I just discovered X-Plane 9

Rodney

Wow is all I can say. The graphics are 20% better than what's on Flight Sim and at it's highest settings runs silky smooth on my aging computer because it uses OpenGL instead of DirectX. The physics model on X-Plane, planes seem to be a little more realistic although the planes in FSX are pretty good too.

The only advantage Flight Sim X has over X-Plane are the add-ons available for FSX. I'm considering purchasing Real Environment Xtreme for X-Plane. I have REX for FSX and it makes FSX more pleasing to the eyes.

I started this thread because I never gave X-Plane a chance and now i'm glad I did. :thumbup:

I have tried to get into X-Plane more than once, I bought XP 8 when it came out, and then later XP 9. But I still cant find out what it is that people like about this sim...

For me it's the graphics, they look so much better than anything on FSX and runs Ultra-Smooth on aging hardware. They also give you scenery for the entire Globe. The planes feel so nice to fly. It's really customizable, you can create your own planes. Then there's the Professional Edition that's certified by the FAA.

Honestly, I only bought X-Plane when it dropped to $30. I still love FSX but X-Plane is also very enjoyable. :pilotfly:

Im guessing that if you have a low end pc then X-Plane probably looks better than FSX, but on a high end pc I would say that X-Plane looks very dated, at least compared to FSX. There are some things in X-Plane that look okay, like the water (still its far from what you get in FSX with REX, but it looks decent), but overall I would say the graphics are on par with FS2002. But if you like it thats great, Im just trying to figure out what it is that draws people to X-Plane ;)

What people like about X-Plane? The flight-model, mostly. And the included FMS - no need for payware, or hacking any aircraft.cfg, though not every cockpit/aircraft come with one. Most of the rest is really just personal preference - I much prefer its lighting bells and whistlies, and visibility, over FSX's, for example. But that's me.

REX2 is available for X-plane - that makes the sky look as good as FSX (and better than stock FSX).

The payware aircraft on x-plane are at least as good as FSX.

The terrain on x-plane is worse than FSX screenshots but FSX is actually unusable with terrain set to the level shown in the screenshots. There is some payware terrain for x-plane that is good, but there is more out there for FSX. Fortunately, x-plane has an equiavalent of TileProxy called G2XPL, check out this x-plane+g2xpl slideshow (terrain over Switzerland)

spacer.png

x-plane has better scenery than LockOn.

The flight model of x-plane is better than FSX IMHO (and better than LockOn) but all of them suck badly for low-speed/post-stall modeling. The helicopter flight model beats everything except BlackShark.

x-plane runs on Windows, Mac and Linux - and better on lower spec hardware than FSX.

The best thing about x-plane is it is still in development. The FlightSimulator series is currently in limbo. There have been some vapourware press releases from Cascade Game Foundry http://www.cascadegamefoundry.com/ about keeping the Flight Sim series alive. It would be great if they do, but I know if they own the rights and trademark and sorting that out might take a while (just look at Eagle Dynamics and Ubisoft for an example of a complicated divorce). So in the meantime, "diss"-ing x-plane doesn't make much sense to me as that is the most likely future direction of civilian flight sims.

I started this thread because I never gave X-Plane a chance and now i'm glad I did. :thumbup:

Check my BK 117 screenies from X-plane :)

http://www.51st.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2773

I love X-plane for this addon and for experimenting and stuff. Grab some good fighter model, and grab the XFCS plug-in. It's great to fly fastmovers with that.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I saw a video on youtube about an boing 757 stalling on approach, to me it look pretty accurate but is that the case for the of the stock models? x-plane sky look to dark to me is that fixable?

I have fsx an tried the x-plane demo to compare both on my mac and this are my conclusions:

fsx looks better in stock form than x-plane

environment looks too dark on x-plane

xplane has a more fluid flight model in stock form (no addons)

xplane comes with all the tools to make your own airplane

xplane instruments are more fluid also

stock airplanes on fsx look way better than stock models on xplane

stock airplanes in both don't reproduce low speed high alpha characteristic close to the real airplanes. (disappointing to find that xplane has problems with that)

ground model is to plain in fsx you barely feel like you landed an airplane , no vibrations, shaking, blown tires nothing!

To conclude fsx initially; looks like it is a better sim but once you go deeper you start to see its limitations in stock form. X-plane you need to dig deeper into it to start see its advantages over fsx. My dream sim would be a sim with just 3 airplane models. This models should come with super accurate flight and 3d models, 3d cockpit. The environment should use all the strong points from fsx and x-plane. This sim should come with a model making tools like x-plane. It shoud come with missions that reproduce real life pilot experiences; something like a career mode.

The problem with XPlane is that there is foxtrot alpha for hardcore jet add-ons on a par with the likes of LevelD or PMDG.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

i don't have X-plane 9 myself unfortunatly i would say . i add to make choices and you see money doesn't grow up onto trees in my country but i don't regret my choices .

this been said i have X-plane 8 and FS9 and i enjoy X-plane much more than FS9 . what's fun with FS it's that there is a huge community where everyone creates it's own local airport for the game ; but paradoxally that's what made me slowly abandon FS9 that i enjoyed a lot at the beginning . because going to AVSIM (which is a great site) everyday with the scaring of missing THE addon became to give me headheaches and finally i decided to stop it all . i believe that very enthusiats aviation dudes could enjoy such "thing" but searching (every day) for addons , downloading them , running all the utilities to suppress the duplicate files slowly turned my pleasure into a test . and FS without addons isn't of any interest

on a pure flight level , if the planes ( v8 ) are a bit less beautiful than FS but they are much more fun to fly , FS devellopers themselves say that FS isn't a pure flight simulator . and v8 land graphics are very nice , very eye candy and seems v9 are even better

i won't spit on FS cause i remember i had very nice moments with that game like for example when i took of with my project Fokker 70 from Portugal for a flight over the Mediterranean or trying to reach the Galapagos with my Short Sunderland with an all gliding landing beacause of being out of gas , but i still prefer X-plane more realistic more fun too . i don't talk about X-plane 9 or FSX but globally

