My graphics.

Sel94

Thanks you so much people. You all are awsome. So now let's work on my processor! No, just kidding but for future reference would anybody recommend replacing it (I heard that it's hard) or buying a whole new computer? 2.6 Ghz is appearently not a lot for modern gaming. Good graphics cards can only cover it up for so long. And once again thanks for everybodys help.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks you so much people. You all are awsome. So now let's work on my processor! No, just kidding but for future reference would anybody recommend replacing it (I heard that it's hard) or buying a whole new computer? 2.6 Ghz is appearently not a lot for modern gaming. Good graphics cards can only cover it up for so long. And once again thanks for everybodys help.

Well now you've done it.:D.Let me just say that 2.8 or 2.6 or what ever really depends on how the CPU handles information(single core,dual,quad).So here we go. Well let me just say there are agian two companies Intel and AMD. I think we are in the same situation, some people love Intel CPU's and some AMD. For the Intel, I can tell you that maybe you should look at the I5 or I7 series of Cpu's. I don't have a clue on the AMD CPU's, I have never used one at all. This will change your motherboard most likely but don't hold me to that. When you are looking to replace what you are looking at, I think most people take the leap and make the big upgrade, CPU,GPU,motherboard and ram, then look at what components of the old system could work such as PSU, case fans even the old case. It is a slim possibility but you could be looking at a case change as well. For a CPU change you would have to check your motherboard and see if it is compatible with what you are looking for. This is getting into the real technical side of things as everything now has to be paired together.

Hope someone with more technical experience can jump in here. Can you post exactly what is in you system. model of motherboard, you current CPU, your ram(how much and what type ddr2 ddr3), what operating system(xp, windows 7 and either 32 bit or 64). what monitor are you using and at what resolution(1024x768,1280x1024) 60hz or what ever. All this info is need to give you any advise on a CPU. Well maybe not all but most. the more we know the easier it will be to give you some good advise.;)

Edited by rattler

Can you post exactly what is in you system. model of motherboard, you current CPU, your ram(how much and what type ddr2 ddr3), what operating system(xp, windows 7 and either 32 bit or 64). what monitor are you using and at what resolution(1024x768,1280x1024) 60hz or what ever. All this info is need to give you any advise on a CPU. Well maybe not all but most. the more we know the easier it will be to give you some good advise.;)

He already did: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=920770&postcount=46

Sel,

My own opinion would be that your CPU is probably quite allright. With a new graphics card it will become the next "bottleneck" - but even my 4GHz system is bottlenecked there. As long as you have an acceptable graphics card it'll pretty much always be the CPU that "limits" you. For FC2 I think your CPU should be quite allright as it is though.

You could upgrade it, but if you are not technical I am not sure I would recommend it since swapping CPU's is a relatively involved process compared to swapping graphics cards or PSU's. Also, if you at some point decide to take the plunge for a new CPU I'd recommend doing so together with a good motherboard. For now you should be fine though.

As for the whole Intel vs AMD thing here, the currently dominant player is Intel with (generally speaking) somewhat higher performance and lower wattage, but often as much as double the pricetag for equal performance. Also, selecting Intel would make you really have to switch motherboard since yours is an AMD system. Again though, in my opinion it's not worth your effort or money at this time, though I'd definitely recommend setting up a little savings account for the time when you do decide that a new computer will be required. Most likely said new computer could be purchased without a graphics card and allow you to reuse the one you purchase now or soon. If the balance remains as it is now, I'd say stay with AMD. The added performance of Intel really is only worth the higher expense (most of the time the motherboards are also more expensive for Intel, though there are cheap ones available there too) if you consider yourself an enthusiast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yes, you are alright with your present CPU. For the future you will need to take a jump up. Your ram is ddr2,fine, when and if you jump ddr3 triple channel or what is recommended at the time, but again I no nothing of AMD and it's requrements. When you jump next time it will be a big leap, so be prepared. I would say the only thing you will bring with you is your new PSU if you do upgrade to that and your New GPU if you purchase this as well at present. Some of the rest will be questionable. Your case maybe alright but as I said that may have to change as well. If you want to play these flight sims. then it will cost, simple as that. That is regardless if you stick with AMD or go with an Intel system.

I would suggest you get on the internet and look at the gaming computers for both Companies. You don't have to be at the top but you should be well in the middle. Research is the key. Take time to way PROs and CONs. Remember you are getting a computer to play flight sims. If this is the road you wish to go down. For most other applications what you have will see you through for quite some time. Gaming is a whole different realm. By all means ask for advise but do your own research as well so when you make the upgrade you make a well informed decision. This will help you spend your well earned dollars wisely.

