DCS: A-10C Warthog signature banners?

I thought it might be wise of DCS and TFC to make signature banners, similar to how VRS did theirs. Example in the link below (look at the OP's signature).

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3953

I thought it may help boost sales, and spread the general joy of the DCS series to more people. Also, it would just be cool to have. Maybe have one saying something like "If at first you dont succeed, call in the 'hogs.". Cheesy I guess, but its just an example. Also note that if you click on the banner it takes you to the VRS homepage. Also, note how he got his banner by purchasing the actual product. I thought that was a good idea too.

I know how busy you guys are on finishing the actual product, but if you have time, it would be much appreciated. I would gladly wear it around other forums I use!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Note: It's not "of DCS and TFC". DCS is the product name. ED/Eagle Dynamics is the developer.

But anyhow, you can always make some and share them. I have one already though. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Note: It's not "of DCS and TFC". DCS is the product name. ED/Eagle Dynamics is the developer.

But anyhow, you can always make some and share them. I have one already though. :D

Quick question, how did you even get on the testing team? Im assuming they asked you, but were you once a pilot for somed armed force, or are you good at programming, or do you just share the love of a great sim like the rest of us?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

The question of "how" - I was invited.

As for my background, it's mixed. ;)

Nothing overly dramatic though.

But seriously though, I don't think we really need a specific set of official DCS:A10C pics. Plenty of talented artists in the community, and if you want some to "spread the love" you can see if you can find some that have some free time. But that said, I don't know - might be some official ones coming (there were DCS:BS sigs made, as you may have seen), but I'm not sure about when/if since there's a lot of other things that need doing as well.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The question of "how" - I was invited.

As for my background, it's mixed. ;)

Nothing overly dramatic though.

But seriously though, I don't think we really need a specific set of official DCS:A10C pics. Plenty of talented artists in the community, and if you want some to "spread the love" you can see if you can find some that have some free time. But that said, I don't know - might be some official ones coming (there were DCS:BS sigs made, as you may have seen), but I'm not sure about when/if since there's a lot of other things that need doing as well.

Ha ya I think I will give it a try. One quick thing though. The image size limit seems a bit small. Is there any chance ED or its moderators can maybe rethink that limit and consider increasing it? I mean, if people start abusing by posting big pictures of not so appropriate things, then I can understand the limit. But this community seems responsible enough. Of course, there may be other reasons for the limitation that I am not aware of, so I dont want to come off sounding ignorant.

Ha ya I think I will give it a try. One quick thing though. The image size limit seems a bit small. Is there any chance ED or its moderators can maybe rethink that limit and consider increasing it? I mean, if people start abusing by posting big pictures of not so appropriate things, then I can understand the limit. But this community seems responsible enough. Of course, there may be other reasons for the limitation that I am not aware of, so I dont want to come off sounding ignorant.

The limitation is due to the fact that this forum is also read by people who don't have a fency and speedy internet connection. There's no need to hammer their limited bandwidth with (for them) useless pictures. Besides that you can upload the pictures to ED's server. Of course they're putting up a reasonable limitation as well.

After all, it's just a signature, not a poster.

For DCS: BS they released an animated banner "Ka-50 Pilot" in different versions:

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB08.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB09.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB12.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB13.gif

These and more files are available for linking on the files -> misc list:

Link

If you'd like to have a signature, feel free to drop me a PM with an idea or concept and I'll try to send you a few suggestions ASAP.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

The limitation is due to the fact that this forum is also read by people who don't have a fency and speedy internet connection. There's no need to hammer their limited bandwidth with (for them) useless pictures. Besides that you can upload the pictures to ED's server. Of course they're putting up a reasonable limitation as well.

After all, it's just a signature, not a poster.

For DCS: BS they released an animated banner "Ka-50 Pilot" in different versions:

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB08.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB09.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB12.gif

DCS_Ka-50_Pilot_UB13.gif

These and more files are available for linking on the files -> misc list:

Link

If you'd like to have a signature, feel free to drop me a PM with an idea or concept and I'll try to send you a few suggestions ASAP.

how is your sig pic so big?? I thought there was a size (litteraly, not file size) limit?

how is your sig pic so big?? I thought there was a size (litteraly, not file size) limit?

