmosphere more then I do the bombing! LOL!!!

Here is another little JTAC practice mission with a lot of LIVE atmosphere. JTAC will call 9 line for every target if you kill one per pass. Good for honing your skills. The targets are on city street and between buildings so you really have to watch how you turn on target. Starts from Ramp with a lot of distractions. The yard birds standing next to the Blackhawk is how I remember the ARMY, standing around talking shit! LOL!! When the F15 parks you are clear to taxi and take off. Think I got it timed about right.

Have Fun, and let me know how it runs for ya!

Edited by Greb

I played the 02 mission. Nice mission. Really liked the atmosphere and really well done the the single FAC calling out those targets in sequential order. My only problem was that it's really hard to pick up the sparkle with the NV goggles with the gain so high and no way to adjust them. ( Once I hooked the data then set it as SPI and slew the MAV to the SPI and set the MAV to TRACK it locked immedetly but still could not see the mark...fired anyway and hit it but it was blind) I'd set the time of the mission or TOT at those waypoints to coincide with it being darker outside to cut back on the goggle intensity. Also, I think there is a bug with the GBU-12's. The bombs hit about 5-10 degrees off to the left and had it LSS tracking the target perfectly. Other than that it was a nice mission.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Thanks Doc! I get same result with GBU's. I am cooking up another one. Will try Jdams next. Need to add some dogfight action near target. Migs coming in with Eagles on the gaurd. Something that puts a show on and keeps you looking and distracts from matter at hand.

My only problem was that it's really hard to pick up the sparkle with the NV goggles with the gain so high and no way to adjust them

H + Right Shift + Right Ctrl = goggle gain up

H + Right Shift + Right Alt = goggle gain down

this works, although seems very touchy for me

H + Right Shift + Right Ctrl = goggle gain up

H + Right Shift + Right Alt = goggle gain down

this works, although seems very touchy for me

I've tried doing this but it doesn't work for me. I don't see any differences when trying to raise or lower the gain with these key presses.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Thanks ALLO! Hope you are staying dry down there in Australia! Really feel for you folks right now. Very disastrous weather you folks are having.

It is pretty bad in some parts but yeah, Australia is a big country and where I am is hot and dry.

Nal'chik looks to me to be a one way air strip. I place units but the sim runs the traffic. It looks to me like nothing lands at the takeoff end of the strip. Must be do to large city buildings.

Your right. Only one end of the runway has a taxi way. The other end has nothing.:huh:

I have trouble seeing the laser too. Will try again later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.6 GHz // Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO // GFX - ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB // RAM - Patriot-Viper II 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1600 // Audio - Creative X-FI Platinum // OS - Windows 7 Home x64 Bit

CH Fighterstick // CH Pro Pedals // CH Pro Throttle // TrackIR 4 // Eyefinity 20"x3 Portrait :joystick:

hey Doc its definately working for me. I have it mapped to the mic switch, with the paddle as a modifier. Perhaps try holding it down for a moment, as i said it seems very touchy to me, but it does work

I'll try mapping it in the same way. Thanks so much for the tip.

thanks mate for this mission...i enjoy it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Bizarre problem. --Maybe it's a alzheimers...

I set the bottom radio to 30.000 and can't get JTAC's on the phone.

Anybody got a suggestion? --tried switching to am, fm...

it's never happened before to me.

cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

Are you pulling up the VHF2 radio.Just setting it will not do it. There are two VHF radios and one UHF. VHF 1 top most, UHF is in the middle, and VHF2 is the bottom radio. VHF1 has a higher band of frequencies, and VHF2 a lower band of frequencies. You have to dial a frequency of 30 into VHF2 then call up that radio. For example: I set my vhf1 to the airpports ATC which for this ission Nalchick is 136 MHX i believe, and i set the vhf2 to 30 MHz. I use the warthog as my hotas so i just go back on the mic hat and i pull up vhf2 and i get a menu and select f4 for jtac, If i push forward i pull up vhf1 which gives me the same menu and if i go f4 for jtac i dont get the firefly option. hope this helps

Here is a new one for ya fellas!

This one is a bit intense. You are retaking the city of Tbilisi. Russian Forces retreating. You can fit yourself in pattern to take off right after the C17A Lands. You need to get your Hog up and running pretty quick. I like to get to end of taxi way and watch the C17A land right in front of me. I swear I can feel the engines.

There is a lot of hostile forces retreating from city area and Georgian forces are helping you take out retreating force. 30 mins into mission a JTAC pops up and request air support. WATCH your mission Clock. The trigger area is small. This mission is a combination of tossing rocks with a precise JTAC hit near the end. Couple of other little surprises too. Make sure you read the Mission brief! ....conserve your Rockets!

Mission is a bit frame rate intense....just giving you a heads up, BUT lots of adrenalin!

Good Luck!

Retake Tbilisi.miz

Edited by Greb