depressible pipper function

coolts

What do it do?

I can slew it, i can depress it, but i don't know what to do with it? :book:

I originally thought it was like the "gun cross" from falcon and i could use it to calculate AOA, but if it can be moved......

Then i thought it was like the LOMAC A-10A pipper for designating CCIP targets, but in DCS you designate with the CCIP pipper.

hmmmmmm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

As far as I know, the depressible pipper is a left over from the days when all weapon delivery on the A-10A was manual. When the A-10 first entered service there were no computers to perform CCIP and CCRP calculations, bombing was done manually by pre-calculating a pipper depression value. This would depend on factors such as airspeed at release, altitude at release, dive angle, weapon balistics etc. The pipper would be set according to this rigid set of variables and the aircraft would have to flown very accurately in order to meet them i.e. dive at precisely the right angle and speed and then release the weapon when passing the correct altitude with the pipper tracking the target.

Basically the same method used in any aircraft prior to the invention of modern fire control computers...

I assume it remains in the A-10C as a backup option for when the computers fail. It could be put to other uses I guess but I don't know...

It would be great if ED were to give us a set of tables to use to generate our own pipper depression values, but it might be a bit hard core for most...

I think it's only real use is as a reference point. Might be helpful when flying level and want to know exactly what angle something is from you, but not sure. The only concrete use for it I've seen is as a sighting line for the targeting pod when it's in air-to-air mode, since you don't get the diamond on the HUD to indicate where it's looking.

Edit: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1000591#post1000591

"TGP boresight position in A-A mode - 41 mils (3 degrees)."

Edited by nomdeplume

I think it's only real use is as a reference point. Might be helpful when flying level and want to know exactly what angle something is from you, but not sure. The only concrete use for it I've seen is as a sighting line for the targeting pod when it's in air-to-air mode, since you don't get the diamond on the HUD to indicate where it's looking.

Edit: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1000591#post1000591

"TGP boresight position in A-A mode - 41 mils (3 degrees)."

Once you move the reference point though.......

I will experiment in the TGP for A-A, (i read that post before starting this one). I wonder if you can turn it off? If its a hangover from older A-10's then it's just taking up HUD real estate IMO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

The depressible pipper can be used for a variety of things:

It's used for manual bombing, obviously, but it also aids in the boresighting of Mavericks, can be used as a "set track" reference when pulling to the Aim-Off Point during roll-in, etc.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams