Hoist with your own petard

coolts

In my case it was clear what it was :D

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1016604&postcount=2

NOW THAT S AN EXPLOSION!!!Talk about target of oportunity...lol.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I'll bring this to the attention of the devs - you may have hit an invisible ground protrusion/spike.

Does this mean that if he was a bit lower his plane would have collided, or is it an event that only affect some specific items ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

If he was flying lower he would have collided ... IF what I said is true. Something else may have happened (possibly two weapons meeting in the air at an innoportune time).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, you can save the debriefing with a handy-dandy 'save to file' button in fact.

Goeth asked her a few questions to get clear on her objections, then simply said, "Shoot her." She was executed on the spot, after which Goeth said, "We can't have these people arguing with us." He then added, "Now tear it down and rebuild it just like she said."

If he was flying lower he would have collided ... IF what I said is true. Something else may have happened (possibly two weapons meeting in the air at an innoportune time).

Nope. One release.

Goeth asked her a few questions to get clear on her objections, then simply said, "Shoot her." She was executed on the spot, after which Goeth said, "We can't have these people arguing with us." He then added, "Now tear it down and rebuild it just like she said."

Schindlers list quotes on a Friday afternoon? Things are getting a little surreal round here. Did someone leave a paint tin open?

Godwins should be the official end of all threads IMO ;)

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Who said it has to be you releasing multiple weapons? ;)

I see from your debrief though that it doesn't look like anyone else was shooting at that time either.

Can you re-run your track and put the external view on, and switch it so that it displays X and Y coords instead of long/lat, and post the screenshot at the moment the bomb explodes please? Use time slowdown for the most accurate timing, then pause, and capture both the bomb itself (With F6) and then your plane with F2.

The X and Y are best for the devs so please ensure those are visible.

Nope. One release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Who said it has to be you releasing multiple weapons? ;)

I see from your debrief though that it doesn't look like anyone else was shooting at that time either.

Can you re-run your track and put the external view on, and switch it so that it displays X and Y coords instead of long/lat, and post the screenshot at the moment the bomb explodes please? Use time slowdown for the most accurate timing, then pause, and capture both the bomb itself (With F6) and then your plane with F2.

I will do that tomorrow. Do you want screens from the instant of the explosion or just before, or both?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Can you re-run your track and put the external view on, and switch it so that it displays X and Y coords instead of long/lat,

How do you do that?

Either is fine, the important thing is to be close the location of the explosion :)

I will do that tomorrow. Do you want screens from the instant of the explosion or just before, or both?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Once you are in external view, CTRL-Y will switch the bar format, or turn the bar off depending on how many times you press it.

How do you do that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That must be a Modern combat flight sim world record. :lol:

Maybe mal function ?

Should be interesting to see the TRK, but i suppose you don t have it.

I don't have it unfortunately.

I remember that I had fired one AIM-9 at an IL-76 but it missed. I fired a second and it hit. Shortly there after, I get a big bang. I'm thinking "It was an IL-76 it doesn't have any missiles and it was going down, so the tail gunner can't do anything!" Plus the damage didn't correspond with the tail gunner if he did hit me, it looked like a missile hit. No AAAs, SAMs, MANPADs, or other aircraft. Just me and an IL-76, I was using this mission to try out the AIM-9s.

Only way I can figure is that the AIM-9 pitched up and came back down. Or it looped around.

It could have been something else, but now I'm a lot more careful with my AIM-9s. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Antec DF-85 Case, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, air-cooled with Noctua NH-D14,

Corsair Vengeance 16GB, EVGA GTX 560 TI, Corsair Professional Series 750W, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD, ASUS EA-N66 Wireless Adapter

Like you released weapon, drag left it behind, and ipon engine activation the IR sensor tought your IR sign was much sexyer than the IL76 one ? Or went up to then look down and same as above ?

I find it a bit impossible, unless i don t know how you put yourself on your own missile path which i find equally impossible.

I don't know, somehow when the first AIM-9 missed my A-10 was in the sights of it. I do remember that when I got a little closer to IL76 I fired the second and as I flew off into the distance, away from the IL76, I got hit.

In every case I can think of its impossible, I just wish I had the track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Antec DF-85 Case, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, air-cooled with Noctua NH-D14,

Corsair Vengeance 16GB, EVGA GTX 560 TI, Corsair Professional Series 750W, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD, ASUS EA-N66 Wireless Adapter

If you look that flare is near the bomb maybe it hit the bomb

I give up... if you go back to the screen shots earlier in this post the fourth image.

Coolts, had a look through your track and could not find a reason why...

I took some pics.. Last pic is WTF? :noexpression:

Edited by egorter

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Master sergeant shooter sergeant important person of sergeants extreme:gun_rifle:

The mystery solved

Following CG's advice i ran through the the final moments of my doomed flight in slow-mo and look what i see. 1 second after bomb release i am dutifully popping flares.

picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=3002

hmmmm. flares are kinda close to thet giant metal firework arent they? :helpsmilie:

picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=3001

KA-BOOM. :(

CMS meets offensive weaponry and the laws of thermodynamics take over.

Gotta love ED for the their physics simulations. Never have I had to bear in mind the dangers of my own CMS before!

In future I will halt my CMS program till 2 or 3 seconds after launch. The risk of the missile which may be there is less than the giant frickin bomb which i know IS there!

Edited by coolts
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You make a good case but I am very interested to hear a comment from someone at ED before I believe it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

IF this is true, and also not just a bug, then IMO it should win in the best of "little details you have noticed" thread. Hands down. But Im not sure a flare could do that IRL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

In DCS bombs except for their fuzes seem to be non-solid objects that will pass through objects and let other objects pass through them unless something comes in contact with a fuze, then they go boom. The problem with this is that getting in contact with the fuze is much easier when you can do so from any direction, even through the bombs body. Also, the fuzes seems to be a bit too sensitive, a flare or some chaff or whatnot should hardly be enough to set of a bomb...

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I don't have it unfortunately.

I remember that I had fired one AIM-9 at an IL-76 but it missed. I fired a second and it hit. Shortly there after, I get a big bang. I'm thinking "It was an IL-76 it doesn't have any missiles and it was going down, so the tail gunner can't do anything!" Plus the damage didn't correspond with the tail gunner if he did hit me, it looked like a missile hit. No AAAs, SAMs, MANPADs, or other aircraft. Just me and an IL-76, I was using this mission to try out the AIM-9s.

Only way I can figure is that the AIM-9 pitched up and came back down. Or it looped around.

It could have been something else, but now I'm a lot more careful with my AIM-9s. :P

You sure the aim-9 was not mounted on one of your rudders, right behind the engines? One of those hidden hardpoints.... :doh:

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit