Other Game Engines

locoidal

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man! It would be amazing if DCS terrain and atmospheric model would look like that in the future.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Very toonish looking, and Arma already has that small of a map covered. Basically, unless I missed some realism simulation, its just Arma.

I have been playing Arma for a long time. And right now i'm playing arma 3 and i love it. But besides from the Cartoonish style this looks way better in my opinion. Way more detail.. and mountains that actually look like mountains. Valleys are really impressing as well.

Another vid:

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

• 1 month later...

Now Outerra has support for headtracking with Freetrack (and Facetrack Noir). Coool!!!

Check it out!

T4jislCSicY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 5 weeks later...

Clouds are being developed by Outerra team. Looks like a good starting point for some global weather engine.

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=2148.0

imL3jHZSVrPxE.jpg

iKwS8EM79EnUu.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Would be awesome. But Outerra is not yet finished... maybe doesn't have exact support for DCS World (at least not now)... and who knows how much it would cost to buy and move to Outerra.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the only problem are the trees, they used these static 2d planes that always face the camera which completely break everything. Of course, this is a minor detail that is easy to fix. The details on the mesh appear to be very great, I wonder how far the mesh can go with that amount of details though.

The Biomes are in development and maybe they will be released this year... so it is rumored but not sure.

Also... Outerra engine can be tested for free... you have just one plane I think.... but the whole planet is there to be explored in the engine. And if you pres G you get the GPS map from google showing your exact position... which is funny especially on great landmarks. Like Everest... Grand Canyon (which is full of trees for now :D ), etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Outerra is OpenGL if I'm not mistaken

Even better, compatibility won't break with every new version of the API.

@OP: both DirectX and OpenGL development are free. (edit: well that was an old OP lol... oh well)

In any case, there are many advantages of an in-house engine, as mentioned by others. It can be tailored to the needs of the program (rather than the other way around), developers are more intimate with it for changes that are necessary. Inhouse code isn't a black box. You are not paying for features you don't want/need. The list can go on.

Of course there are advantages the other way around too, but looking at a different engine is better when starting a new project instead of on a well established one.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The terrain in DCS is OK for flight SIM...

But nothing else. And there lies the problem. DCS has a FANTASTIC flight sim engine. But it needs to move on into vehicles and FPS as well in order to compete with Arma and newer upcoming engines like Outterra, which are looking to make bigger, more sophisticated "Battlefield" engines for the PC crowd. There is little want for pure flight sim engines anymore. If Arma brings its aircraft up to the "Flaming Cliffs" level of simulation, which won't take THAT much, it will be a DCS killer, as I suspect most players are into FC3.

I LOVE the realism of DCS aircraft, but I'm really looking for more.

Edited by Bigby Wolf

I LOVE the realism of DCS aircraft, but I'm really looking for more.

We all want more and ED knows this. Look at the list of announced DCS level aircrafts! Impressive graphics in Arma 3 also but look at those small maps man! Outerra is a long way from a flight simulator at DCS level until proven otherwise.

If Arma brings its aircraft up to the "Flaming Cliffs" level of simulation, which won't take THAT much, it will be a DCS killer, as I suspect most players are into FC3.

Oh rly? Fly at 5000 feet in ARMA and look how pretty your scenery is then. If you can still see any. If you think these LOD issues are easy to overcome, just look at the performance problems that people are having with the new ARMA III map that has just come out (which is probably still only a fraction of the Georgia maps size). No DCS killer in sight, not for the next 5 years anyway.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Yes, but most FPS players will be happy with that "small" map, believe it or not. I'm not, but I could deal with one about 5 times that size flying a jet. Just enough room to manuever and fly around. I can remember trying to fly in Chernarus in the A-10. Don't blink, or you'll miss the map. :P About 5 times that size would have been a little tight, but enough to retreat, land, re-arm, and go back to CAS.

My problem with DCS is that there just doesn't seem to be any "game" to it. AI is pretty dull, so there's really no one to "support" on the ground. After you've learned the controls and flight systems, it feels like "that's it". I don't have anyone to communicate with and support on the "ground". Its ok if your a pure flight jockey doing CAP in multiplayer, but I like the CAS and ground pounding just as much, and that means having ground troops to coordinate with. We also want to play infantry on the ground, and be able to call in CAS. This is the "Battlefield" that a lot of PC gamers / simmers are looking for. Hopefully, we'll see Spectrum Holobyte's vision of it come true, one day.

Edited by Bigby Wolf

Just enough room to manuever and fly around. I can remember trying to fly in Chernarus in the A-10.

Still not even close to a DCS killer then, not for people who like to fly at least for 5 mins to their intended target.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Originally Posted by Bigby Wolf,

"I LOVE the realism of DCS aircraft, but I'm really looking for more."

I totally agree with you bud,and looking at other forums we are not alone.

DCS level aircraft are all fine an all,but really,what is the point of bringing all these lovely planes to life if all there is to do is take off, shoot something, and return.Rinse and repeat.

It does get rather boring after a while and it is not just DCS,but a good load of the newer games suffer from lack of content.(for want of a better description)

Missions are OK sometimes but they are mostly a mix on the same genre which gets old very quick.

We are told a dynamic,persistent campaign is unattainable at present,but I fear until something along those lines comes along we are just stuck in the same rut for the next 5 years,maybe?

I don't know the answer but I do know I just want a little more than whats out there at present,maybe just getting fed up with gaming in general,I don't know TBH. Lol.

Now,Multiplayer is a totally different ball game,fine if you have the time,but most (IMO) prefer to play SP.

The missing/lacking storyline/plot from games nowadays is the thing I seem to miss most, I want to FEEL part of something,or that my actions have/cause consequences in the grand scheme.

Mick. :(

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Originally Posted by Bigby Wolf,

The missing/lacking storyline/plot from games nowadays is the thing I seem to miss most, I want to FEEL part of something,or that my actions have/cause consequences in the grand scheme.

Mick. :(

By now, to have some kind of fun playing dcs in SP, you have to do a lot of work with imagination. Luckily there is multiplayer :thumbup:

Luckily there is multiplayer :thumbup:

Which is fine IF your only interested in the air element. There are no multiplayer ground forces. And there is no intelligence down there. That and CA is a bad joke. I'm really waiting to see what terrain / object detail level EDGE will bring. Outterra is really looking interesting, and could be a future ARMA type engine.

I fear until something along those lines comes along we are just stuck in the same rut for the next 5 years,maybe?

Unfortunately, that's what they were saying on Frugal's 5 years ago. :doh: Realistic sims seem to be in a BIG rut.

Edited by Bigby Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

CryTek capabilities

No, definitely not a Space SIM. RealTime Immersive.

I've had some time to look at the screens on their website.

So far everything points to capabilities in the ballpark of current Bohemia Interactive titles, but no theatres (and drawing distances) of DCS scale. If i missed something, please do enlighten me but judging from what i was able to dig up i find the notion that CryTek could be anywhere near capable of fullfilling the requirements of a flightsim absolutely absurd.

Come let's eat grandpa!

please do enlighten me.....absolutely absurd.

Thanks but no thanks - I have no intention whatsoever of engaging in discourse with your level of absurdity already well satisfied ;)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'