Detecting IR incoming missiles in lockon v1.02

Hello everybody here, good afternoon.

I've got installed lockon v1.02 from long ago, and I always have the same question when flying russian jets: How to detect incoming IR missiles with the SPO 15 Beryoza RWS? if not possible to detect them with this device in the cockpit, how to do it, and avoid being smashed by this kind of "birds"?

looking forward for your answers, kind regards.:book:

You cannot.

Depending on the circumstances, flying a T-Toad (If you upgrade to 1.12/2) you'll rely on the Sukhogruz. A fighter - just assume there's a R-73/ET on the way.

If you do not spot the launch in the first instance, you are pretty much porked.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As previousely mentionned, you can not have a launch warning in this case. Best mindset is to stay paranoid and best defense against such missiles is to avoid using afterburner. stay at 100% rpm and if u need more speed dive slightly, also cranck to either side in BVR if you fly 1.12 as ETs can be maddoged from far away.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Mark 1 eyeball is best alert. Spot the launch or receive warning from wingman. May give you enough time to avoid. As has been mentioned use flares to prevent a lock and subsequent launch. Stay out of MANPAD range if possible.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

• 2 weeks later...

Hum, very interesing all your answers. I'm designing some missions in V1.02 to test them. So, I must say thanks a lot to all of you. I will explain to you the results of testings.

Ah! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! be very happy you all. :)))

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I know its not exactly relating to the original purpose of this thread though it kinda belongs here...

Iґm wondering if an IR guided missile is more likely to be shaken off with the help of flares and simultanously lower my engine thrust to decrease the temperature of the exhausting air/engines?

I have already used the search function and google but it is very hard to find this paticular question around the web :\

Yes, generally speaking your flares are pretty much wasted if the seeker still has a huge afterburner cone to look at. Reducing below AB doesn't make much difference though AFAIK, at least not in the simulator. Depends a lot on aspect though.

The best method is still to deny the shot in the first place, though - if you believe there might be an IR seeker pointing towards you, drop flares pre-emptively - something like one every three seconds should do. You won't have to evade something that never managed to get a lock in the first place. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well in general you are completly right :)

But I stumbled upon this as I was familiarizing with the SU25 and I randomly glanced at the EGT indicator. It went down from about 800-900°C in cruise flight down to about 200°C when I set the thrustlever to idle (it took just a few secs). Thats a huge difference!

If this should really be a factor which is simulated by LockOn, this could help a lot in combination with flares and proper avoidance manouvers to outsmart an IR tracking missile.

Would be very interesting to know how much heat in °C those flares usually produce and if as mentioned above, LockOn simulates this at all... :book:

Hello, goodmorning everyone here.

First of all, Happy Neww 2011 to all of you. Have you already done the New Year Resolutions List? Here, we're waiting for the 3 Magic Kings to come, with gifts and surprises, so may you be lucky!

Ok, about IR incoming missiles, as I mentioned at the beginning of this interesting thread, in V1.02 installed, I kept in mind all of your ideas on how to avoid being smashed by these birds. In Mission Editor I designed several missions involving this kind of incoming missiles, and always flying russian jets (SU27/33 and MIG29) and here are the tested results so far:

- As some of you mentioned above, decreasing rpm, taking out afterburner is a very good idea in this version of LockOn. When done, you can see, from inside the cockpit, the temperature in ºC coming down, in the relevant indicator (it takes some instants).

- This temperature decreasing, combined with a hard turning, with no flares, often works properly against incoming IR missiles. Above all, if missile is coming in from behind you. If missile is coming in from a side or from ahead, then flares are mandatory needed, not only reducing rpm and turning hard. As some of you mentioned, a flare every 2 seconds usually works properly.

- The best thing as you all mentioned is to spot the initial launch, in order to know from where the missile is comming, but this is very difficult to do, because in russian jets no warning (light or sound) is telling you about in that instant. And worse, when several possible launchers (airborne or grounded) are all around you, you cannot kwow who is the one that shoot at you the IR missile. The only thing that seems to work when I tested, is check the SPO 15 from inside the cockpit, and check that you are completely locked, check in which direction, and finally check that primary threat is airborne but its radiation force is not increasing (the yellow ligts circle is not growing up which means that is not a radar homing missile). Of course, when a radar and an IR missiles are coming together, I cannot distinguish them.

So that's all so far, if any of you have tested and has new ideas, they are all welcomed.

Sorry for being a bit long, and kindly regards to all of you.