Viewing radios without TrackIR

kylania

In Black Shark you could slew the viewpoint around simply by pressing mousewheel button and moving the mouse around. The longitudinal motion would need another control but you could do that with another modifier key.

Good to see it in keyboard shortcut form though!

I find TrackIR very awkward with these skewed views. I scrunch down and left etc, my head held in an awkward position as I have to strain my eyes forward to see the screen, then I look down at the keyboard or mouse and by the time I look back up at the screen, the view I had is gone.

HAF 932, Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-920, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair Dominator 6GB, WD 1TB HDD, Sapphire 5870 Vapour X 1GB, (1 x iiYama E2410HDS 24" LCD), Nothing OC'd: Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller, Logitech G27 Race Controller, Logitech G15 Keyboard, TrackIR 5(w/pro clip), Windows 7 64bit.

dnme, I modified the TrackIR profile to cope with this. You can adjust the curves so that certain view directions are amplified more than others. This way, I don't have to break my neck for the most important views. For example: My movement is amplified alot when looking up- and sideways. I don't need the precision to read instruments, but can comfortably look around when flying steep curves or having a look over the shoulder when passing important points/objects on the ground.

Edited by bfeld
  • Like 1

dnme, I modified the TrackIR profile to cope with this. You can adjust the curves so that certain view directions are amplified more than others. This way, I don't have to break my neck for the most important views. For example: My movement is amplified alot when looking up- and sideways. I don't need the precision to read instruments, but can comfortably look around when flying steep curves or having a look over the shoulder when passing important points/objects on the ground.

Hi bfeld

Any chance you could upload that profile?

HAF 932, Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-920, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair Dominator 6GB, WD 1TB HDD, Sapphire 5870 Vapour X 1GB, (1 x iiYama E2410HDS 24" LCD), Nothing OC'd: Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller, Logitech G27 Race Controller, Logitech G15 Keyboard, TrackIR 5(w/pro clip), Windows 7 64bit.

Many thanks

Me using radios from memory, only pov left and i remember what, where, how much times to press :smartass: 10 mins on this and all of You remember:smartass:

EDIT: Example: Vaziani 140.00 - RMB first from left button to You hear click, and LMB 4 times and You on 140.00

EDIT 2: Two remaining radio panels are good visible

Edited by Miro

:pilotfly:

Pheeew...kylania....isnt there already a preprogramed views on radio panel?

Or, are there detailed instructions how to save a view to use it latter by only one key press?

None of the default Snapviews are pointed at the radio. There's one for the CDU, but it's slightly off. I'm not sure how to save these views though. I seem to remember reading that saving them doesn't work currently, so haven't really tried to.

As for it being difficult to "look down" with TrackIR, I've found that if you center the TrackIR view with your head slightly elevated and facing up that it's easier to look down and back. I'm pretty sure that this is simply due to where I have my IR camera and ProClip situated though.

Hi bfeld

Any chance you could upload that profile?

Hi dnme, as promised, here is my profile. It works quite good for me. Movement is accelerated with increasing angle but slowed down when reaching important positions (like looking down around 80-90 degrees in game). Nevertheless, it's really dependent of your setup, so here is how I use it:

TrackIR 4 with TrackIR 5 software. My TrackIR is located on my 22" monitor, approximately at eyes height. In normal position I'm sitting about 60cm away from my display.

Cheers, bfeld

profile.zip

Hi dnme, as promised, here is my profile. It works quite good for me. Movement is accelerated with increasing angle but slowed down when reaching important positions (like looking down around 80-90 degrees in game). Nevertheless, it's really dependent of your setup, so here is how I use it:

TrackIR 4 with TrackIR 5 software. My TrackIR is located on my 22" monitor, approximately at eyes height. In normal position I'm sitting about 60cm away from my display.

Cheers, bfeld

sincere thanks bfeld

None of the default Snapviews are pointed at the radio. There's one for the CDU, but it's slightly off. I'm not sure how to save these views though. I seem to remember reading that saving them doesn't work currently, so haven't really tried to.

Here's a method I've discovered to get the #2 keypad snapview to look at the entire CDU, compliments of the poster Crash_Fistfight.

And I quote:

"Ok heres how to change the view angles for the snapviews. Bear in mind that this being a Beta Wags has already stated that modding files is a no no.

1) Back up "DCS A-10C Beta\Config\View" folder.

2) Open DCS A-10C Beta\Config\View\View.lua with notepad++ and set "UseDefaultSnapViews" on line 50 to false, save and exit.

3) Open DCS A-10C Beta\Config\View\Snapviews.lua with notepad++. The A10C has the plane index 11 and the snapview index is the KP_No.+1 so 3 in the case of the CDU. I changed the value of line 970 from 19.something to 29.something which gives a fairly good view of the screen and keyboard."

This method works perfectly, and I suspect the same can be done for a good view of the radios, which I too, even with the benefit of Trackir 5, have trouble viewing clearly. Please take Crash's advice and BACKUP the file you are editing, and be sure to use notepad++ (free download) for changing any values.

Thanks again Crash for this very useful edit.

Kylania: I think you're correct in that eventually we'll be able to customize our views without the necessity of a manual edit.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.