How's multiple JDAMs handled?

zakobi

I've done a double JDAM release in a single pass. I used the TGP set as SPI. Set up the axis of attack carefully, track the 1st target with the pod and pickle at max range, quickly track the 2nd target (SPI follows the pod), pickle before min range.

From about 12000ft you can get 2 bombs off no problem. From way higher up you could no doubt get 3 or even 4 off in a single pass. very useful and something LGBs can't do.

Well, in the A-10C JDAMs are targetted using the SPI (Sensor Point of Interest) they will simply fly to the point you designate as SPI.

If you have any knowledge of JDAM usage in other aircraft you'll know there are two ways to employ JDAMs (and other type of GPS guided weapon);

The first is pre-briefed where the coordinates of the mission target(s) are programmed into the aircraft systems and the bombs prior to takeoff so all you need to do is fly into range and hit the pickle button.

The second is TOO (Target Of Opportunity) mode where you provide target coordinates to the bomb on the fly as and when you locate your target, this is the only way use can employ JDAMs in the Hog, pre briefed is not available.

As mentioned above this is done via the SPI, you can set any sensor or waypoint as the SPI. To drop multiple JDAMs on multiple targets all you need to do is move the SPI between each drop, in the case of the TGP you find your first target hit the pickle button then slew to the second and pickle and so on, you don't need to enter target coords manually at all. You can easily drop 4 GBU-38s (or any other GPS/INS weapon) on 4 seperate targets in a single pass this way.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Alternatively, ID and store your target co-ords before-hand with the TGP and then prosecute accordingly without the need to drop, slew to 2nd/slew to 3rd etc etc. My personal fav at present is the 8-DAM drop from Angels 22. At impact you're already on egress approx 12 miles from KZ and running. Remarkable that such precision strikes are possible.........Talk about not knowing what hit you and from where it came :gun_sniper:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Alternatively, ID and store your target co-ords before-hand with the TGP and then prosecute accordingly without the need to drop, slew to 2nd/slew to 3rd etc etc. My personal fav at present is the 8-DAM drop from Angels 22. At impact you're already on egress approx 12 miles from KZ and running. Remarkable that such precision strikes are possible.........Talk about not knowing what hit you and from where it came :gun_sniper:

Can you give some more detail on how you accomplish this?

That sounds interesting. Is it simply a case of selecting one GBU from the DSMS page, defining a SPI , selecting another GBU, defining another SPI etc then ripple drop the lot?

Cheers

Tom

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Intel i7 920 Corsair H70 water cooled @4GHz), Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel, Nvidia GTX780, OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD (for OS+DCS), TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS + Saitek Rudder

That sounds interesting. Is it simply a case of selecting one GBU from the DSMS page, defining a SPI , selecting another GBU, defining another SPI etc then ripple drop the lot?

Cheers

Tom

No

Creation of offset mark-points and then cycling through said mark-points at weapons-release, ie JDAM per mark-point.

I'll attempt to clarify if still needed - don't know how well that will turn out though....Getting it from my head to keyboard in terms understandable to those who do not know might backfire, leaving all more confuddled than what they were at the outset: Never was a very good teacher :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dont know what DMPI is (yet), but I use the same method as Viper, for example with four targets, just use the TGP to set a mark point at each target (short TMS right) then switch the steer point dial to Mark, then long TMS back and now when you use the UFC rocker it goes through all targets, showing them automatically even on the TGP. So now just select the GBUs and go, after each release change mark point with the UFC rocker or hotas DMS if HUD is SOI. 4 releases, sometimes just 3 if im not fast enough :) But it works great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

How do I clear offset markpoints? If I can't, how do I know which markpoint will be overwritten the next time I create one?

Markpoints are created from A-Y (25). One Y is reached, next MP will overwrite MP A and so on. In any event, with the capability to store 1000 mark-points (40x25), overwriting should not be an issue :)

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I know, but is there zero indication of exactly what point is going to be overwritten?

Not sure I am understanding your question properly, but Mark-point A in the TAD (with relevant details as per EGI) will be overwritten with a subsequent mark-point A if you are utilizing the same Flight Plan and are wanting to store a 26th (in this case A) mark-point. MP 26 (A) will overwrite MP 1 (A). Same for B, C, D etc etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure I am understanding your question properly, but Mark-point A in the TAD will be overwritten with a subsequent mark-point A if you are utilizing the same Flight Plan and are wanting to store a 26th (in this case A) mark-point. MP 26 (A) will overwrite MP 1 (A). Same for B, C, D etc etc.

I 100% completely understand that the marks will be overwritten.

What do I do if I have all 25 marks filled and I have a bunch of targets I need to mark for a JDAM run. If I have forgotten which mark was next in line to be overwritten or maybe I accidentally hit the mark button an extra time or two, it seems I am screwed because I don't know what mark I'm saving to.

So simplified: Is there any indication as to what mark (abc) the plane will save to next?

EDIT:

found it

34t4i8w.jpg

New problem:

It seems that the system is stopping at Y and not continuing to A like it says in the manual and as you've explained. Is this a bug or am I wrong about that letter in the CDU being the indicator for the next mark save?

Edited by Jesse

I found that a really useful method for JDAM delivery is along the lines of what people have already suggested but I added an extra step: If you know that the target is going to be stationary for some time, you can make your marks with the TGP, and then save the markpoints in a seperate flight plan. Then you can simply switch to this flight plan with the CDU, and call it up when you're ready for JDAM delivery. The nice thing about it is that the plan shows up on the TAD with each steerpoint a target, and you can store an arbitrary number of plans (if necessary).

It's a pretty simple process but if anyone's interested I can throw up a youtube vid showing how it's done.

I've tried using the TGP to mark points, it works but it seems like my mark points are always around 10-15 meters off of the target and rarely directly on target. I'm assuming this accuracy is correct for these mark points.

I've tried using the TGP to mark points, it works but it seems like my mark points are always around 10-15 meters off of the target and rarely directly on target. I'm assuming this accuracy is correct for these mark points.

Mark your target with the TGP while in POINT Track mode and see if accuracy increases. I have noticed that range/slant angle/altitude will all influence perceived 'accuracy' of TGP LOS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will have to read up on making mark points more. How do you get the TGP to instantly lock to the next mark point? I assume you flew over the targets somehow to mark those points before heading in, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Will have to read up on making mark points more. How do you get the TGP to instantly lock to the next mark point? I assume you flew over the targets somehow to mark those points before heading in, right?

What he did was assign them as "mark points." He can then set his CDU from Flightplan to Mark Points and cycle through them as one would cycle through Steerpoints in a Flight Plan.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT