Random Crashing

Cromewell

At random times I get a crash with the error message 'The instruction at "0x0bf16b78" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".' At other times the null memory reference is "0xffffffff" I'm assume both these errors have the same cause (the instruction location has been the same everytime I think, I didn't write it down the first couple times). Does anyone know whats going on?

It's a possible memory failure. Take out one memory stick, lunch the lockon and try, do the same thing with the second stick. If still crashes with only one stick then it's a lockon problem otherwise you are good for changing your memory stick.

That’s a good suggestion. Here’s another interesting thing to try . . . Do you know about Prime 95? It a system stress tester. (Google it, then get it. It’s free) For a P4, hyper-threaded processor you need to run two instances of the program. Install it once, then copy the whole directory to a second convenient location. Now you have 2 Prime 95 programs. Run both from individual shortcuts on the desktop. On one of the shortcut’s command line add “-A1” (no quotes). Now run em both and go way for 12 hours. If Prime 95 will run for 12 hours without errors, you can eliminate processor and memory from your troubleshooting suspect list. (For you AMD guys, just one instance Prime 95 is the trick)

You have a couple of intense first person shooters (FarCry, Doom3, UT2004, or thereabouts) and those (and everything else on you system) is running OK, right? Well, then a memory/CPU problem is a long shot but well worth a try.

Actually, it sounds to me like a good place to start might be to look at the possibility of a corrupted existing installation. The next suggestion might be to fully de-install then reinstall carefully following these guidelines. This is the v1.1, FC drill . . .

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=8112

Is this your first time with LOMAC? Did this just start after LOMAC had been running OK for a while? Does it have a history? Are you running v1.1, FC? I was wondering if FC would solve any of the bug-e-ness that the original LOMAC had. If so, are you seeing the same basic ‘character’ in v1.1 that you saw in v1.02?

2 Cromewell:

Follow the above advices, also please tell us, when crash happen? On start of LockOn? On start of the mission? During options changing? During mission fly? If last - what is happen in mission when LO crashes?

With Best Regards!

Daniel Tuseyev

Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Rise Of Flight projects manager

It is a 1.1 installation, I just installed it June 2nd, I never had this problem with 1.02.

I'll try out the suggestions when I get home.

The crash with the reference to 0x00000000 happened when selecting open mission from the main menu after exiting campaign mode. The 0xffffffff reference comes after pressing fly in a multiplayer mission. It will almost finish loading (based on how long I'm waiting on the loading screen, I would expect it was about to say 'waiting for server' but it crashes).

If 1.02 was OK, your box is (or was) completely capable of running 1.1, FC. No sense running all that Prime 95 stuff. That leaves software or some change that occured.

Did you load anything beween 1.02 and the 1.1 update. Anything. hardware, software? Anything. Think hard.

Just to doublecheck if it's really only 1.1 related, you might want to completely de-install LOMAC. Then, as you are re-installing, stop over at your initial 1.00 for a bit. Fly around with just 1.00 installed. If it crashes, go to 1.02 (that's where you were before, right?). Make sure everything's rock solid at either 1.00 or 1.02. Then do the FC update drill from where ever you are. (Remember, start from scratch if you had to go to 1.02!)

If the box was untouched and this thing runs at 1.00/1.02 then crashes at 1.1, this is something new . . .at least to me. Han . . . help!

Did you load anything beween 1.02 and the 1.1 update. Anything. hardware, software? Anything. Think hard.
No, nothing new. I had 1.02 running the day before I installed 1.1 without problem. I might try a reinstall without patching to 1.02 but I don't see that making a difference as the FC build will have those changes in it.

It is a 1.1 installation, I just installed it June 2nd, I never had this problem with 1.02.

I'll try out the suggestions when I get home.

The crash with the reference to 0x00000000 happened when selecting open mission from the main menu after exiting campaign mode. The 0xffffffff reference comes after pressing fly in a multiplayer mission. It will almost finish loading (based on how long I'm waiting on the loading screen, I would expect it was about to say 'waiting for server' but it crashes).

Ok, now I've understand you.

This is a known issue.

Must be fixed in 1.11.

With Best Regards!

Daniel Tuseyev

Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Rise Of Flight projects manager

Crashes

Hi All

I am also having a problem with LOFC crashing. When loading up a mission or when quiting a mission the game will hang and then my PC shuts down. This has now started when LOFC is starting up, after double clicking from the desktop starforce protection runs, LOFC begins to load up then the PC shuts down.

So far I have tried removing one stick of RAM at a time, I have reinstalled LOFC after running a registry cleaner, I have cleaned out any fans on my tower, I have tried the cat 5.5, then the cat 5.6 drivers..I even went back to the original drivers from the installation CD for the card. I have lowered the res on my PC, when I could start LOFC I tried it with all graphic settings on low, still shut down.

This is now stopping me running LOFC at all. Most disconcerting to say the least. Any advice/help appreciated.

System:

ATI 9700pro

AMD XP3000+

WinXP (SP2)

1Gb RAM

Creative SG Audigy 2

Saitek X45

TrackIR2

fighterwingbear.jpg

Bear,

If LOMAC is causing your computer to actually reboot,

1) Check here. Try the MBM test sequence. Think, "voltage problem".

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/17610606/m/3621025323/r/1791025033#1791025033

2) Then run the Prime 95 drill suggested in a post earlier in this thread.

3) Then, well . . . .you’re in to it now! See . . .

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/17610606/m/9221028713

Don’t give up. It’s fixable. If you have a spare HD and just want to fix it without having to become a mad scientist, fresh install non-SP-2 XP and just LOMAC. If your system is stable, LOMAC will run. Rebuild your HD one program at a time. Something will break LOMAC. De-install it immediately!

Good Luck and let us know