Problem with Warthog Throttle

After two months my throttle went south, yes I updated the firmware. It was working fine when I shut down , then nothing the next time. Windows displays "device not recognized". Contact TM, by phone, and was told me it has to be sent back, and wait for a email, follow it's instructions.

They replied and now I'm in touch with Hercles support. Now comes the frustrating part. For some reason my email server won't, or can not send the photos on the thottle and invoice as require. ( sent photos just befor and it went through to another email address) as attachments.

I even set up another email account on a different server for this problum. Resent the info, the attachments went through and recived a responce in French ( sent in english and I can read only english) Transalated with Bing. It told me to used their form, which does not have the Warthog HOTAS listed. Sent it anyway still waiting.

If anyone in the USA , I'm in NJ, had to send the throttle back, please let me know how to do it.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do have the latest firmware? http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=311&cid=1

How to do it:

Unplug stick and throttle.

On throttle, hold down autopilot disengage and landing gear warning silence buttons and plug in USB connector.

On joystick, hold down trigger and red S2 weapon release button and plug in USB.

Then run firmware update procedure.

Checked in TARGET before and after - problem solved.

The TM WH throttle is simply dead.

I have tried (again) the proposed fix.:cry:

But there is simply no connection btw pc and throttle.

I think its a hw issue. Could it be possible just to have a hardware electronic replacement? Im not very keen to send this brick half around europe and back to have it repaired! A tiny little circuit board replacement and some soldering would be possible?:music_whistling:

Rig:

CPU: I7 975 @3.33ghz

Mobo: Asus P6X58 D-E extreme

Mem: 12gb corsair.

Psu: 1kw psu H50 watercool

Gpu: ATI HD 5970 crossfire

Flightdeck:

Obutto cockpit

Output:3x24" BenQ monitors Eyefinity.

Input: Hotas warthog, Saitek Combat pedals, TIR 5 w/clip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I ordered the Warthog a few days ago and I'm now having second thoughts after reading all these horror stories. There seems to be a fundamental hardware problem with the throttle and I don't believe the fix / preventative measure is as simple as a firmware update, as some people have found out already.

So where to go from here? Cancel the order until they address the problem or cross my fingers and hope for the best?

I'm in Australia so repair could take weeks if it goes belly up.

I ordered the Warthog a few days ago and I'm now having second thoughts after reading all these horror stories. There seems to be a fundamental hardware problem with the throttle and I don't believe the fix / preventative measure is as simple as a firmware update, as some people have found out already.

So where to go from here? Cancel the order until they address the problem or cross my fingers and hope for the best?

I'm in Australia so repair could take weeks if it goes belly up.

That's simply up to you, you take the risk of it breaking or it could work perfectly for you. Good luck with which ever u choose.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I'm curious as to exactly how many people are having this problem. Hearing about a few here- considering the quantity that has been sold- doesn't mean it is a widespread problem; then again, the same thing happened with the Xbox 360.

This was one reason I bought mine through Walmart tho- they have a 90-day return policy on electronics.

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-V // Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz o.c. 4.4Ghz // 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 PC2133 9-11-10-28 // MSI 570GTX Twin Frozr 1.25GB PCI-E 2.0 x16 // Win7 64-bit Home Premium ~~ DISPLAY: Sanyo 42" HDTV@1900x1080 ~~ DRIVES: Intel 330 series 60G Maple Crest SSD SATA III // WD 4000AAKS 400GB SATA II // WD Scorpio (laptop drive) 320GB SATA II ~~ CASE: AZZA Hurrican 2000 Full Tower // Cooler Master 750W P.S.

While the failure of my throttle is a royal pain in the six, I'm fairly confident that the issue will be resolved. There have been atleast 4000 of these units produced and it seems

a small number have a problem even knowing this I would still buy what is a damned good product. As Cali said, the decision is yours to make. <s

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

Tough call but I think I'll bite the bullet and go ahead with the order.

Someone mentioned before the problem could be caused by current spike in the USB port during power up, should I unplug the HOTAS after shutting down or is that going to do more harm than good?

Hmmmm, mine arrived last Thursday, switched on the computer this morning and the throttle is not recognised, done the TM help desk thing and still not recognised in Windows. Left it plugged in all that time. Now the dilemma, do I get it replaced by the seller or a refund? It really is a great setup when working, but this kind of worries me for longevity of the product.

Midwestboi: Exactly! There are quite a large number of wh's sold, but there are (give or take) 30 people here, who broadcast their problems about it.

We just don't know how many other people that don't use these or other forums are having issues. Would be nice to know, but many people fly single player.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

We just don't know how many other people that don't use these or other forums are having issues. Would be nice to know, but many people fly single player.

Exactly, the only way to have an aproximation to the extension of the problem would be taking the SN registered in this site and make a % of TM paper weight we actually have/had.

