FC2 No Afterburner Glow

Matze81

Hi guys!

I noticed that the afterburner in FC2 doesn't illuminate the tail section of the aircraft anymore, like it used to do in 1.12!

Can somebody verify that, or is my LockOn installation screwed up somehow? :huh:

Flares for example do illuminate the aircraft, however.

In fact after some test it seems that they lied to us about one thing ... the re-introduction on the "full" shadows .

If you set shadows to "full" you will not get any lights effect from weapons, afterburner or flares ( even fire ... ).

If you set back shadows to "all planar" like in previous versions you'll get back all of the effect listed above ....

That's a shame , isn't it ?

You guys use other plane models than stock?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

In fact after some test it seems that they lied to us about one thing ... the re-introduction on the "full" shadows .

If you set shadows to "full" you will not get any lights effect from weapons, afterburner or flares ( even fire ... ).

If you set back shadows to "all planar" like in previous versions you'll get back all of the effect listed above ....

That's a shame , isn't it ?

But in 1.12 the afterburner glow also worked with full shadows, didn't it? I pretty sure it did. Curious, that it doesn't work anymore with FC2.

I'm just guessing the game's engine is still very buggy for graphics ... I hope they still read this forum ( ED guys I mean ).

An official answer would be nice, indeed!

Interesting, I did notice the lack of afterburner illumination on your own plane while it's visible on your wingman flying beside you (this using full shadows)?

/KC

I just noticed (also in earlier LockOn versions) that only your own jet has the full shadows while your wingman seems to have only the "all planar" ones. I didn't pay attention to the afterburner yet, but considering what Ozburne said it does make sense.

You: Full shadows, no burner glow

Wingman: All planar shadows, afterburner glow visible

You guys use other plane models than stock?

I use Gys F-15C model. No luck with the burner illumination either!

Like I said in my first post it's not only the afterburner glow that dosen't work.

Just make a quick test for me please :) : turn shadows to "full" then make a quick start with any plane and hit some flares.

My guess is that won't have any light effect on your plane.

On my computer reverting shadows to "all planar" gave me dynamic lights effect back ... but without dynamic shadows ... :(

Actually it seems that you got to make a choice : "full shadow" or "dynamic lights".

But in 1.12 the afterburner glow also worked with full shadows, didn't it? I pretty sure it did. Curious, that it doesn't work anymore with FC2.

You were lucky or you had a video card that was older than 8800 series , cause the full shadow bug came with direct x 9.

The game's engine wasn't supporting shaders of this direct X at this time

Please test with the stock models before blaming ED for the problem. ;)

I can't test this until next week at best, so if someone would be so kind as to compare your modded instal with an install that is reverted to standard that would be nice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

the same is with Black Shark, if i turn on Full Shadows then i have no lighting from flares, pos lights etc.

with shadows on Planar the lighting works fine, but it looks terrible without dynamic shadows :cry:

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic62339_2.gif[/sIGPIC]

AMD Phenom II x4 965 | Gainward GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB | 8GB DDR3-RAM | Win7 64bit | TM Warthog | CH Pro Pedals

Please test with the stock models before blaming ED for the problem. ;)

I can't test this until next week at best, so if someone would be so kind as to compare your modded instal with an install that is reverted to standard that would be nice.

I tested full shadows vs. all planar and also modded install vs. reverted to standard install.

The only thing missing for me, is the afterburner glow! That goes for both, full shadows and all planar!

The illumination effects from flares and weapons seem to work fine!

Attached are some screenshots:

The first shot is from Oxyds Afterburner Mod, showing the glow I mean. The 3 screens after that are with full shadows and a modded install, the following 2 are with all planar shadows and a modded install and the final two are with full shadows and without Mods (removed with ModMan).

Like I said, the lighting effects all work fine except for the burner glow.

Installation info:

- Lock On and Flaming Cliffs 1 installed from retail US Lock On Gold

- patched to version 1.12b

- Flaming Cliffs 2 installed from english download version

Used Mods:

- Gys F-15C model

- Pilot texture mod for Gys F-15C

- F-15C Cockpit Upgrade

- Oxyds Afterburner mod

EtherealN if you'd find the time to look into it next week, we'd appreciate it!

1900174613_OxydsAfterburnerMod.jpg.4c30d105c77d679f36231160e957fcdf.jpg

2037501290_FullShadowsMods01.thumb.jpg.df4646c7f2a177f7399e13f0c2a60e37.jpg

706328772_FullShadowsMods02.thumb.jpg.0d58befad569eedca3643d0088f0094d.jpg

289919717_FullShadowsMods03.thumb.jpg.2a8f55c55b599986662c37777162652d.jpg

1663921557_AllPlanarMods01.thumb.jpg.da73540627f6d8d52925176f2fa69f9c.jpg

381042864_AllPlanarMods02.thumb.jpg.7e69a79b432059edf027a45f70c8253f.jpg

80828563_FullShadowsNoMods01.thumb.jpg.989799782a27bbf8b2cad6d2ae922ce3.jpg

627197769_FullShadowsNoMods02.thumb.jpg.26aa7835dc2019d0eb312a2ea234971d.jpg

Edited by Matze81

Hi Matze81.

Damn you're lucky enough to get both flare and weapon illuminations with full shadow enabled.

