Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

OMG, my brain hurts trying to figure this out. I have 4 screens in a T shape. three 1920x1080 across the top (5760x1080) and the bottom monitor is 1680x1050. I can't understand how to set this up. I would like the bottom to Show the MFD's and avionics and the top to span the main view. Any help would be appreciated.

makes for 5760x2130

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 5760;

height = 2130;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5760/2130;

}

}

GUI_center=

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080 ;

}

UIMainView = GUI_center

name this in the file field,

save as file,

select in options

you place the bottom screen via Windows display or NVidia Control Panel etc.

that's it for 1 big viewport

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Funny we pay for many many years and still we have to kludge this together just because DCS got in a fight with a guy who made an application to do all this automatically. Such a shame DCS is still a kludged mess even today they expect paying customers to hack this shit.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lost. Here's my set up and what I want to do. Can someone get me started by writing a lua file for me and I'll adjust the MFD sizes once I get the main lua file written for me.

I have 2 screens, one on top of the other. My Top screen is 3440x1440 and will be used for the cockpit view. My bottom screen is 1920x1080 and will be used to put the MFDs for the A10. I want the Left MFCD in the upper left corner of the bottom monitor and the Right MFCD in the upper right corner of the bottom monitor. I'm using Helios for the bottom monitor and the profile has two big empty spaces for the MFDCS to sit in and I need to mess with the sizes once I get the lua file started for me. Thanks!!

Windows 10

ASRock Z370 Extreme4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) MOBO

intel i7-8700k (Not overclocked)

16 GB Ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 108ti SC Black Edition

SSD

Trackir

Read my old post saves all the trouble playing with Lua files

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60815&page=89

| i9 9900K Octa Core 2TB SSD +32GB Spectrix DDR4 @3200MHz RGB | 2 x Radeon RX480 in Crossfire. | TrackIR5 HOTAS Warthog,MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs |

[OCG] Oceanic Combat Group

discord.gg/ZmXEBSU

"Through The Inferno"

by deadlyfishes

Official Australian Servers

SRS: All Servers have Auto-Connect Enabled

Server 1: TTI Caucasus

Server 2: TTI Persian Gulf

Server 3: OCG Training

Server 4: OCG NTTR & Multiplayer Missions

Australian Website

AU Discord Server

This may have been addressed already but I've been reading for a couple hours and don't find it. What if I want to move my two side monitors "up" so to speak? As in, what if my center monitor is a touch taller than my side monitors so I need to adjust the two sides so the picture moves up slightly?

I'm currently working on bezel corrections and testing those but I thought I'd check. Center monitor is 27" and the sides are both 24". I meant to buy a 24 for my center but I goofed and ordered the bigger one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

i have been triying to get my a-10c mfd's to export but i just screwed everything again and again..

can you give me a monitor.lua complete script?

1st monitor 1920 * 1080 (main monitor but my desktop settings labelled it as "2")

2nd monitor 1440 * 900 (i want to export my mfds' here and nothing else)

my tries enden with these erros:

some part of the gui passed to 2nd monitor and some settings disappeared

i don't want to see main game on 2nd monitor, just mfd

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

actually i tried to follow that one but i am very noob on this.

it was like:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('a10c mfd export');
Description = '2 screens a10c mfd'
Viewports =
{
  Center =
    {
           x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 3360;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = screen.aspect;
    },

LEFT_MFCD =
	{
         x = 1921;
         y = 0;
         width = 525;
         height = 525;
	},

RIGHT_MFCD =
	{
         x = 3000
         y = 1200;
         width = 525;
         height = 525;
	},
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
LEFT_MFCD  = Viewports.LEFT_MFCD
RIGHT_MFCD = Viewports.RIGHT_MFCD

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

Show me how Windows has arranged your monitor....like the first picture in the post I referenced.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have attached the screen position

Youtube

ok. i managed to export mfd screens with your tutorial.

but there is something wrong with the image.

i can see the game just outside the mfd frames. see the pic.

it is not a big problem because i will place tm mfd frames on the screen and i will not see this part but does it affect my fps?

EDIT: when i am not using a-10c, i saw 3 main screen and it kills my fps (80 to 30). isn't it possible to export only mfd screens without whole game?

name = _('HSBMFD1');
Description = '3 Screens and L-R MultiMFD'
Viewports =
{
  Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1920/1080;
    },

LEFT_MFCD =
	{
         x = 1960;
         y = 65;
         width = 400;
         height = 400;
	},

RIGHT_MFCD =
	{
         x = 2900;
         y = 65;
         width = 400;
         height = 400;
	},
}

Edited by ebabil

Youtube

This may have been addressed already but I've been reading for a couple hours and don't find it. What if I want to move my two side monitors "up" so to speak? As in, what if my center monitor is a touch taller than my side monitors so I need to adjust the two sides so the picture moves up slightly?

I'm currently working on bezel corrections and testing those but I thought I'd check. Center monitor is 27" and the sides are both 24". I meant to buy a 24 for my center but I goofed and ordered the bigger one.

To answer my own question for those that might run into this, you just have to pretend your two smaller monitors are taller, or fool the computer into thinking they are. It takes some guess and check but I basically added something like 250 pixels to the height of my side monitors in the lua and also added that much to where the computer would "start" the screen in the upper, left corner. Basically it just works it out so the computer is making the image on each side monitor something like 1920 X 1330 or whatever and "trimming" the top 250 pixels off of each one.

Like I said, guess and check, but it helps in case you have smaller monitors on the side.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok. i managed to export mfd screens with your tutorial.

but there is something wrong with the image.

i can see the game just outside the mfd frames. see the pic.

it is not a big problem because i will place tm mfd frames on the screen and i will not see this part but does it affect my fps?

EDIT: when i am not using a-10c, i saw 3 main screen and it kills my fps (80 to 30). isn't it possible to export only mfd screens without whole game?

name = _('HSBMFD1');
Description = '3 Screens and L-R MultiMFD'
Viewports =
{
  Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1920/1080;
    },

LEFT_MFCD =
       {
         x = 1960;
         y = 65;
         width = 400;
         height = 400;
       },

RIGHT_MFCD =
       {
         x = 2900;
         y = 65;
         width = 400;
         height = 400;
       },
}

Glad you got it sorted (mostly). You have some space between where you main monitor ends 1920, and where your left MFDs start 1960

So I would start by shifting the resolution to 1920 for your left MFD. Same goes for you Y axis. It may be a bug as you explicitly stated where the center is x, y to zero and 1920 x 1080.

You're in game resolution is set to 3360X 1080, I'm assuming?

Can you elaborate about "when i am not using a-10c, i saw 3 main screen and it kills my fps (80 to 30). isn't it possible to export only mfd screens without whole game?" Can you take a picture of what you mean? The GUI shows up 3 times?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

i made a try with huey with this lua and there were 3 hueys. one for main screen and 2 mini hueys on other screens

Youtube

Oh, that's bad. I won't be back until Friday. So I'll definitely try it out then. You're using 2.5 or the 2.5 Beta?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Oh, that's bad. I won't be back until Friday. So I'll definitely try it out then. You're using 2.5 or the 2.5 Beta?

2.5 release version

update: i tried dcs virtual server program to create another lua file and it provided only mfd screens and better fps.

now i have 2 minor problems;

* 2nd monitor (used for mfds') is normally black but sometimes it shows white glitches / spikes especially when i move the mouse around the plane.

* labels corrupted. they seem to get far when i zoom-out and label is shown miles miles away from the unit.

Edited by ebabil

Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

For me the labels are working in 2.5.1 Open Beta.

I use 5 screens on 2 cards.

23,6" / 32" / 23,6" on GeForce GTX 970 for worldview.

2 x 8" on GeForce GT 710 for MFCD export with TM Cougar MFD's attached.

I am now working on a how I got it to work thingie.

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core

ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

32GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

GeForce GTX 970 4GB

23,6”+32”+23,6 16/9 screens

CH Flightstick Pro, Modded TM T:16000m, Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, G27, TH Cougar MFD's

No it isn't difficult. It doesn't take much understanding. There is plenty of guidance here and ED have provided the basic facilities that need no special skills. If your monitor are different sizes why would you even bother, it's self defeating.

So you are saying that because my main workscreen at 32" only leaves room for 2 x 23,6" side screens, I should not bother? How is it self defeating?

Sometimes you have to work with what you got and not what you wish for.

If it is that easy and simple, then why is there so many questions in this thread?

Yes, if you have 3 similar screens it is simple. When you move beyond that, it is anything but.

Part of that, is that it is difficult to find the current and up to date information in here.

Google mojo is not with you when you don't know what words you should search for.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes it is frustrating spending 80 to 90% of my available gametime in here, trying to find a solution to a specific problem, instead of playing DCS.

I have my screen setup working and are now writing on a how I did it thingie.

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core

ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

32GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

GeForce GTX 970 4GB

23,6”+32”+23,6 16/9 screens

CH Flightstick Pro, Modded TM T:16000m, Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, G27, TH Cougar MFD's

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

After a bit of help. Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I haven't seen anything to help me out.

