169th Dedicated Now 10Mbit

Well we've kept it quiet during the setup period but now it is up and running.

Thanks to 169th Helix for his efforts and "connections" we now own a 10Mbit Dedicated Server specifically for running Lock-On!!

Located in Texas so pings should be good for most people wanting to join.

Expect FULL REAL settings and tough opponents. A first for a server of this magnitude.

So come on in and join the fun.

I think what Groove, and many others, would like to know is if you0ve managed to set up some sort of remote administration tool to load missions, ecc. so that you don't need a physical human locally operating the server. Maybe you just use PcAnywhere or something of the kind?

Great job anyway! ;)

OT: You know what miniwar mission you host on your dedicated server? why so many manpads directly in the flightpath? it defeats the purpose of the flight path which is to avoid sams :) I just think the mission would be a lot better if you put the man pads with the targets that were meant to be destroyed rather than on a mountain in the middle of nowhere who happen to know what my flightpath is

A flight plan cannot be calculated to avoid manpads, they can appear anywhere as they are not a trackable air defense resource, which I think is reflected realistically in this case. Not having a dig mate im just pointing something out :)

"I love smashing the crap out of those buggers on the ground who keep making a beeping sound on my RWR..... the bells the bells!!!!!!.... erm yeah.... I like destroying SAM sites, thats the main point"

You know what miniwar mission ... why so many manpads directly in the flightpath?

I only remember encountering two myself, both in the same general area (along a ridge line). It's natural for air defences to deploy themselves around expected enemy avenues of approach, not just around potential target areas... especially highly mobile MANPADs. Stay alert around your approach avenue, Iglas are very easy to avoid if you see them.

MANPADs and most other short range air defence units are easily avoided by flying above their threat envelope. Alternatively you can map you own flight route. You don't have to fly waypoint to waypoint you know. Use the map in the briefing and the bearing/distance tool to plot your own course. Look for good terrain features to facilitate your approach to target. That's what I do.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

169th Panthers - http://www.169thpanthers.net

Now if we can just get enough people in HL to fill up a few 1.1 servers we'll be set. I'm looking forward to new people online with sales reopened.

Ditto. There have always been a number of 1.1 servers available, just never enough 1.1 pilots around to fill more than one or two of them.

Many people have been asking in HL where to get FC for weeks now, now we can finally give them an answer.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

Is this going to be a2a only or are you going to make it a full mission?

The missions will be changed regularly, as it was with our old dedicated server. Expect to see A/A fighter sweep missions, and full out mini-battle scenarios with both A/A and A/G aircraft flying.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

But how do you setup a Lomac dedicated server.

You simply host in spectator mode. Unfortunately there isn't any special dedicated software out there for LOMAC, if that's what you're asking. Maybe ED will be kind enough to develop that for us one day. Ours is a dedicated server in the sense that it is a co-located computer whose only purpose is to host LOMAC missions.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

Expect FULL REAL settings and tough opponents. A first for a server of this magnitude.

Your server has "Missile Effectiveness" set to maximum. This is NOT full real settings! Not mentioning externals... Just another S77 :(

I was hoping for better...

Your server has "Missile Effectiveness" set to maximum. This is NOT full real settings! Not mentioning externals... Just another S77 :(

I was hoping for better...

Why are you so obsessed about the 'Missile Slider' setting? You have always been against 'Missile Slider' set to maximum since day one.

It is true that the devs mentioned that 'MID' setting is supposed to be closer to real life but does this mean that a server with this setting unplayable to you?

So my question here is does this setting also set missile effectiveness for online play?

If anyone here can clear that up I am sure Vosxod will appreciate it. Thank you.

s77banner9wh.jpg

it is set to 32 players atm.

also to the guys commenting on the server settings (ie externals and missile effectivness) i think you will find we are trying a few different things out, however the aim is to gear it towards full-real settings eventually. your feedback is noted .. thanks!

what would really help the online playability of lomac would be a dedicated software option! lets hope ED are working on this.

cobra_sig01.jpg

Why are you so obsessed about the 'Missile Slider' setting? You have always been against 'Missile Slider' set to maximum since day one.

It is true that the devs mentioned that 'MID' setting is supposed to be closer to real life but does this mean that a server with this setting unplayable to you?

So my question here is does this setting also set missile effectiveness for online play?

If anyone here can clear that up I am sure Vosxod will appreciate it. Thank you.

Yes, you are right developers said MANY times - the ONLY realistic setting for "Missile effectivenes" is middle. If you change this setting and then click on expert preset button - where does slider jump? Right - in the middle! Also developers said that setting works for all missiles - AI or human launched, off-line or on-line - DOES NOT MATTER. Whoever said it does not work on-line does not know the squat. Think logically - it does not make any sence!

Some guy made up a story that having this setting on max is better, that this is most realistic setting and all you ppl blindly believed. Amazing. And what ED says does not matter...

I like to play full reall, no icons, no padlock, full realizm physics. I also like to fine tune my missile evasion manuevers. Such manuevers greately depend on Missile Effectiveness setting - what works for one setting does not work for other. I also like to develop better hit results with my missiles and just same applies - you can get 99% kill in some situation with one setting of effectiveness and it work only 50% in onther... So I said to myself: I'm going to develop my skills with difficulty settings most close to reality. And I do. But LO is not that popular and not many servers/players are on-line, so it really upsets me to see these servers with scrued setting for effectivenes... ;(

We play with missile slider all the way to the right. It might be personal preference. But to us, the missiles are too easy to evade any other way.

As for externals and padlock. The Dedicated server will have them off when it is up and running properly.