I m almost sure its a poor batch of component that doesn t resist some energy issue. All beta are GTG(good to go) and WAI (working as intended), but the FUBARED (need explanation ? :D) models are main production.

Its the infamous Made in China quality surfacing. :mad:

I m still waiting for mine to be freed from customs, but i m really worried now on what attitude i should adopt when it lands home, as firmware may help/delay but ain t the solution.

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Same thing happened with the Cougar and MFD's. Hopefully whatever is going on get's sorted out fast. Here the failure rate seems high, but maybe the people on these forums got the bad batch :dunno:

Here we go again. I wanted to love this gear but it's just the same old story. Crap.

I love the look and feel of the TM throttle/joystick set but I'm so sick and

tire of being sold CRAP for top dollar, I mean, how hard can it be to fit a

set of reliable electronic these days?

This is always the issue with Thrusmaster products.

The cougars: Sparky pot.meters

The Mfds: Buttons and terminal malfunction

The Warthogs: Dead throttle.

The re-occurring theme to me is dealers trying to sells us sub-par gear at top gear price, all the while ignoring the real issues and claiming great customer service.

Customer service should be the experience defined when I purchase the product.

Not when I have to deal with you later because you sold me something that is non-functional.

I feel bad for you guys who have invested quite an amount of money in this

hobby and I feel sorry for you guys eaten dirt already.

I hate being kicked in the sticks.:mad:

Gotta find something else to input my "Flight station"

Same thing happened with the Cougar and MFD's. Hopefully whatever is going on get's sorted out fast. Here the failure rate seems high, but maybe the people on these forums got the bad batch :dunno:
  • Like 1

Rig:

Flightdeck:

Obutto cockpit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don t count on it.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Here we go again. I wanted to love this gear but it's just the same old story. Crap.

I love the look and feel of the TM throttle/joystick set but I'm so sick and

tire of being sold CRAP for top dollar, I mean, how hard can it be to fit a

set of reliable electronic these days?

This is always the issue with Thrusmaster products.

The cougars: Sparky pot.meters

The Mfds: Buttons and terminal malfunction

The Warthogs: Dead throttle.

The re-occurring theme to me is dealers trying to sells us sub-par gear at top gear price, all the while ignoring the real issues and claiming great customer service.

Customer service should be the experience defined when I purchase the product.

Not when I have to deal with you later because you sold me something that is non-functional.

I feel bad for you guys who have invested quite an amount of money in this

hobby and I feel sorry for you guys eaten dirt already.

I hate being kicked in the sticks.:mad:

Gotta find something else to input my "Flight station"

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have an idea.........CH needs to buy out TM. CH's guts and programmablilty with TM's feel and look= a winner! :clap:

• Like 1

Where are Thrustmaster representatives on this forum? Or, any forum for that matter??

I am running my throttle and stick via a self-powered USB Hub and am hoping that this will keep it from bricking, firmware was upgraded right out of the box (first thing I did). But without any confirmation/acknowledgment from the official reps of TM, things from a public relations perspective are only going to keep getting worse... with threads like this growing.

my opinion anyway...

There are several 'complaints' in this thread from folks that don't even own a Hog. Also, from everything I see, TM has been very responsive for the folks that have had problems. I don't think the problem is big enough for a TM rep to step up and confirm some wide-spread issue that really does not sound wide-spread yet.

I do sympathize with the folks that wound up with a non-working throttle, but I am not convinced that my throttle is going to die based on what I've seen here. I guess time will tell.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

There are several 'complaints' in this thread from folks that don't even own a Hog. Also, from everything I see, TM has been very responsive for the folks that have had problems. I don't think the problem is big enough for a TM rep to step up and confirm some wide-spread issue that really does not sound wide-spread yet.

I do sympathize with the folks that wound up with a non-working throttle, but I am not convinced that my throttle is going to die based on what I've seen here. I guess time will tell.

Yes TM was nice and prompt sending me a new one from France when I sent my brick to Canada. Total turn around and 5 calls to support with 5 emails I had it in 3 weeks minus 65 dollars for postage to Canada.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dont own a Hog. I am planning to buy one. And as all products i want a quality reasurance. This device is going to cost me about 350 euro's an for me that's a lot of money to spent on a PC device (i dont dare to call it a joystick).

I shouldn't think about the fact that my throttle dies within a week. I have mailed TM with questions about this problem and im sure i wont receive an answer. They dont facilitate a regular product forum (which i really do not understand!) so this forum is all i have for a good impression. And a dead throttle is a huge problem! I want the HOG really badly but first TM needs to acknowledge and / or adress the dead throttle as being an incident or a problem.