AM running 2.5 Openbeta for FA-18C

Have 2 screens. a 43" 4K as main monitor and am using my Surface book screen as second monitor.

I just want to use the the Surface for the kneeboards.

Have the surface (Tablet) positioned below the main monitor, vertically lined up along the left edge.

I have created a second LUA in the monitors folder, but I can never get it to show up in the options screen. I'm presuming I've got the code wrong and DCS is rejecting the file or something.

Code is below:-

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('2 Screens');

Description = '2 Screens - 1 Main Camera, 2 - Kneeboards'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777778;

}

Tablet =

{

x = 0;

y = 2161;

width = 2000;

height = 3000;

aspect = 2.3;

}

}

Kneeboard = Viewports.Tablet

Any Ideas ?

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

Hi All,

After a bit of help. Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I haven't seen anything to help me out.

AM running 2.5 Openbeta for FA-18C

Have 2 screens. a 43" 4K as main monitor and am using my Surface book screen as second monitor.

I just want to use the the Surface for the kneeboards.

Have the surface (Tablet) positioned below the main monitor, vertically lined up along the left edge.

I have created a second LUA in the monitors folder, but I can never get it to show up in the options screen. I'm presuming I've got the code wrong and DCS is rejecting the file or something.

Code is below:-

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('2 Screens');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777778;

},

Tablet =

{

x = 0;

y = 2161;

width = 2000;

height = 3000;

aspect = 2.3;

},

}

Kneeboard = Viewports.Tablet

Any Ideas ?

Hmm, I didn't know there was a kneeboard view port. But anyway, you're missing two commas. Let's fix that first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hmm, I didn't know there was a kneeboard view port. But anyway, you're missing two commas. Let's fix that first.

HA ! Thanks hansangb :thumbup:

Yep that fixed it, now it shows up in the option screen. Figured I was doing something stoopid ! :doh:

Kneeboards still show up on the main screen though, so you're right, Viewport option didn't work. Just got to figure how to move them now. I'll keep trying.

Cheers Harp074

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

HA ! Thanks hansangb :thumbup:

Yep that fixed it, now it shows up in the option screen. Figured I was doing something stoopid ! :doh:

Kneeboards still show up on the main screen though, so you're right, Viewport option didn't work. Just got to figure how to move them now. I'll keep trying.

Cheers Harp074

BTW, you're off by one, right? Since you start for Y=0, the tablet should start at 2160. Also, remember, your resolution in the GAME setting has to encompass the entire setup. So

3840 x 5160

Man, that's a lot for the Surface Pro to drive, me thinks.

Also, maybe KneeBoardBuilder can help? I haven't used it. Also maybe this brute force method may work?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2155448&postcount=1

Good luck!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

BTW, you're off by one, right? Since you start for Y=0, the tablet should start at 2160. Also, remember, your resolution in the GAME setting has to encompass the entire setup. So

3840 x 5160

Man, that's a lot for the Surface Pro to drive, me thinks.

Also, maybe KneeBoardBuilder can help? I haven't used it. Also maybe this brute force method may work?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2155448&postcount=1

Good luck!

Thanks again hansangb :)))))

So anyone else can do this...

Forget putting any kneeboard references in the monitor.lua file, just specify the the number of screens. eg below...

name = _('2 Screens');
Viewports = 
{
    Center = 
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 3840;
         height = 2160;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1.777777778;
    },

Tablet =
  {
	 x = 3840;
	 y = 0;
	 width = 2000;
	 height = 3000;
	 aspect = 2.3;
 },
}

Set your resolution to cover the total, so for me it was 5840 x 3000.

Next, per the post above, alter the viewportHandling.lua file to move the kneeboard to where you want. Just a small note, the line to edit is now line 33.

So for me that line is now:

dedicated_viewport 		  = {3840,0,2000,3000}

Surfacebook's native res is 3000x2000, so it drives that no issue. Windows 10 allows you to project to a surface via wifi, and its only a 13.5" screen so the res is amazing. I use it mostly for work, but it now has a extra job. :smilewink:

Cheers Harp074

Thanks again hansangb :)))))

So anyone else can do this...

--snippage--

So for me that line is now:

dedicated_viewport           = {3840,0,2000,3000}

Surfacebook's native res is 3000x2000, so it drives that no issue. Windows 10 allows you to project to a surface via wifi, and its only a 13.5" screen so the res is amazing. I use it mostly for work, but it now has a extra job. :smilewink:

Cheers Harp074

Glad it helped. Hopefully, others can benefit. And I have a Surface Book as well. Love the Wireless HDMI dongle as well. It's the perfect companion for watching online content in hotels.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---