Heads Up Display view and focusing

cobrakev

I was able to find how to adjust my seat position without useing zoom functions. I will post how I did this when i get back home, right now i am on the road using a smartphone. However i have found that simply moving the eye point back (not by using the zoom keys) the HUD gets cut off. In Black Shark the Hud looked and fit the glass it was projected on perfectly. However with the A-10c if you move your head back (or eyepoint) to were it would be in real life the HUD symboligy feild of view becomes larger than the glass its projected on. Like I said before in Black Shark this wasnt the case. I hope this can be fixed...

So the hud symbology isn't limited to the actual hud frame?

i.e. those metal rods on both sides?

The HUD is not the active display. It's a semi-mirroring surface that reflects a projection. As with any mirror, if you move your position, the reflected area changes accordingly. As such can move your head to a point where you are no longer able to see the reflection at all.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Correct. In RL if you lean your head back, symbology will be cut off. It is collimated for infinity and it is designed to take up a certain amount of ANGULAR space. So if you're too far from the HUD, you only see a part of the projection.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Correct. In RL if you lean your head back, symbology will be cut off. It is collimated for infinity and it is designed to take up a certain amount of ANGULAR space. So if you're too far from the HUD, you only see a part of the projection.

I can understand this. But the default eye position (both up/down and fore/aft) is, for me, too far forward and too high. Even with TrackIR, I find it difficult to lean in and get good views of the MFCDs or CDU.

Are there predefined snap views or can a snap view be defined that will zoom on the various displays to make in-flight head down work easier?

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Good question - I can't answer that for you because I used a 46" screen for flying and frankly I see everything um ... really well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

But the default eye position (both up/down and fore/aft) is, for me, too far forward and too high. Even with TrackIR, I find it difficult to lean in and get good views of the MFCDs or CDU.

Same here... I found it not normal that head/pilots eyes are so not naturally close to front panel and above stick. If it was not affecting once moved aft, I wouldn't care. But by moving aft (and recentering TrackIR 5) HUDs data cut off, and that's not good. I hope that ED will get it fixed in final release...

I will post a eyepoint fix for anyone to try out useing the same zoom level as default. Its about 11 inches farther back from default. And it levels the pitch of your view so you are looking streight ahead and not 22 degrees down. Its the best i have found that can show almost all of the hud. And it is slightly higher up meaning the pilots eyes are above the top of the hud glass as in real life. Just look at the pictures and out sife views of were the pilot eyes would be. It acualy works pretty good.

I have to keep leaning forward in order to read the whole hud. Leaning back cut offs some data on the HUD. If I center my Track IR to be close so that I don't have to keep leaning, then everything looks to close up to me, like zoomed in. I want a wider view but yet able to read the HUD.

Trying to adjust the seat for a better view of the HUD, I could only adjust the seat one way (down) with left mouse click on the seat adjust toggle. Doing the same click and trying to move the toggle in the opposite position doesn't move the seat up. When I use the right mouse click instead, it opens the canopy! seems like a bug.

I have zoom set on my HOTAS, everyone should IMO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.