Without sollutions there aren't any problems

CASE: CM 690 II / PSU: CM 750 Realpower / MB: MSI P55 GD65 / CPU: I7-860 @ 3,8 GHZ / MEM: 4x2GB OCZ 1866 Platinum / SB: Creative X-FI Extreme gamer / GPU: ASUS GTX 275 / HD: 2 x Samsung F1 1 GB / OS: WIN 7 64 Bit H.E. / MON: 1 x Samsung Syncmaster P2770HD & 1 x Samsung syncmaster 940bf / Logitech G27 / logitech G110 / Logitech M705 / Logitech Extreme 3D pro / Saitek Proflight Yoke, 2 USB Throttle controllers & rudders / TrackIR 4.0 /

What do you want to know that you can't figure it out yourself from these forums?

That a handful of ppl have had their throttle brick out of how many production releases? I don't know their figures but mine is at 4xxx already. Going back a few pages on this forum I struggled to find 10 ppl who have reported their throttle dying - if you can find a higher number, I'd gladly be corrected. Plus those ones that have bricked are commenting on several threads.

What % has actually bricked? Given that is it worth TM coming out and saying that a very tiny % has problems - if that were the case we'd need reps for every single product that's ever been manufactured. I'd understand if they had a 20% brick rate.. maybe even a 10% brick rate.. hell give me a 5% rate.

Thus it's easy to conclude that while there is a chance your throttle might brick it's a very, very minute one. The question then becomes: do you feel lucky, well do ya?

Even if yours does brick TM have proven that they're willing to replace it.

So there's your answer - it is an incident, albeit a very, very minor one. In the general scheme of things not worth really bringing to the attention of the board (sucks for us on a personal level). If you're one of the unlucky ones then contact us and we'll replace it.

I dont own a Hog. I am planning to buy one. And as all products i want a quality reasurance. This device is going to cost me about 350 euro's an for me that's a lot of money to spent on a PC device (i dont dare to call it a joystick).

I shouldn't think about the fact that my throttle dies within a week. I have mailed TM with questions about this problem and im sure i wont receive an answer. They dont facilitate a regular product forum (which i really do not understand!) so this forum is all i have for a good impression. And a dead throttle is a huge problem! I want the HOG really badly but first TM needs to acknowledge and / or adress the dead throttle as being an incident or a problem.

What do you want to know that you can't figure it out yourself from these forums?

That a handful of ppl have had their throttle brick out of how many production releases? I don't know their figures but mine is at 4xxx already. Going back a few pages on this forum I struggled to find 10 ppl who have reported their throttle dying - if you can find a higher number, I'd gladly be corrected. Plus those ones that have bricked are commenting on several threads.

What % has actually bricked? Given that is it worth TM coming out and saying that a very tiny % has problems - if that were the case we'd need reps for every single product that's ever been manufactured. I'd understand if they had a 20% brick rate.. maybe even a 10% brick rate.. hell give me a 5% rate.

Thus it's easy to conclude that while there is a chance your throttle might brick it's a very, very minute one. The question then becomes: do you feel lucky, well do ya?

Even if yours does brick TM have proven that they're willing to replace it.

So there's your answer - it is an incident, albeit a very, very minor one. In the general scheme of things not worth really bringing to the attention of the board (sucks for us on a personal level). If you're one of the unlucky ones then contact us and we'll replace it.

Well, as mention above it seems that we are 30+ people that have announced a faulty throttle, at least both in simhq forum and here.

It should be easy to initiate a poll on how many having this issue....

And bear in mind that I got the unit early in October. So there is most certainly a quite a few more to claim a repair or a new unit. ...So we better stay togather in this case.:joystick:

I got mine set from flightstore.co.uk and i’ve requested a solution to the problem. But no reply. I’ve send a new mail but still no answer.

I’ve also a addressed my problem to TM, but only this “Dear Mr......Thank you for contacting us...” so far.

I’ve been loyal to TM since 1998 starting with the “haute conture” throttle quadrant system and later the Hotas Cougar with faulty variable resistors making all my landing a challenge with the Falcon 4. And I was in heaven getting this new unit. So precise and smooth...

Be sure I will follw this case closely

Rig:

Flightdeck:

Obutto cockpit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where did you get 30+ ppl from.. like I said going back a few pages I counted less than 10 here... and only one thread on the throttle dying on simhq by one person. I can check the 145 page thread they got there but I'm pretty sure that they don't have 20+ ppl in that thread saying their throttle has bricked.

But lets say you're correct though - 30 out of how many production releases? If my onw is 4xxx - 30/4000 = how much % have bricked? Like I said, not a big issue at all for TM. Not even a real blip on their radar.

Ofc it sucks for us on a personal level if one of ours has bricked and we're most vocal on the forums but in the bigger picture it's definitely not a widespread issue.

Having said that I'm hoping I don't fall into that miniscule percentile and bricks it - but even if it did I'll just return it for a replacement. No biggie.

Finally got someone, by phone, going back and forth by email was frustrating. My thottle is shipping out to Canada tomorrow. It will be interesting to se how long it takes to get it back, and if its the same serial number.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

bricked throttles sux... :)

RwlUQEo4Vc0

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO