X52pro Drop Check

Looking for feedback on this new profile for X52 I just put together. My methodology was to create all the bindings first, but not to any specific button. I then started placing them symmetrically while accessing the 'delete unused buttons' to see what was left. Spent many hours. Anyone see any problems with it? Opinions please.

PREP: To prep for this profile you must turn off the clutch function in the SST Control Panel. To do so right click on the controller in your systray (next to clock on taskbar) and select Control Panel. Take note that you can see all the button numbers from this first tab. By selecting a function on the HOTAS you can see which button number is lit. Go to the options tab and deselect the check next to Clutch. Sorry this is so vague, I'm in Vegas right now and can't look at the screen in question. I'll update this post after Vegas is done with me.

TRACKIR: Although there are no settings on this HOTAS for TrackIR, I've received some requests for key info. I personally use the same keys as are the defaults for center, pause, and precision.. with the addition of the CTRL key. I've found that CTRL+F12, for instance, hasn't interfered with any sim or game I've used the TrackIR with. Because I don't have room on the HOTAS to assign TrackIR center, I use voice activated commands. So I say 'Track IR Center' and it completes the keyboard command CTRL+F12. I also use VAC for all Radio and view related functions. For more information on VAC check the links in my related post.

I tried everything I could to get the slider input to stop jumping around, including ordering a powered USB adapter.. no joy. I settled for using the slider, not for precision zoom, but to control three positions. I go into my ZoomView/JoySlider1 axis tune and make my settings:

Deadzone: 0

.............X: 100

.............Y: 100

......Curve: 100

.......Slider: Unchecked

.......Invert: Checked

UserCuver: Unchecked

This gives you the ability to zoom full in, zoom full out, and center. I've found it saves me the diversion of trying to find that perfect zoom on something. The three positions are truly the most useful.

10.15.10 0100: reference pic updated with HOTAS functions and Startup Proc.

10.16.10 2019: updated pic to reflect new assignments.

Changes: Added the Trim to Stick key to button D.. this must be set in game. It's a wonderful feature where you hold the button.. and movement of the stick = trim input.. works great. I found that my radials were just too unreliable when set as bands in SST.. have to wait until they add them in the axis section next update.

10.17.10 0126: Fixed a problem with mode2 pinky.. I input keypad numbers instead of standard by accident.. bleh.

10.27.10 0331: Take note that that the reference picture is incorrect for TMS and DMS for the Forward and AFT functions. I'm in Vegas now and have no editing software, but I'll correct it asap.

11.03.10 0054: Note to people with problems after beta2 install.

12.15.10 0737: Updated pic and added diagram only pic. Profile: Added wheel brakes to mode3 clutch button.

02.28.10 0739: Updated profile to remove airbrakes from throttlewheel (I always hit it by accident) to the thumb radial, I've come to terms with the fact that there will not be a trim axis in the future. I also added NVG gain to the top throttle radial. I find myself using it frequently with JTAC IR spoting. Both pics and the downloadable profile are updated with the new functions.

IMPORTANT: Subscribe to this thread and check periodically for an updated profile to download. I doubt this is a final. I'd hate to give a bad layout to anyone.

Profile can be downloaded HERE

Pic w/Tables | Pic wo/Tables

newx52a10cwarthog.jpg

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

WOW! Excellent work.

I'm no expert on programming the x52pro but this is what I have tried to achieve without success for days. Looks very promising. I have a Pro flight quad I'm trying to work in as well.

Any chance of sharing this?

Cheers,

Yeah, I'll share it when it's done, no probs.

Cjlive, do you think it would be an advantage to move either DMS or TMS over to POV2(top hat)? I split CMS to two different modes due to the fact that one axis selects the program, another engages that program. It would take two clicks within a second span to change program and engage it. I see what you mean though.. I'll play with it.

Slug, the brake wheel is set up into bands and latched, pushing the wheel forward one click starts opening the brakes and another click unlatches the action, or stops the brake from opening. Pulling the wheel back does the same for closing. I was worried that I might leave the open or closed action latched with a single forward or aft action and forget about it, causing a problem. It turns out that any other action causes the latch to break (other than axis commands).. it may be a pain though. I'll tell you how it goes.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Gday StrongHarm,

Maybe switch one out for the mic switch ? Though that may not feel right.

My current hat setups are.

POV1 DMS

POV1P Trim

POV2 TMS

POV2P CMS

HAT3 (throttle) China Hat

HAT3P Coolie Switch

Currently have the boat switch on the function / stop / start buttons.

I'm liking your china hat setup , as it wastes a complete hat using 2 of the 4 directions.

CJ

I tried to keep my x52 profile as close to the real thing as poss, so my castle stick switch does TMS and then with pinkie on does DMS. My throttle hat does coolie and china hat on E and D buttons.

Also where is your trim?

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

I tried to keep my x52 profile as close to the real thing as poss, so my castle stick switch does TMS and then with pinkie on does DMS. My throttle hat does coolie and china hat on E and D buttons.

Also where is your trim?

