Laser Maverick for A-10C ?

greg765

A lot has been mentioned about JDAM's, and fire-and-forget being preferential, but isn't the capability to call off the strike important too?

My thoughts were that this is why LGB's are still being used, if something happens while the ordnance is in the air there is the option of slewing the cursors away.

Ironically I bet following the release of the A-10 module in DCS the 65-E becomes the preferred variant.. Hehehe..

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

Well, the capability to call off a strike is nice to have, but if the organization has worked properly then that need would not arise. For example, most cases where this has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan with the A10 specifically it's been a wholly different kind of "fire-and-forget" that's the bandit: the GAU-8. In the kind of irregular/COIN warfare where this might be an issue the nature of the battlefield has already made the cannon the main weapon unless the target is a tunnel, a bunker or a building, in which case the LGB is available.

I think it's one of those capabilities that mission planners might like to have, but the proper way to handle the issue that they would solve would be to improve your information pipeline. Using laser-Mavs and such specifically for this purpose would at best be a stop-gap while implementing the "real" solution.

As far as I see it the real advantage to the laser-Mav is, as some have noticed, the ability for other elements (ground troopers or a GlobalHawk) on the battlefield to do the guidance from concealment or great range and let the aircraft just be a delivery truck. The issue of using laser-mavs specifically to let ground forces tell the A10 where the target is seems silly - this is easily achieved anyhow: point laser at target, A10 (or F16, F18 etc, basically any pod-equipped plane) pilot sets pod to search mode, pod finds and stabilizes on target, and the pilot can then prosecute the target with any weapon he desires.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

My thoughts were that this is why LGB's are still being used, if something happens while the ordnance is in the air there is the option of slewing the cursors away.

It's more than fact that JDAMs an other GPS/INS guided weapons cannot accurately hit moving targets. But the fact that laser guided weapons can be aborted after launch is a desirable side effect or their guidance system.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 2 months later...

One of the last weapons equipped on the A-10Cs just prior to their deployment was the laser Maverick air-to-ground missile—the AGM-65E

I guess that's a hint... But:

in late 2007 A-10s needed a quick fix for a problem in theater. Commanders needed a reliable weapon that could track and hit moving targets such as insurgent vehicles.

So WE could get it as a "quick fix" as well ;)!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

The aircraft flies mostly CAS missions, has a pave penny strapped to it, seems like it was basically built to fire laser mavericks using friendly ground designators...

SPECS: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.2 Ghz +turboboost enabled, 12 GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500 Mhz, ATI Radeon 5850, TrackIR 5, X52 Pro and Saitek pedals

Pfffffft. :doh::)

Oh come on Sobek, I know there is the "precious development time" issue and there are other laser-guided munitions in the arsenal, but at least admit that the 65E is a very cool piece of kit (especially wrt coop potential).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

There is more to this one than precious dev time.

Oh come on Sobek, I know there is the "precious development time" issue and there are other laser-guided munitions in the arsenal, but at least admit that the 65E is a very cool piece of kit (especially wrt coop potential).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Enlighten me please...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Understood, that's clear then military restrictions + ED's fidelity standards. It's a pity, but no problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Sure i'll admit that, anytime. That comment was just a reaction to your 'quick fix'. ;)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well, Eddie: "can use" or "does use"? We definitely want all the weapons that the Charlie does use, but I'd expect the list of weapons that it can use to include a lot of legacy stuff that no-one actually wants to use IRL with that aircraft.

Change that to a does use. Common tactics are forward controllers painting targets with lasers for either JDAM or Mav's I know for a fact that the E is flown.

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyhow.... one significant advantage of a laser guided missile is that there's an option to have it guide to the target by means of a ground based laser.

This means that the pilot does not have to know exactly where the target is located as he will be lead to it by the laser reflection, this should equal more accurate ground support and less time for locking up and engaging the target.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Anyhow.... one significant advantage of a laser guided missile is that there's an option to have it guide to the target by means of a ground based laser.

This means that the pilot does not have to know exactly where the target is located as he will be lead to it by the laser reflection, this should equal more accurate ground support and less time for locking up and engaging the target.

Can be done with the pod just as well.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Um, that isn't really a huge advantage at this point IMHO, since you can set the pod to LSS and pick up the target yourself from that laser, or do the same with an LGB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I've got a slightly unrelated question, but why start a new thread, so here goes; Can any of the mavericks be manually guided with the sensor in the missile. That is to say, can we display the video feed from the missile to an MFCD and actually guide the missile to the target manually.

Not sure if this is possible In reality...

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer