A-10 Manuals and documents collection

This thread provides links for the documents about or connected to Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II. If you wish to add a link, post it as an answer, and it will be added to the first post.

A-10AFlightManualandperformancedata.jpg

A-10A Flight Manual and performance data, another link TO 1A-10A-1 and TO 1A-10A-1-1, original scan. 1988, 570 pages, 330 MB

Flight manual for the Fairchild Republic A-10A Thunderbolt II close air support aircraft. Includes the complete 1A-10-1-1 performance manual. Normal Procedures, Emergency Procedures, Operating Limitations, Flight Characteristics, Adverse Weather Operation, Foldouts, Performance Data.

A-10AFlightManualclean.jpg

A-10A Flight Manual and performance data, cleaned and bookmarked, 1988, 570 pages, 25,7 MB

Flight manual for the Fairchild Republic A-10A Thunderbolt II close air support aircraft. Includes the complete 1A-10-1-1 performance manual. Normal Procedures, Emergency Procedures, Operating Limitations, Flight Characteristics, Adverse Weather Operation, Foldouts, Performance Data. Bookmarks added, text is selectable (although there are many errors due to bad scan)

AOA-10AIRCREWTRAINING.jpg

A/OA-10--AIRCREW TRAINING, AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-2A/OA-10, VOLUME 1. 2006, 86 pages, 1,3 MB

AFI11-2A-OA-10V1 - This volume implements AFPD 11-2, Aircraft Rules and Procedures; AFPD 11-4, Aviation Service; and AFI 11-202V1, Aircrew Training. It establishes the minimum Air Force standards for training and qualifying personnel performing duties in the A/OA-10.

AOA-10AIRCREWEVALUATIONCRITERIA.jpg

A/OA-10--AIRCREW EVALUATION CRITERIA, AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-2A/OA-10, VOLUME 2. 2005, 54 pages, 1,3 MB

AFI11-2A-OA-10V2 - This volume establishes criteria and procedures for A/OA-10 flight evaluations.

AOA-10OPERATIONSPROCEDURES.jpg

A/OA-10--OPERATIONS PROCEDURES, AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-2A/OA-10, VOLUME 3. 2002, 100 pages, 1,4 MB

AFI11-2A-OA-10V3 - This instruction implements AFPD 11-2, Aircraft Rules and Procedures; AFPD 11-4, Aviation Service; and AFI 11-202V3, General Flight Rules.

AIROPERATIONSRULESANDPROCEDURES.jpg

AIR OPERATIONS RULES AND PROCEDURES, AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-214. 2009, 81 pages, 1,1 MB

AFI11-214 - This instruction implements AFPD 11-2, Aircraft Rules and Procedures, and provides rules and procedures for Air-to-Air and Air-to-Surface operations and training.

JointTacticsTechniquesandProcedures.jpg

Joint Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures for Close Air Support (CAS), JP 3-09.3. 2009, 275 pages, 2,2 MB

JP3_09_3 - This publication provides joint doctrine for planning and executing close air support.

A-10AGuide.jpg

A-10A Guide For LOMAC, Strike Fighters: Project 1, Wings Over Europe.Rob "Bunyap" McCray, 2006, 59 pages, 3,9 MB

This game guide draws primarily on information from T.O. 1A-10A-1, the A-10A flight manual.

A-10soverKosovo.jpg

A-10s over Kosovo, Christopher E. Haave and Phil M. Haun, AU Press e-book. 2003, 364 pages, 6,9 MB

The NATO-led Operation Allied Force was fought in 1999 to stop Serb atrocities against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. This war, as noted by the distinguished military historian John Keegan, “marked a real turning point . . . and proved that a war can be won by airpower alone.” Colonels Haave and Haun have organized firsthand accounts of some of the people who provided that airpower—the members of the 40th Expeditionary Operations Group. Their descriptions—a new wingman’s first combat sortie, a support officer's view of a fighter squadron relocation during combat, and a Sandy’s leadership in finding and rescuing a downed F-117 pilot—provide the reader with a legitimate insight into an air war at the tactical level and the airpower that helped convince the Serbian president, Slobodan Milosevic, to capitulate.

A10ThunderboltIIWarthogSystemsEngin.jpg

A10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) Systems Engineering Case Study, David R. Jackques, 2008, 102 pages, 6,7 MB

A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) Systems Engineering Case Study describes the application of systems engineering during the concept formulation, system design and development, production, and operation and sustainment phases of the A-10 program.

Samoljet.jpg

Описание Самолет A-10 (1984 г.), a small book about A-10A for officers of Soviet Army, 1984. In Russian, of course. Link to original djvu file. 30 pages, 9,6 MB (PDF)

NotFadeAway.jpg

Not Fade Away, Airforce Magazine June 2008, 4 pages, 0,2 MB

Magazine article. As the Maryland Guard showed in Iraq, the A-10C is an oldie but goodie.

TheA-10ThunderboltasanorganicArmyas.jpg

The A-10 Thunderbolt as an organic Army asset, Michael R. Riley, 1991, 159 pages, 4,1 MB

This study conclude that the Air Attack Team Regiment, as a part of the corps aviation brigade, is the option that provides the Army with the best utilization of the A-10. The AATR combines the two main elements of a highly successful combat team- attack helicopters (AH-64's) and A-10's- into one organization.

A-10AvionicsSystemArchitecture.jpg

A-10 Avionics System Architecture Trade Analysis (AVSATA) Program, 37 pages, 2,6 MB

Thunderbolts.jpg

Thunderbolts, Checkpoints magazine, March 2010, 4 pages, 0,3 MB

Lt. Col. Millen, ’90, leads A-10 squadron to 10,000 flight hours and 2,500 sorties in 6-month Afghanistan tour.

CSAR.jpg

Combat Search and Rescue in Desert Storm, Col Darrel D. Whitcomb, AU Press e-book. 2006, 325 pages, 11,1 MB

Budgetary, political, and organizational changes left the USAF unprepared for the combat search and rescue (CSAR) mission going into Desert Storm. Colonel Whitcomb relates his and others’ experiences from CSAR in Southeast Asia and examines the organization that was established to provide CSAR services in the Iraq-Kuwait theater of operations. He traces each incident from beginning to end along with the tactical and sometimes strategic implications. Scores of interviews, e-mails, and published works provide a compendium of lessons learned and recommendations gleaned from those who flew the missions and made the decisions in Iraq.

MosquitoestoWolves.jpg

Mosquitoes to Wolves: The Evolution of the Airborne Forward Air Controller, Gary Robert Lester, AU Press e-book. 1997, 296 pages, 1,6 MB

Dr. Lester traces the evolution of US close air support, with special emphasis on Korea and Vietnam. He discusses the differing views of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force at some length and compares close air support in these two conflicts. The author notes the need for close air support in the Gulf War and explores the future of close air support. He punctuates this history and analysis with dramatic experiences of those who made it happen.

Airpower.jpg

Airpower versus a Fielded Force: Misty FACs of Vietnam and A-10 FACs over Kosovo, Phil M. "Goldie" Haun, AU Press e-book. 2004, 92 pages, 2 MB

Lt Col Haun examines two groups of airmen--the Misty forward air controllers (FAC) of Vietnam from 1967 to 1970 and the A-10 FACs over Kosovo in 1999. He compares the tactics used in these two cases in 'which US airpower was required to attack enemy forces independent of friendly ground troops. In the Vietnam War, Air Force O-1 and O-2 FAC began flying visual reconnaissance missions over the southern area of North Vietnam. A comparison of the Misty and A-10 FAC missions clearly demonstrates a failure of the USAF to develop a full range of suitable tactics for the direct attack of enemy fielded forces. Drawing from the lessons of the Misty and A-10 FACs, Colonel Haun's recommendations focus on equipment, tactics and training, and doctrine. Haun warns that airmen should understand there is no silver bullet for the challenge of target identification. No single piece of equipment or advance in technology will solve the problem. Airmen must first develop the proper doctrine and tactics, then take their equipment and trains as realistically as possible. Only then can USAF reach its potential for defeating an enemy army in the field.