There is:

2) SIGNATURE AND AVATAR RULES:

2.1. - Signatures may include images and/or text. If using images, use the Control Panel to upload the image to the forum for hosting and make sure it does not exceed the stated limitations of 500x100x20KB. There is no linking to 3'rd party servers for signature image hosting.

2.3. - Maximum signature height is 6 text lines. Take 20 px height of a picture as one text line. So a signature with 100 px height picture can have one text line below or above the picture.

That said - Feurfalke's sig complies with above.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my first effort

footerrg.jpg

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

There is:

That said - Feurfalke's sig complies with above.

Upon inspection of Feurfalkes sig, it looks as though his sig goes above the specs outlined in your post.

It says that his sig picture is 500px X 100px X 48.68kb (49,852bytes)

larger than 20kb.

So firefox says, is that only for moderators/ed testers or is it allowed for everyone ?

OK - debating on the size of members' sigs is beginning to get a tad 'fruity', so this shall be my last submission:

Navigate to your User CP/Edit Signature tab and you'll see the following:

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 1,000.0 KB (whichever is smaller).

The forum rule quoted by me has not been edited to accord with the new forum structure when updated all that time ago. I unfortunately neglected to add same in my original post, which has now led to the confusion.

In conclusion and as originally stated, nothing wrong with Feurfalke's sig ;)

Upon inspection of Feurfalkes sig, it looks as though his sig goes above the specs outlined in your post.

It says that his sig picture is 500px X 100px X 48.68kb (49,852bytes)

larger than 20kb.

So firefox says, is that only for moderators/ed testers or is it allowed for everyone ?

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dude, it was only a question, no need to go all 'fruity' on me.

The reason I asked in the first place was because I was trying to put a sig on another website about 1-2 weeks ago which had larger than 20kb limit and, i knew by the looks of feurfalkes sig that it was way over 20kb.

I havent even looked at the user cp/sig page for size limits, I just took it as said by you that 20kb was infact the limit.

Hence me asking the question if the larger size was allowed for mod's/testers.

;)

Hence me asking the question if the larger size was allowed for mod's/testers.

Why don't you answer the question for us. I cannot as my profile might conceivably be different. What does your limit state?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isn't it possible to upload picture to another site (imageshack.us or similar) and then put link in signature with IMG tags?

Then, there shouldn't be any restriction (maybe dimensions stay)...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick note:

If you feel there is anything questionable about any siganture, be it picture or otherwise, please just contact a moderator rather than debate it too much. I can see this thing derailing. :P

Generally speaking though, my opinion is this: there's nothing intrinsically "bad" with oversize pictures. The limits are there to ensure that everyone get smooth usage of the forums no matter what bandwidth they have. If you feel someone's use of pictures in posts or signature pictures causes issues, please feel free to PM me and I'll decide if I want to emulate Conan. :)

With that, let's get back to the specific topic of A10C sig pics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Isn't it possible to upload picture to another site (imageshack.us or similar) and then put link in signature with IMG tags?

Then, there shouldn't be any restriction (maybe dimensions stay)...

The underlying forum technology does allow this, however this is (or should be, at least) disabled to make it easier to ensure a smooth forum experience for everyone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

EvilBivol, How come everyone has different sizes ? we range from 20kb to 100kb to a 1000kb

Is it meant to be like that, or is it a case of something wrong somewhere in the forum software ? or has the scripting gone awry somewhere along the line and not updated all the user accounts when the forum got updated ? or is it just a case of, testers get the larger size, the rest get 100kb and the admin hasnt bothered to update his own account and is stuck at 20kb :)

Just to add, I see no problem with any of the sig's, I am just curious about the different sizes thats all.

Edited by bumfire

Bumfire, I'll look into that. It might be a case of deprecated settings I guess and I'll ask around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Cheers EtherealN ;)

I was just curious why all different sizes, as the forum I admin on had a similar problem a while back, and it was due to upgrading to a new version of VB, messed up all the user accounts and a whole pile of other things and to this day we are still re-configuring accounts that have slight problems that get brought to our attention.

Its no biggie though, as I said, I was more curious than anything ;)

• 10 years later...

I just learned how to create the banner used here. I don't understand why there is spacing below it. - can anyone help me with removing the empty space below the banner?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh there are no fighter pilots down in hell,

The place is full of queers, navigators, bombardiers,

but there are no fighter pilots down in hell!