See the black text ? :) no trim via SST but via the game settings on throttle

W7 pro 64bits - I5 750 @2.75Ghz - 8Go RAM Corsair @1600Mhz - ATI 5850 1Go DDR5 - x52Pro - TrackIR 4

French user - keep cool with my english :)

See the black text ? :) no trim via SST but via the game settings on throttle

True, oops, didnt think to check the throttle for trim.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Nice work StrongHarm. Good to see a few profiles starting to pop up.

Just made my V1.0 setup tonight and whilst I have not tested all functions, seems to be working ok on the couple of test flights I made. Thought I would put it here as this could become a X52 Pro gathering place. :) (not trying to hijack your thread).

I did most of the configuration in-game, with just the toggle switches, miniswitch, precision slide and Fire D & E in Saitek. I have the 3 modes configured in the Saitek profile - just to give a few more options once I start getting into it. I don't have pedals (rotate used but now shown on the settings) or TrackIR (yet) so the view stuff is just on POV1. Trying to keep it simple and will add more later.

Big thanks also to Bucic if he reads this for sharing his original layout and tips on editing svg files.

Cheers,

Botch....

2068997912_BotchA-10X52Prooverview.thumb.png.8b73972619b850c942ca30f2f62b14a5.png

Edited by Botch

E8400 @ 3,7 GHz | 6GB | ATI 6950 | Transcend 128GB SSD | 1T Samsung F3 | 24” 1920x1080 BenQ | TM Warthog | TM MFD's | TrackIR5 | Saitek Combat Pedals | W7 x64

Botch, I like the way you used the select switches on the bottom of the throttle. I need to do that. Your label switches may not be needed if you use sim mode instead of game mode. I assume you meant engine start and stop (there's two starts) on your toggles. Be careful that you don't have a frequently used function on the same toggle in another mode. Stopping Engines at 3k is bad. I like the speed brake on the precision slider, but I can't get away from using that for zoom (although sometimes it has epileptic fits). Nice profile.

Cheers, :thumbup: is always very interesting to see how people do their setups.

They are actually Engine Stop's on T2 & T4 in M3 - but now you mention it I have to wonder about the wisdom of having them mapped. I usually flip straight out of Take Off (M3) mode into Flight (M2) as soon as I have set the flaps to normal. That way I get to LAAP.

The Lables was just a test to see what they do. Actually haven't tried them yet.

There has been a few ways of doing zooming....but actually the Start/Stop & Reset buttons work ok. A bit of a stretch with the thumb. Was thinking of trying the Rotaries, but mine are really stiff from never really being used.

Thinking of moving a few things around already. Like having the China Hat on Fire D as it is more accessible. Planning on getting a TrackIR next month so the View will be removed from POV1 and DMS will be programmed into that position.

How do you find using the POV3 with TMS & DMS in 2 different modes? Also the Coolie is in a different mode to TMS. Is it ok for switching MFCD's when you are trying to set up a Mav?

Botch...

E8400 @ 3,7 GHz | 6GB | ATI 6950 | Transcend 128GB SSD | 1T Samsung F3 | 24” 1920x1080 BenQ | TM Warthog | TM MFD's | TrackIR5 | Saitek Combat Pedals | W7 x64

Hey Botch. China hat works great on B3/B4, and you don't have to do advanced commands for the long and short, as the sim takes care of that. The exceptions are the items I marked 'hold for' on the profile. CMS for instance, has 4 positions translated to one button through advanced command. Another important advanced command was the speed brakes to mouse wheel. I had to macro 2sec open command.

TMS and DMS being on the same hat works great for me. I find that slew is needed for both, as is coolie. It's very intuitive to be working with DMS lefthand + slew right hand /coolie right hand... thumb to mode two ... TMS lefthand + slew righthand/coolie righthand. Check the color codes on the ref: coolie is across all modes and slew is across all modes (except 3 which is a non critical utility/takeoff mode)

I'll be posting the SST profile up as soon as I work out a few kinks.. probably today.

Edited by StrongHarm

just curious, how did you program the short and long keypresses for the pinkie? That could fix my issue with the CMS switch on the mouse wheel. If a quick press of the mouse wheel starts the program and a long hold ends it, it would be perfect.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

DayGlow.. right click on the button and choose advanced command > in the first box put the shortclick key. In the second box put the long click key. In the second box rightclick on the first keypress in the line and select delay. Put a numeric value in (1.0 for 1sec). Name and save it.

Original Post updated with download of profile.

DayGlow.. right click on the button and choose advanced command > in the first box put the shortclick key. In the second box put the long click key. In the second box rightclick on the first keypress in the line and select delay. Put a numeric value in (1.0 for 1sec). Name and save it.

Ok so it works as long as the first keypress doesn't matter if it's sent again. Probably would work for the CMS if you send the start program command again.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Someone asked about restoring defaults to the controllers to prep for this profile. Simply go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C Beta\Config\Input\Aircrafts\A-10C .. in the Joystick folder (and keyboard if you want to set that to defaults) move any of the files out with the later date.. those are the files created when you make changes to your setup. When you restart DCS you'll find everything back to install values.

To prep for this profile, select 'A-10c Sim' and 'All', then delete everything in the X52pro column. Enter the 6 black(denotes ingame set) controls from the diagram into the appropriate function. Note that Trim isn't in the Axis section yet, so this profile uses the 'Stick to trim' function on button 7.

• Like 1