ALSB.jpg

Air Land Sea Bulletin 2010-2, Close Air Support, 2010, 32 pages, 3,7 MB

Excellent articles on Close Air Support, most relevant to this topic is "Data Link CAS: Terminology and Application", page 19-24.

Planeinthemiddle.jpg

Plane in the middle: a history of the U.S. Air Force's dedicated close air support plane, Campbell, Douglas Norman, 1999, 621 pages, 51,6 MB

The best close air support plane is not the latest and fastest fighter. It is instead a slower and more durable tactical plane. Air combat history confirms this conclusion, but the mission and its plane's existence rely upon the historical, technological, and procurement outlooks of the two services- the Army and the Air Force-involved in this truly joint mission.

Tactical Radio Operations, Field Manual No. 6-02.53, 2009, 268 pages, 6,3 MB

Overview of radios and radio operations. Short description of all radios used in A-10A and A-10C: (currently modelled in DCSW) AN/ARC-164 Have quick 2, AN/ARC-186 and AN/ARC-210.

The A-10 Thunderbolt II: A FAQ Sheet, 25 pages, 1 MB

Old A-10A "Frequently Asked Questions", written partially by A-10 pilots.

Disclaimer: I no way this thread encourages any criminal activity. All of the linked material is freely available on various internet pages. Links to clearly copyrighted material (scanned commercially available books etc.) will be deleted.

The only exception is A-10A Flight Manual, which is also commercially sold by several vendors in USA and elsewhere (although they cannot claim Copyright, as they state). Legality of providing this document on-line is doubtful, and links will be removed if any complaints are raised.

AU Press website is using the https protocol. Since Firefox doesn't get the specific Security Certificate for that site, it warns the user that it might be Untrusted. Just click on Add the Exception, Add the Certificate and unpick the Permanently Store This Exception and it should work. (Thanks jj_pt). You have to do this only once.

Best regards, Bwaze

Edited by Bwaze
  • Like 10

Thx for posting these Bwaze and Deadman. I wish there was some info on the charlie though.. I guess we'll have to wait until the release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

great post... thx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

If anyone is interested, there is a very detailed document on WikiLeaks about JDAM (GBU-31, GBU-32 and GBU-35) and it's use on F/A-18C/D. 3MB, 166 pages, 2002, draft of the document.

I will not post the link here, since the document is clearly marked as "SECRET", and it is (or rather was) an export controlled document, but I doubt anyone will get into trouble just by downloading it - it has been on WikiLeaks for two years, and Google shows that more than 400 webpages point to it.

WikiLeaks page

You can of course look for it yourselves, it's under the name:

US Air Force JDAM Tactical Manual

I think display menus and some of operation is quite different in A-10C (real and in game) than in this document, but it still gives a wealth of information.

• Like 2
Does anyone else get firefox warnings when trying to get to the A10s Over Kosovo link? It screams malicious but it may be a foreign site too.

Yea i got the security warning too. Anyone else?

That's affirmative. It's because the website is using the https protocol. Since Firefox doesn't get the specific Security Certificate for that site, it warns the user that it might be Untrusted.

Just click on Add the Exception, Add the Certificate and unpick the Permanently Store This Exception and it should work.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Bwaze!! I read the whole flight manual and to my amusement I found I can make sense of everything written. Thanks ED for DCS!!!

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Does anyone else get firefox warnings when trying to get to the A10s Over Kosovo link? It screams malicious but it may be a foreign site too.