Things in this industry change rapidly and what is top today is bottom tomorrow. You have to purchase based on your needs and where you want to keep yourself on the ladder of improvements. I think it is always a wise choose to stay in the middle and don't jump too fast. If gaming you would look at about every 3 years if you stay in the middle. For anything else you may want then you can go a long way before making changes. Like I say it all depends on your needs and buy accordingly. This is the best advise I can give you. Hope this helps.:)

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering what kind of FPS I should expect - I'm running XP with C2D 2.4 OCd to 3.0 Ghz and 8800GTX also 2 Gigs of RAM. I'm only getting ~20 FPS with mid settings on F-15 quickstart. I was getting 50 FPS before updating to latest video drivers (but this was before I realized i need to point settings to simulator.exe)? Maybe I should revert?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 2500k (OC 4.6 Liquid) / AsRock Z77Extreme / Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC / 16GB RAM / 250GB Crucial SSD / Win7 x64 / TrackIR 4 Pro (Wireless Mod) / Saitek X-45

You could try reverting, yes. Also try removing any AA or AF you have forced through the driver to see if your card is overloading.

A DxDiag output file might help to see if there's anything else we should look at in your machine.

EDIT: And that reminds me - there were some cards that had some funky business in the driver suites and hardware combo that caused them to do worse with 4x AA than with 8x AA. (Ensure you are using MultiSample, not SuperSample. SuperSample = FPS death.) Can't recall if the 8800GTX was one of those cards though.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks, Here is the DxDiag and an image of settings, I lowered the AA and AF to 4 without a significant hit to FPS. Just not sure what kind of FPS would be reasonable.

Can you glean anything from the diag?

DxDiag.txt

Settings.JPG.2d8a70d2d3dbb4ff3ea0c514fa3e50f5.JPG

Edited by Bushaman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 2500k (OC 4.6 Liquid) / AsRock Z77Extreme / Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC / 16GB RAM / 250GB Crucial SSD / Win7 x64 / TrackIR 4 Pro (Wireless Mod) / Saitek X-45

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Submarine Simmer trying out being a Flight Simmer here, just bought FC2 the other week with a joystick and a few other toys to break into the genre. Stuck it on "Simulation" as soon as i installed it and began learning the ropes!

Enjoying it so far but as you can probably guess given the thread, I'm having a framerate problem.

Computer is more than capable, Relevant information being;

AMD X4 Phenom @ 3.2ghz (40 Degrees in FC2)

2x 1GB ATI 4870's

4gb DDR2

I'll skip over the rest of the details because well... It's not really the hardware. I'm something of a enthusiast so i have monitoring software reporting usage and temperatures.

On the tarmac;

5-10 FPS

Primary GFX = 6%

Secondary GFX = 0%

CPU = 15 - 25%

In the air;

20 - 40 FPS

Primary GFX = 26%

Secondary GFX = 23%

CPU = 15 - 25%

All the settings ingame are maxxed out and I'm forcing 8x AA through the drivers, but my system simply is not being used. As is, takeoff/landing not a very enjoyable experience and spooling up/closing the canopy is almost painful. On the ground those framerates are impossible to play with.

I watched the video at the start of this thread and my jaw dropped at how smooth it was, then someone said his FPS was POOR?! xD

I saw something about a FPS Fix earlier, so I'll go hunting after i post this for that, but if anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone =(? I'm going through the tweaks at the moment to get the framerate up, but if i could get the game to use the rest of my System I'd be thrilled.

I've noticed the game never uses more or less than 25% of my CPU. Core to core varies, but overall it remains the same. Affinity is set for all cores, so i don't see why it wouldn't use more if it needed it, but all the same, could this be a bottleneck?

Remember reading KA-50 is CPU intensive moreso than Graphics.

I'm not sure, as I can't get good framerates, but my system doesn't come near to yours.

I do know that the engine can't currently use more than 2 cores (maybe only 1 in FC2) Black Shark recieved an update which allowed it to put audio on a second core. The game is better on one fast core than multiple slow/medium cores.

I do know that the engine can't currently use more than 2 cores (maybe only 1 in FC2) Black Shark recieved an update which allowed it to put audio on a second core. The game is better on one fast core than multiple slow/medium cores.

Like i said, it executes on all 4 of mine, but never exceeds 25%, so that may be it. Logically, it IS using one full core... Thanks for the tip :)

Fiddle with my OC's tonight i guess. See if i can crack 3.4 or 3.5. Used to be that high but i lost my settings caus the CMOS reset.

Edited by Aphyosis

• 2 months later...

I want to give a big thank you to all of the people who helped me in this thread. I have upgraded my PSU to a 650W and I am now using a Radeon 5750. All of you guys helped me a ton and I really appreciate it.:)

Thank you DCS Community