Desired release cue and Minimum range staple

AvroLanc

Is there any guidance on how to set up the desired release cue (TOF) and minimum range staple (Min Alt) on the DSMS profile page? Does the min alt setting actually have an effect on the little minimum range carrot on the CCIP reticle - leaving the setting at 0 produces the MRS and min range carrot, but what range does this represent? I always seem to get the X in the CCIP reticle (invalid release according to manual), even at 3000+ ft.

Does leaving Min Alt at 0 default the system to a cetain range, because it doesn't seem to set the MRS to zero...

On a similar note, does the escape maneuver setting have an effect on release parameters? If so what exactly? What do CLB, TLT and TRN stand for?

Lots of anal questions I know and I suppose it's all a WIP, but someone may be able to cure my curiosity....

The DTOF setting affects the DRC. If you want the bomb to fall 20 seconds then you set 20 seconds DTOF and then using the DRC normally achieves that. The hi/low setting are for weapons like the Mk-82AIR which have high and low drag deploy modes. They are usually for making sure that your fuse time to arm after leaving the aircraft, but might have lasing, CBU, next pass, or escape considerations as well.

Min Alt. (height?) setting affects MRS/MRC cues. I don't quite understand how the min alt. setting influences the MRS/MRC exactly but I imagine the higher your minimum altitude (for release) the longer your minimum (slant) range to the target would be as indicated by the MRS/MRC. The MRS/MRC might also be inflated by your desired escape maneuver if that is the limiting factor in minimum range at release.

From the ACC Handbook

5.13.1.7. Climbing Safe Escape Maneuver

Normally, a climbing safe escape maneuver (CLM) is used for dive angles greater than 20º. After release, obtain 5.0 G's in 2 seconds. As the nose approaches the horizon, apply military power. G is maintained to a 20º climbing flight path angle and then relaxed until 30º.

5.13.1.8. Turning Safe Escape Maneuver

For dive angles 20º or less, a CLM or turning safe escape maneuver (TSEM) may be used depending on MAJCOM or local guidance. Refer to the Dash 34 for TSEM procedure. CAUTION: There are two types of TSEMs: Level Turn and Descending Turn; ensure you refer to the appropriate one.

CLM is the climbing maneuver, TLT turning escape maneuver, level turn, and I think TRM is turning escape maneuver, reverse maneuver (reciprocal course).

Ok, thanks. How do you decide on the time of flight you require? Obviously for old fashioned manual bombing the time of flight was a key variable and was affected by weapon balistics, dive angle, airspeed etc. With CCIP this becomes somewhat redundent doesn't it?

Would TOF be related to the tactical situation - i.e. you need the weapon to impact no more than 10 seconds after release due to escape considerations, ground forces requirements etc?

I'm guessing the Escape maneuver setting changes the position of the CCIP reticle slightly either to delay or advance the release. i.e. for a steep dive delivery with a 5g pullout the aircraft will decend futher into the possible frag zone so selecting CLM initiates a slightly earlier release (by changing the reticle position in the hud) so that the aircraft can escape properly. Is this right?

I appreciate this probably isn't modelled in the sim.

Cheers.

Edited by AvroLanc

Most bombs have a delay between release and fuse activation. At minimum you would want this delay set long enough that if the bomb detonated immediately after the delay for any reason, the launching platform would be safe. Thus you might set your TOF figure as a "floor" so you don't have a TOF less than the arm delay. Similarly there are considerations like the bomb needing time to orient properly for fuse function, especially radio ones, or to impact deeply for bunker busting. Dropping a Mk-20D Rockeye for example involves a time-based dispenser activation so dropping at a specific height directly controls the CBU footprint. Baro or radio CBU dispense fuses dispense at a few selectable altitudes. DTOF can at least make sure the CBU has enough time to "do its stuff." Buddy lasing is pretty common with LGBs. Having the TOF a known quantity can really help get the optimal lasing time pre-briefed for the lasing platform. Especially the Paveway II, you don't want to lase too early because it will cause the bomb to take a poor path to the target possibly coming up short. If you lase too late there might not be enough time to correct onto the target or the target may even be out of view. You could also use DTOF to coordinate time-deconflicted attack runs but with munitions hitting at the desired times. A couple low Mk82AIR attack runs might be deconflicted by 15 seconds but done at different altitudes such that all the bombs hit at the same time.