Yes, it's just because it's https protocol. I forgot that I added certificate the first time I visited it. I'm not entirely sure why this book is available for free in PDF form, since they also sell it on Amazon, but it's not an illegal copy, you can access it from Air University Press site:

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/catalog/books/Haun_B90.htm

There's tons of other books also available in PDF.

If anyone is interested, there is a very detailed document on WikiLeaks about JDAM (GBU-31, GBU-32 and GBU-35) and it's use on F/A-18C/D. 3MB, 166 pages, 2002, draft of the document.

They needed 166 pages for that? I thought it could be detailed as follows...

1. Take Off

2. Climb to 30k

3. Point nose towards bad guy

4. When you see the blinking symbol, pickle

5. Turn around

6. When you see the airfield (or boat), land

7. Go drink coffee

• Like 1

Added several links to AU Press e-books that are A-10 related (either talk about A-10 or the missions it usually performs). Also added a relatively new article about A-10C active duty in Afghanistan, and expanded descriptions on most links.

Also considering if it would be useful to have links to general military aviation documents, like USAF textbooks for instrumental flying, formation flying handsigns, aircraft operations and movements on the ground, aircraft recognition manual... But it should be separate to A-10 documents.

Interesting read on tactical radios that are in the A-10C AN-ARC 164 Have quick 2, AN-ARC 186, AN-ARC 210

http://files.radioscanner.ru/files/download/file9690/fm6_02x53.pdf

"Our" A-10C has AN-ARC 164 Have quick 2:

anarc164.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=34804&d=1261774963

New AN/ARC-210 secure voice radio stack. I asked Wags about it and was told this would not be implemented- at least not in the first release. With a cost in the billion range, they are in short supply and are not in every A-10 anyway.

I read that all Afghanistan deployed A-10C use AN/ARC-210, in 2006 they had 51 of them, and they rotated them as the aircraft came and went.

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123028880

Clearly these radios are needed to enhance current operations, but the rest of the fleet needs radios to be able to train like they fight, be responsive to air support requests and lower the risk of fratricide or other incidents," said Major Don Henry, ACC A-10 Program Element Monitor here.

Instead, the command rotates its 51 radios among aircraft in the Afghanistan and Iraq Areas of Responsibility including spares and uses another 12 for test jets and for training at the weapons school.

"This rotatable pool of radios we have now is okay, but with all the wear and tear due to frequently moving them from jet to jet, their lives are shortened," said Major Henry. "In a few years, we'll need more radios to replace the 63 we already have, or we can just go ahead and buy enough for all 356 jets and reduce the wear and tear of what we have now."

The current radios the A-10's use work well in non-secure mode, but the current means used for secure capability is aging and is unreliable during extended use. The older technology also creates a high risk to ground support operations that require rapid synchronization during secure communication.

In the three to five seconds that it takes to synchronize secure radios between a transmitting and receiving war fighter, critical links of the "kill chain" must come together. The pilot must gain proper parameters to release a weapon, receives final clearance from a controller and ensures friendly forces are out of harm's way while providing expeditious targeting of hostile forces, according to Major Henry. The extra synchronization time also means the pilot remains exposed to air and ground threats that affect the war fighter's ability to ensure friendly forces are out of harm's way.

"Without clearance to release during this critical window of time, intended kinetic impact points may get positively identified, but the pilot must repeat the attack and be exposed to the threat again -- and possibly miss an opportunity if the pilot does not regain positive identification on a fleeting target," said Major Henry.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know a trusted source to get A-10C manuals? I've noticed most of the PDFs on the first page are for the A. This lead me to believe the A-10C one was hard to find. Indeed, it seems difficult to find. Oddly enough I have manuals from the SR-71, X-15, Super Hornet, and all sorts. But not this one...lol.

I don't care if I need to pay for one as long as the price tag is what you would expect. By the time DCS A-10C is released, I want to have every page, card, form, sheet, and reference to read.

Nerd alert right here!

Edited by 636_Castle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!