Even without mods if I put shadows to full I don't get any lights from those effects ... :(

And when i see your computer's specs I realize that both have an Nvidia gtx 2xx and a 64 bit Windows ...

I made some more test ( drivers , texture filtering in nvidia control panel ... ) and I'm running out of ideas ...

P.S: here's a picture with full shadow enable on my system.

screenshot002ga.th.jpg

Hi Matze81.

Damn you're lucky enough to get both flare and weapon illuminations with full shadow enabled.

Even without mods if I put shadows to full I don't get any lights from those effects ... :(

And when i see your computer's specs I realize that both have an Nvidia gtx 2xx and a 64 bit Windows ...

I made some more test ( drivers , texture filtering in nvidia control panel ... ) and I'm running out of ideas ...

P.S: here's a picture with full shadow enable on my system.

screenshot002ga.th.jpg

Hey Ozburne!

You know what? I'm pretty sure I don't get any effects during daylight either! I assumed that was just how the graphics engine works. I can't remember if those effects worked during daylight in version 1.12.

Anything I posted refered to evening / night ops!

Go ahead and check your lighting effects at night time (if you haven't already)! I'm almost certain they work on your system too!

Please let me know, how burner glow, flares and weapon effects work for you during night missions!

Ok budy , here's the results of my night test :

Every screens were made here with full shadows

1:at the parkbox

screenshot003c.th.jpg

=> Nav lights and landing light are working for me ( but not for my wingmen ...)

2: In the air

screenshot005sj.th.jpg

=> Flares are illuminating the plane ... but not making shadows like they should be in "full shadow" mod + the Nav lights are not glowing , as they do with "all planar" shadow option...

3: AfterBurner test 1

screenshot006k.th.jpg

=> No glow for me either ...

4: AfterBurner test 2

screenshot007xi.th.jpg

=> My wingmen ( AI piloting ) do have PC glow ...

5: Missile test

screenshot008ztw.th.jpg

=> lightning is working .... but even in "full shadow" mod you can't say that the shadows are dynamics one

All I can say is that, expect for the afterburner glow "bug", it seems that during night the game engine isn't using full shadows even if selected in the option screen. That explain why you have "most" of the dynamic lights effect , but not all of them again .

So I guess I was right from the beguining : full shadow + dynamics light = FAIL :music_whistling:

Thanks for the extensive testing! Your results match mine exactly.

I'm not sure if the graphics engine is even capable of providing all the effects simultaneously. I don't think there's gonna be a patch adressing that.

Obviously it's not a critical issue, but worth discussing nonetheless!

I see what you mean Matze but the strange thing is that those effects were working well together when the first lockon was edited ...

I clearly renember having full shadows and dynamic lights both working and making my computer to run like a PowerPoint presentation :P

One thing that just make me "happy" is that the problem is not comming from my computer , that was my very first tought .

at night there are now shadows! so lighting works as is should (can only talk for Black Shark)

if you turn full shadows on and start a mission at night all lighting is correct (flares, nav lights etc. locks fine) but if the sun rises and you got the first shadows from the sun, no lighting more at all!

I made some screenshots to show you what i mean, all are made with FULL SHADOWS ON!!!

before the sun rises, where are no visible shadows: (OPTIONS: FULL SHADOWS ON!)

Nav lights: (you can see the wings glow on the helo)

92709043.th.jpg

Flare lighting: (helo is lighted)

11286424.th.jpg

after sunrise and you got visible shadows (you can see the dynamic shadow on the tail) no aircraft lighting anymore:

Nav lights: (no more lighting on the helo)

91639521.th.jpg

Flare lighting: (helo stays dark)

87856069.th.jpg

in the 1.0.1 version before the patch it has worked fine, dynamic shadows and lighting at the same time :cry:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 | Gainward GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB | 8GB DDR3-RAM | Win7 64bit | TM Warthog | CH Pro Pedals

in the 1.0.1 version before the patch it has worked fine, dynamic shadows and lighting at the same time :cry:

I din't play FC 2.0 before the 1.2.1 patch so I cna't say if it was working well before.

But your test ( thx by the way :thumbup: ) are just adding credits to what i said before : you got to choose between dynamic lights or full shadow at the moment .

I reaaaaaaaaaaaly hope that our beloved editor won't ignore us and try to fix this issue.

If you sure are sure about effects working together before the patch, that could mean that the last patch, wich enabled coop for DCS and FC 2 players, modified something in the game's engine.

@Nickhawk

Thanks for the screenshots. Your results confirm the lighting issue. Also for Black Shark.

@Ozburne

I actually thought that Nickhawk meant the original Lock On, when he mentioned 1.0.1. The same thing you posted before: In the original Lock On Full Shadows and dynamic lighting would work together.

@Nickhawk

Thanks for the screenshots. Your results confirm the lighting issue. Also for Black Shark.

@Ozburne

I actually thought that Nickhawk meant the original Lock On, when he mentioned 1.0.1. The same thing you posted before: In the original Lock On Full Shadows and dynamic lighting would work together.

no i meant DCS: Black Shark 1.0.1

beforce the last patch that combined FC2 and BS the lighting AND dynamic shadows worked fine.

with DCS: Black Shark patched to 1.0.2 it works like described in my pictures, no dynamic shadows and lighting at the same time anymore :(

Edited by Nickhawk