DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

There are documents that should tell you what class your load falls into and what the max g load is for that class, but which one is a question for someone else (Eddie?, Paul?) :)

What i can say is that with that loadout you should be driving like you are carrying a carton of raw eggs. That loadout will absolutely cripple your performance, too.

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

How do you know which one should be used? As I said i find no problem when entering a UTM coordinate starting with GG. The problem only occurs when input a coordinate starting with KM

You should read about the Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system.

The following map should roughly illustrate the problem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Utm-zones.jpg

In a nutshell, if JTAC coordinates appear to be waaaay off, you're most probably in the wrong grid.

You should read about the Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system.

The following map should roughly illustrate the problem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Utm-zones.jpg

In a nutshell, if JTAC coordinates appear to be waaaay off, you're most probably in the wrong grid.

I just input the coordinates as given to me by JTAC like KM517450. Do I have to make any alterations to the coordinates?

I just input the coordinates as given to me by JTAC like KM517450. Do I have to make any alterations to the coordinates?

In the CDU, check the line above the MGRS coordinates. It reads something like "38T WG84", doesn't it?

On the CDU, input "37T" and press LSK L3 (the one directly to the left of the above mentioned line) and check that the line changed to "37T WG84". Now the MGRS coordinates from the JTAC should be okay.

And in case I mixed up the grid numbers, exchange "37T" with "38T". That should do the trick. :)

I have a few questions:

1) Are hydra rockets useless at this time? Tried using them, the MK5, but they are very inaccurate and do very little damage or am I doing something wrong?

2) Had a situation when my two gear wheels got up but one stayed down, some kind of damage or malfunction. Is there a way to force it to go up or do I have to land and repair?

3) What are the bomb delivery methods and what A10 can use? I'm talking about something like: toss, dive toss, over the shoulder. Saw a movie on youtube with a guy that used the tossing method with A10. Dive toss I saw used with su27 in flaming cliffs (think A10 can't do a dive toss), but what any other possibilities are there and what can A10 use?

I have a few questions:

1) Are hydra rockets useless at this time? Tried using them, the MK5, but they are very inaccurate and do very little damage or am I doing something wrong?

2) Had a situation when my two gear wheels got up but one stayed down, some kind of damage or malfunction. Is there a way to force it to go up or do I have to land and repair?

3) What are the bomb delivery methods and what A10 can use? I'm talking about something like: toss, dive toss, over the shoulder. Saw a movie on youtube with a guy that used the tossing method with A10. Dive toss I saw used with su27 in flaming cliffs (think A10 can't do a dive toss), but what any other possibilities are there and what can A10 use?

I think some others will be along shortly who know more than I do; however....

1) Hydra rockets are still used, but they are also inaccurate compared to many modern weapons. I've used them a bit in the game and I like them some but they just aren't that handy. I'm sure with practice you and I both will get a little better at employing them but there are just better weapons to hang on the wings.

2) There are various emergency procedures for landing gear failure starting on page 594 of the manual. I won't go into them because they would take up some space and depend a bit on exactly what is going on. But that's probably the best resource on the general subject of landing gear failure.

3) I don't know on that one because I pretty much do high altitude, straight and level bombing with Laser Guided and GPS bombs. I have tried diving with dumb bombs but not with any success at all.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are various emergency procedures for landing gear failure starting on page 594 of the manual.
I read the manual and tere are only procedures that describe what to do when the gear doesent want to come down, mine didnt want to come up :)

Howdy everyone!! I have a quick question,

I've been away form A-10c for a year or so and I just decided to get back into it.

I have the downloaded file 1.1.1.1 (4.5gb) on my hard drive, and I now see that there is a new file 1.2.4.12913_186 (1.05gb) and a patch 1.1.1.0 (1.82gb)?

My question is what exactly do I need to download and install?

(I have the newest DCS Game World thing downloaded last night as I'm assuming this new file needs it)

thanks!!

JimBeamBlack,

Install DCS World, http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ru/downloads/world/dcs_world/

Than install the A-10C Warthog world version, http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ru/downloads/modules/dcs_a10c_warthog/

Hope this helps.

I have noticed when I contact ATC on the radio for engine start, taxi clearance and takeoff permission or a landing, I do not get a response.... (Yes radios are set correctly)

I will however sometimes get a response after the action is complete.

Example: I ask to taxi, no response. I start my taxi, I get taxi clearance.

I request landing permission a few miles out, no response. I'm on final, I get cleared for landing.

Anyone else see this?

I have noticed when I contact ATC on the radio for engine start, taxi clearance and takeoff permission or a landing, I do not get a response.... (Yes radios are set correctly)

I request landing permission a few miles out, no response. I'm on final, I get cleared for landing.

Anyone else see this?

Yeah, this is how it works for me too. It seems ATC gets triggered at certain points.

Significant improvements to ATC are said to be coming in the 1.2.5 patch...

ATC Improvements

We acknowledge that the air traffic control environment needs improvement. One near-term effort to address this is a number of improvements to the ATC and takeoff and landing procedures. We plan to release these in DCS version 1.2.5.

- Establish orbit zones with fixed positions several km from the end of the runway.

- We have increased the landing rates.

- Aircraft taking off will now have a higher priority than landing aircraft.

- Out of fuel and damaged landing aircraft will have the highest priority.

Further ATC improvements will continue.

Not sure if this will address the said issue though.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Anyone else see this?

Setting the frequency is not everything, you also need to use the correct radio. For the VHF AM radio, you have to bring up the radio menu with RAlt+Numpad+

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone else see this?

