GAU-8 Sound

aphelion79

What are your guys' feelings on the in game sound of the Avenger tearing to hell and back? I think it sounds VERY close, but there's just something about it that makes me think of some old time era arcade games. Being a huge audiophile this drives me nuts. =D

Ignoring the source of where this comes from, and focusing on the audio you can hear it sounds very close to what I've heard in game. However do any of you agree somethings just not quite right about it?

Perhaps its due to FRAPS audio compression I'm hearing that very subtle digital noise?

Can anyone post videos to help me compare? =D

Edited by aphelion79

What are your guys' feelings on the in game sound of the Avenger tearing to hell and back? I think it sounds VERY close, but there's just something about it that makes me think of some old time era arcade games. Being a huge audiophile this drives me nuts. =D

Ignoring the source of where this comes from, and focusing on the audio you can hear it sounds very close to what I've heard in game. However do any of you agree somethings just not quite right about it?

Perhaps its due to FRAPS audio compression I'm hearing that very subtle digital noise?

Can anyone post videos to help me compare? =D

already talked about to death in sound forums,

i have a audiomod in the works which improves many of the ingame sounds, wont be released unitl sim is launched , =WIP

Nice to see that real hog pilots fly in the stall warning threshold also. I thought I was being too rough with the stick.

Wish a mod was not necessary to make better sounds in just about every game ever released.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Come on guys - need more examples of the GAU-8 firing in game... bring the love! =D

As requested ;):

• ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE, Intel Core i7 8700K, Kingston HyperX Predator RGB DDR4-2933 32GB, Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Phoenix GS (11GB), Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO 1TB, Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
  • ASUS Z87-Deluxe (C2), Intel Core i7 4770K, Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 32GB, Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH (8GB), Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB, Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
  • TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek PFRP, TIR5

My Callsign in game is: Supertomcat

One thing is, the audio (real life gun cam video) is being recorded by the pilots tiny vocal conderser mic, it's designed to only pick up a certain vocal frequency range of sound to eliminate background noise, i.e engines etc. My point is, what it sounds like to the pilot in-cockpit, is not what it sounds like on the narrow bandwith A/V recording. So the the in-cockpit sound in game is inaccurate.

Edited by digitaljjd

One thing is, the audio (real life gun cam video) is being recorded by the pilots tiny vocal conderser mic, it's designed to only pick up a certain vocal frequency range of sound to eliminate background noise, i.e engines etc. My point is, what it sounds like to the pilot in-cockpit, is not what it sounds like on the narrow bandwith A/V recording. So the the in-cockpit sound in game is inaccurate.

Good point and sounds logical. So then, unless we have a hi-fi recording form within the pit of the gun, who is to say that what ED has done thus far is inaccurate? Unless I missed a hi-fi in pit recording. I don't think there are any?

In my one and only experience of seeing a 'gatling' gun running (without ammo, it was a shipbourne Phalanx CWS), it made a hell of mechanical racket, I thought it was busy tearing itself to pieces. Turns out, thats how it sounds without ammo, the sound of the shots just drowns it out when it's being recorded by audio equipment. So yeah, mechanical noise...

Good point and sounds logical. So then, unless we have a hi-fi recording form within the pit of the gun, who is to say that what ED has done thus far is inaccurate? Unless I missed a hi-fi in pit recording. I don't think there are any?

I wish there was! I've watched the A-10's at Shaw AFB on their firing range in SC. It's an awesome thing that's still burned in my mind. It's an amazing sound. There is no way it sounds that "tin canned" in the cockpit. That GAU-8 is crazy. In flight firing in-cockpit has to be insane. Maybe someone can convince a Hog driver to use a hi-quality digital voice recorder while firing in-cockpit while in flight. They can fit one in a small pocket. All it takes is a press of the button.

I wish there was! I've watched the A-10's at Shaw AFB on their firing range in SC. It's an awesome thing that's still burned in my mind. It's an amazing sound. There is no way it sounds that "tin canned" in the cockpit. That GAU-8 is crazy. In flight firing in-cockpit has to be insane. Maybe someone can convince a Hog driver to use a hi-quality digital voice recorder while firing in-cockpit while in flight. They can fit one in a small pocket. All it takes is a press of the button.

Apparently you can also smell the cordite within the cockpit after firing a burst. I can't believe ED didn't take the time to recreate this obvious enhancement to the sim.

It's not what it sound like in the cockpit that matters, It's what it sounds like with the Pilots headset on. I can't see how you could record what the pilot actually hears.

however If you did record the sound in the cockpit, you may be able to approximate that the pilot hears by applying high pass/low pass/ band pass type filters.

Edited by Frogfoot

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Intel i7 920 Corsair H70 water cooled @4GHz), Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel, Nvidia GTX780, OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD (for OS+DCS), TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS + Saitek Rudder

• ED Team

First of all: our sound engine still can not reproduce supersonic cracks from the flying shells that one can hear in the live records. :) So only shells bursts will be heard in DCS.

About in-cockpit sound and impression I've heard from A-10 former driver Hammfist (He was very active on SimHq and now I missed him) . He said, that it fires like you drive the car on the side of the road. No unusial. For him not for me that time. :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

First of all: our sound engine still can not reproduce supersonic cracks from the flying shells that one can hear in the live records. :) So only shells bursts will be heard in DCS.

About in-cockpit sound and impression I've heard from A-10 former driver Hammfist (He was very active on SimHq and now I missed him) . He said, that it fires like you drive the car on the side of the road. No unusial. For him not for me that time. :)

Thank you for all your continued hard work! I know it's a beta. I'm picky when it comes to sound. I want to squeeze the trigger and everytime I hear that GAU-8 go off I want it to sound so sweet it puts a very large smile on my face. Of all the sounds to get right it has to be the trademark sound of the GAU-8, of which the A-10 was built around that I care about the most. It sounded like you guys maybe tweaked the external a bit recently? It sounds pretty good! I don't have the beta yet, but will very soon. Thanks again, looking forward to the finished product.:thumbup:

If in game i can hear THIS i just can say WHOWWWw!!!! at 0:14

it's close, without the reverberation, it's a bit more "crispy" in the video than it is in the sim. In the sim it is more sub woofer like, but from the cockpit, it sounds good and that's good enough for me, after all im in the cockpit when i fire the cannon :)

WOOOOoooooo

------------------------------------------------------

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz Black edition

8GB DDR3 1333

GeForce GTX580

Windows 7 64bit

------------------------------------------------------