CBU-87 "5-mil" CCIP: Invalid fuzing

kingneptune117

Im having a bit of trouble. I am trying to employ the CBU-87 using the 5mil method on a convoy at WP2. I configure everything on the ground, get in the air, then go to ccip. When I get there, I get invalid fuzing. Whats wrong? Heres the TRK.

http://www.mediafire.com/?obhbyvau3vy22cv

Edited by kingneptune117

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

From manual 383-384:

INVALID FUZING

The "INVALID FUZING" message is displayed on the HUD when an invalid combination of fuze and bomb data for the munition is selected for CCIP and CCRP modes.

• When utilizing the radar function of the FZU-39 (Tail Fuzing enabled), in order to warn of a potential CBU-87 or CBU-103 release below the FZU-39 HOF entered in the inventory settings for the weapon,"INVALID FUZING" will be displayed in the HUD when the aircraft descends below the set HOF. It will remain until the aircraft climbs above the set HOF.
  • For MK-82LD, MK-84LD, GBU-10, and GBU-12 when the FMU-139LD is selected as the tail fuze, selecting TAIL fuzing only will cause "INVALID FUZING" to be displayed untilcorrected in the weapons profile.
  • For MK-82AIR, selecting NOSE fuzing with Configuration set to Fixed High.
  • For MK-82AIR, selecting TAIL fuzing with an FMU-139 fuze and any configuration other than Fixed High.
  • For any LUU – any fuze setting other than SAFE will display "INVALID FUZING."

The invalid fuzing will appear on the HUD if you are equal to, or below the HOF set in the weapons Inv page.

Visually, you may see something different (we are, dare i say it again, in beta and this IS a WIP) but the effects on the ground in relation to the HOF set for the CBU87 is correct. This, conclusion, after 'extensive' testing with the HOF setting.

Test yourself and believe your own findings, not those of others who can easily make a post to the effect of 'it doesn't work'.

It does.

• Like 1

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Tyger must really be commended for his service to the DCS community for his unflappable commitment to providing clear, accurate information with the continually helpful reminder that any subject is a work in progress. His rep is well-deserved.

For the rest of us without the special Rainbow edition of DCS:A-10C Beta2 that he possesses, yes the current FZU-39 functions immediately after the arming delay on the CBU-87,89,103,105 weapons. The correct functioning of the FZU-39/B fuze would be a user-selectable height of function based on proximity to terrain which primarily controls the density of the sub-munition dispersion.

Tyger must really be commended for his service to the DCS community for his unflappable commitment to providing clear, accurate information with the continually helpful reminder that any subject is a work in progress. His rep is well-deserved.

For the rest of us without the special Rainbow edition of DCS:A-10C Beta2 that he possesses, yes the current FZU-39 functions immediately after the arming delay on the CBU-87,89,103,105 weapons. The correct functioning of the FZU-39/B fuze would be a user-selectable height of function based on proximity to terrain which primarily controls the density of the sub-munition dispersion.

Nice.... but what does the B after the 500 HOF setting mean? I noticed also there is A on some other HOF settings. Also is the HOF based on an internal (to the munition) barometric sensor? or is it radar alt based? (In Game)

I've been seeing /B A/B B/B D/B going on with bombs and I don't really know what those letters mean. I think that a BLU-999C/B means that it is the "C" version as in there was an "A" version, "B" version, and so on. The /B seems to always appear this way in a manner that suggests that /B means "the bomb is altogether and assembled."

If the HOF setting itself includes A and B options it sounds like the -39 is able to be set for either barometric or radio altimeter function.

Oh, wait, you're talking about the MFCD INV or PROF pages where you change settings. The FZU-39 is supposed to be a "proximity" sensor. I half remember reading that the -39 is a combination of an imaging sensor and a radio proximity sensor but I can't find that info again.

So i've been toying around with the HOF function, however, it doesn't work. I set the function to 500 feet, yet when I drop from 10,000 feet, the bomb splits open right away. I want the version of the beta Tyger has!

Edited by jazjar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

O.K so I tested the CBU from 6,000, this time setting the fuze to "tail" The blasted thing still didn't work properly, so I dipped down to 1,200 feet, which was my fuze setting, and got the "invalid fuzing" sign, as I should have. Seems the sign works properly, however, the fuze doesn't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been seeing /B A/B B/B D/B going on with bombs and I don't really know what those letters mean. I think that a BLU-999C/B means that it is the "C" version as in there was an "A" version, "B" version, and so on. The /B seems to always appear this way in a manner that suggests that /B means "the bomb is altogether and assembled."

If the HOF setting itself includes A and B options it sounds like the -39 is able to be set for either barometric or radio altimeter function.

Oh, wait, you're talking about the MFCD INV or PROF pages where you change settings. The FZU-39 is supposed to be a "proximity" sensor. I half remember reading that the -39 is a combination of an imaging sensor and a radio proximity sensor but I can't find that info again.

So... It looks like it's a radar prox fuse:

http://www.vipersinthestorm.com/html/weapons_bunker_-_page_3.html

Oh silly me, the HOF and spin settings are letter-labeled. If I recall the A setting is 300', B setting is 500', and so on.

The spin settings are in the M, N, O, P range or something like that.

They use this letter codes because not all fuze and bomb types are capable of the same settings and the letter prevent confusion. One bomb might have C-H while the next bomb might only be capable of A-F settings, but a "D" setting is always 1200' (wild example).

The default setting for CBUs in the game is 1200 ft. for height of function, you can't pre-load something different, you can only change it en-route or on the ramp. And by the way, these settings don't do anything besides set "invalid fuzing" on the HUD. They are WIP.

Edited by jazjar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It depends on the fuze. The M904/M905 mechanical fuzes are ground set (no flight option) with arming delay. The FMU-139 electrical fuze has in-flight selection for arming delays. The FZU-39 cannot change at least the spin/HOF settings in-flight.

There are things like functioning time that are absolutely set only on the ground. Those are the tiny fraction of a second delays between fuze trigger and detonation built into the fuze to alter blast and penetration characteristics.

Edited by Frederf

So how do I make my bombs go off when I want them to in Beta 3? or is that still not done yet?

As confirmed prior to Beta 3 release, Weapons are to be worked on for Beta 4. Whether all relevant fixes/changes will make it into the Beta 4 release is not a given.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As with a lot of topics I ask myself if things like this will be covered in more detail in upcoming versions of the manual. There's really a LOT of things one needs to find out for himself or by the help of the community. At least some links to websites or documents explaining things more detailed would be VERY useful. (CCIP-Modes, TO-TO/TO-FROM/etc. navigation modes, weapon settings,.... and sure some more points).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

So i've been toying around with the HOF function, however, it doesn't work. I set the function to 500 feet, yet when I drop from 10,000 feet, the bomb splits open right away. I want the version of the beta Tyger has!

If you read Tiger's post, he states that the effect on the ground is controlled by the HOF setting, but the bombs are not properly animated. I haven't investigated this myself, but I would trust him on this.

As with a lot of topics I ask myself if things like this will be covered in more detail in upcoming versions of the manual. There's really a LOT of things one needs to find out for himself or by the help of the community. At least some links to websites or documents explaining things more detailed would be VERY useful. (CCIP-Modes, TO-TO/TO-FROM/etc. navigation modes, weapon settings,.... and sure some more points).

Hi mate.

please feel free to cast your eyes over the 2 of the 3 part series of videos i have done on the CCIP mode - MR and 5 mill methods of delivery. They are really easy to follow (a lot of the 'science' of flying i have tried to push to one side) and very much based on a 'monkey see, monkey do' sort of approach.

The CBU 97, 103 and 105 models are all currently WIP in relation to effect, accuracy and graphical depitction of the animation in the sim ie the splitting of the bomb case at an apropriate pre programmed height - the HOF. However, the CBU 87 is the most accurate regarding accuracy, but still sometimes shows the splitting of the case at an alternative altitude to the one programmed.

remembering of course that the CBU 97 and 105's are basically a delivery for SFW's, i`m not sure that ED have plans to model these correctly for animation but they will certainly get around to the accuracy side of things for sure.

I done a lot of testing with the CBU 87 and i can confirm that the HOF in regards to the effect on the ground IS accurate even if the animation is not.

Hope this helps and clears things up.

Regards all.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

O.K., final annoyance, promise! I have a track where I set up my HOF function, and try to destroy 3 BMP-1s with CBU-87s. I know that these things are horribly ineffective against BMPs, but I didn't know that. The point is that I have the same HOF setting for each altitude I release at, yet I try setting N/T and tail fuzes, yet, the bombs all seem to have different impact patterns. Please tell me what I am doing wrong Tyger. ( and excuse my horrible excuse for flying )

cbu.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]