Edited by jpm1

i don't have X-plane 9 myself unfortunatly i would say . i add to make choices and you see money doesn't grow up onto trees in my country but i don't regret my choices .

this been said i have X-plane 8 and FS9 and i enjoy X-plane much more than FS9 . what's fun with FS it's that there is a huge community where everyone creates it's own local airport for the game ; but paradoxally that's what made me slowly abandon FS9 that i enjoyed a lot at the beginning . because going to AVSIM (which is a great site) everyday with the scaring of missing THE addon became to give me headheaches and finally i decided to stop it all . i believe that very enthusiats aviation dudes could enjoy such "thing" but searching (every day) for addons , downloading them , running all the utilities to suppress the duplicate files slowly turned my pleasure into a test . and FS without addons isn't of any interest

on a pure flight level , if the planes ( v8 ) are a bit less beautiful than FS but they are much more fun to fly , FS devellopers themselves say that FS isn't a pure flight simulator . and v8 land graphics are very nice , very eye candy and seems v9 are even better

i won't spit on FS cause i remember i had very nice moments with that game like for example when i took of with my project Fokker 70 from Portugal for a flight over the Mediterranean or trying to reach the Galapagos with my Short Sunderland with an all gliding landing beacause of being out of gas , but i still prefer X-plane more realistic more fun too . i don't talk about X-plane 9 or FSX but globally

Thanks for sharing your memorable flight sim moments. :)

http://xplane10.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/gorans-interview-final-2.pdf

Interview with Goran Matovina, who is developing B747 for X-Plane. Some screenshots inside ;) I own the Becchcraft Sundowner he made, and with such high quality it presents, I'm confident that his 747 will turn the sim world upside down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Originally Posted by Death-17

Any yahoo can fly fixed, it takes skill to fly rotor.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be a great non-combat alternative to DCS and a natural alternative to FSX but only after it/the addon makers deal with the FM issue (it's more addon makers' fault like I said) I described here http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=46060&st=0

I posted a lot of video links in this post http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168568#p168568 which all prove that X-Plane evolves and things are getting better when it comes to X-Plane itself and the addon makers market (payware)

i don't have X-plane 9 myself unfortunatly i would say . i add to make choices and you see money doesn't grow up onto trees in my country but i don't regret my choices.
Hi jpm1, I bought my copy of x-plane 9 for 20 euros WITHOUT shipping cost from xplane.org. I don't know if they have that promotion active right now, but anyway I regularly receive mails about that promotion being about to finish.

Being patient you can save a lot of money because sooner or later you can find copies for a lot less than the original price.

And yes, x-plane 9 includes a new set of features that has rised the quality of add-on planes to a completely new level.

By the way, I don't think that the reason for the smooth graphics is the use of opengl. If so, what are doing all that people developing with direct3d?

I have xplane 9 and FSX

I haven't used either extensively, but noticed that if both are just standard installs then xplane tends to looks a tad better scenery wise and run smoother.

FSX outstrips xplane 9 when you use addons for scenery and stuff... but you need to fine tune settings for a smooth run.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

FSX outstrips xplane 9 when you use addons for scenery and stuff... but you need to fine tune settings for a smooth run.

In terms of quantity, yes, and in terms of quality, things are quickly changing, as X-Plane's world isn't sleeping:

http://x-aviation.com/previews/screenshot_238.png

http://x-aviation.com/previews/screenshot_239.png

http://x-aviation.com/previews/screenshot_241.png

It's a preview of upcoming Oahu scenery for X-Plane, made by RealScenery. Some other States are available now, with more to come.

Edited by liotczik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Originally Posted by Death-17

Any yahoo can fly fixed, it takes skill to fly rotor.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi jpm1, I bought my copy of x-plane 9 for 20 euros WITHOUT shipping cost from xplane.org. I don't know if they have that promotion active right now, but anyway I regularly receive mails about that promotion being about to finish.

Being patient you can save a lot of money because sooner or later you can find copies for a lot less than the original price.

And yes, x-plane 9 includes a new set of features that has rised the quality of add-on planes to a completely new level.

By the way, I don't think that the reason for the smooth graphics is the use of opengl. If so, what are doing all that people developing with direct3d?

yeh , i'm seriously thinking of getting X-plane 9 , but i'll upgrade my rig first to be able to play the game in nice conditions . right now i'm selling parts of my old rig .. and it sells quite well , 70E for a 4400+ socket 939 it's not so bad . i'm thinking of getting the HP p6345.fr with which i'll be able to play games in good conditions and which is perfect for future upgrades . 10E here , 30E there , i think it shouldn't last long sourire1.gif

Cheers

yeh , i'm seriously thinking of getting X-plane 9 , but i'll upgrade my rig first to be able to play the game in nice conditions . right now i'm selling parts of my old rig .. and it sells quite well , 70E for a 4400+ socket 939 it's not so bad . i'm thinking of getting the HP p6345.fr with which i'll be able to play games in good conditions and which is perfect for future upgrades . 10E here , 30E there , i think it shouldn't last long sourire1.gif

Cheers

I have a low end rig by today's standards E6750 CPU, 9800GTX+ and I can play and enjoy X-Plane on high settings. :)

• 3 weeks later...