Are you pressing "load" on the VHF AM panel once you've set the correct frequency, and is your setting set to "manual"? Also, are you pressing right alt and numpad +?

I have not tried it yet but are we able to destroy a runway?

Can I bomb an enemy runway to prevent them from launching aircraft?

Or will the bomb explode without any damage?

EDIT:

I tested this, No visual damage other than a small blackish circle left at the impact.

But when you taxi over the impact spot the aircraft will act as if it is going over a large speed bump.

Edited by Mike Busutil

1) Whats the proper way to lock on to targets with a Maverick? I have trouble slewing on to a tank, as the sensor is not stabilized. If the tank is SPI, set from a TGP point track, slaving the mav doesn't establish a lock. My wingman (AI) fired two mavs in one pass, so I'm hoping there's a way.

2) Coming from a F-18 sim, I feel a little blind without a radar. In the hog, is your best sensor the mark-1 eyeball? I haven't flown many missions with a JTAC; is that how we get our targets?

3) Num0 + Num# has views for MFDs, panels, HUD. Is there a way to have this view toggled, rather than needing to hold Num0?

I am enjoying my first steps into this sim, and am considering joining an outfit. I can't say if I will be flying regularly in a few months, but if someone is recruiting?...

PS: slap me and say that TrackIR and X52pro are worth it.

Edited by AdroitCobra

1) Whats the proper way to lock on to targets with a Maverick? I have trouble slewing on to a tank, as the sensor is not stabilized. If the tank is SPI, set from a TGP point track, slaving the mav doesn't establish a lock. My wingman (AI) fired two mavs in one pass, so I'm hoping there's a way.

Try ground-stabilizing the Mav by pressing TMS down short (the Mav needs to be SOI). This will make it look at a certain point on the ground without moving. Now you can slew it around much easier. You also may wanna try to mess around with the slew speeds. Some guys like it faster, some like it slower.

With a bit of practice and a proper HOTAS you can easily fire up to six Mavs in a single run. Not that six Mavs would be a realistic loadout, but it can be done nevertheless.

2) Coming from a F-18 sim, I feel a little blind without a radar. In the hog, is your best sensor the mark-1 eyeball? I haven't flown many missions with a JTAC; is that how we get our targets?
There are a lot of ways of finding targets: Eyeballs, your TGP, JTAC, other flights, groundtroops begging for help...

Situational awareness is the name of the game. When driving an A-10 you need to know the battlefield by heart. Once you have a general idea of where the enemy might lurk, use the magic that is the TGP and hunt them down. Try to search in a methodical pattern, don´t just go all over the place, looking here and there and then back here again.

Moving convoys are easy to spot, they stick out like a sore thumb when travelling on roads, and when travelling offroad they usually create a lot of dust. Units in hiding are harder to make out, but just ask yourself "if I were a tank in this town, where would I hide?" and look that place up with your TGP. More often than not you´re actually lucky, and once you find one tank you know there are more around in close distance.

If all else fails there´s of course always the option of "Recon by fire"... :D

It takes quite a while to find targets when you are new at this, don´t let that discourage you. After some time it will just magically come together all of a sudden and you will ask yourself why you ever had problems with it. Practice, practice, practice!

3) Num0 + Num# has views for MFDs, panels, HUD. Is there a way to have this view toggled, rather than needing to hold Num0?
Sorry, can´t help you here since I use TrackIR

PS: slap me and say that TrackIR and X52pro are worth it.
Can´t speak for the X52pro in particular since I don´t own it, but a good HOTAS is very helpful when flying the A-10. Most guys seem to be pretty happy with their X52s. I hate to sound like a fanboy, but personally, I just love my TM Warthog HOTAS more than any other piece of hardware I own. Most amazing stick and throttle I ever had, but of course that kind of quality comes with a corresponding price tag.

As for the TrackIR... you haven´t lived until you used it. Some time ago mine broke and I stopped simming altogether until the replacement arrived. I just couldn´t fly without it. No way. I sure as hell tried, but... meh.

The TrackIR is one of those things you look at after you have gotten used to it, thinking "how in the world did I ever fly without it?"

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

I think RightCtrl+Num0 will enable the snapview mode, and then if you press one of the Num keys it'll go to that view and stay on it. Hit Num0 again to disable.

I think RightCtrl+Num0 will enable the snapview mode, and then if you press one of the Num keys it'll go to that view and stay on it. Hit Num0 again to disable.

Thats how it used to be ... but doesn't work anymore (for me) - can anyone confirm this?

No

Sure? I am no expert, but I changed the coords of a markpoint with the CDU. Actually I made an error: I created a new markpoint in the CDU but put the coords just as the markpoint name. After that, I just re-entered the grid coords and changed the coord data for the just created markpoint.

Maybe you had "can I delete or overwrite a markpoint" in mind?

To your original no. 1 question: did you TMS up-short after slewing the MAV cursor to the SPI?

You may need several short ticks up to establish a lock.

Slew to SPI is only putting the sensor(s) where the SPI is. It does not lock a target.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Is it possible to change the coordinates of a markpoint?

No

Yes it certainly is.

You can edit a mark point manually to your hearts content. Including name and coordinates. What you can't do it delete one once created. Of course, there aren't really any situations where you'd need to edit the coords of a mark point, but that's by the by.

If you're wanting to store a target and then refine and/or update it, normally you'd copy the mark point to a way point first. Likewise with a broadcast SPI or SADL tasking. The reason being that mark points can be overwritten automatically, way points cannot. Way points also provide more available parameters than mark points, although not anything that would be used in the context of target engagement.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL