Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition news

Flyby

I am liking this but could do with flying with some of you guys to see what to do etc. Anyone want a noob to help out:)

There's a community teamspeak for it, many of the squads and random players can join. People often jump on when playing multiplayer: ts3.riseofflight.com:7777

Also checkout Requiem's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

I am playing the unlimited demo now. I can not seem to beat the final training mission with the dogfighting. I am flying the spad and I must really suck in these old planes. I can beat the single albatros some times, but other times I can not seem to get him off my tail once he gets there. I can not keep my SA at the cross so by the time I get my view pan around to find him, he is already halfway through his turn and getting to my six. When I try to turn as sharp I can sometimes stay with him for a bit but then eventually get into a stall. Must be a AoA stall because my airspeed is still plenty high around 120km/h. I have been on his tail at times and can keep him in my sights for a bit but do not seem to get enough lead into him and eventually he shakes me and ends up on my tail.

I am sure I just need to keep practicing, but can anyone give some good tips on maneuvers to get on any enemies tail?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

There's a community teamspeak for it, many of the squads and random players can join. People often jump on when playing multiplayer: ts3.riseofflight.com:7777

Also checkout Requiem's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS

jtac 1917 STYLEE:)

Thanks for the tips

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

..... I am flying the spad......

First learn the advantages and weaknesses of the plane you are flying, I havent flown the SPAD much yet, but I think its strengths are speed and climbing. Use that when fighting something like the albatros. Learn to recognise your opponent by their shape and learn their weaknesses. All of them, yes it sounds like too much, but it wont take much time. But for that mission start with the albatros, it turns well, even when slow, wont stall easily, not very fast, and doesnt climb well.

... I can not keep my SA at the cross so by the time I get my view pan around to find him, he is already halfway through his turn and getting to my six.

Sounds like you dont have trackir? Thats gonna be a problem then. Or maybe you need to adjust your trackir profile, make it faster?

... When I try to turn as sharp I can sometimes stay with him for a bit but then eventually get into a stall. Must be a AoA stall because my airspeed is still plenty high around 120km/h. I have been on his tail at times and can keep him in my sights for a bit but do not seem to get enough lead into him and eventually he shakes me and ends up on my tail.

I am not an expert on the SPAD, but I think you are doing it wrong, you shouldnt be trying to turn with it like that, atleast not until you have put some bullets in its wings first. Or you have an obvious tactical advantage. Use your speed and energy instead. Thats where your plane is better. Fly past him, put some distance between you, flip over, come back and shoot down on him, at the merge loop straight up and over, use other energy tactics, yo-yos, lure him into climbs and when he stalls, turn in and fly across and take the shot while you pass. etc etc etc. Basically learn how to fight with energy not tight turns if you are flying a plane like the SPAD. And if he gets on your six, dont try to shake him away by trying to outturn him, just dodge his bullets for a few seconds until you have gained enough speed and fly away from him, he wont be able to catch up, and then go back in. But I dont fly the SPAD, and im no expert on energy fighting, but thats how I fly the SE5 and I think they should be using similar tactics. Of course once you have an advantage, like if you are already on his six, or he is crippled, you can try to turn with him.

Good Luck :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Yep the SPAD is a boom n zoom plane. To stay in the fight and attack from above can be done, but it takes many many hours of practice to avoid him getting guns on from below.

So to start with, fly the SPAD in hit and run tactics.

Before you attack the two fokkers, start climbing at 140 speed. Do not come within guns range until you are at least 1000 feet above them.

Fly above them, wingover or loop over and dive on them shooting. If you have enough energy left, climbing turn back up and dive and shoot again.

To build up some energy after each shot, you can do a spiral climb. Make sure you spiral climb towards them so that you're too vertical for them to shoot you.

When you run out of energy, speed away with slight nose down to get out of bullet range and start the climb and do it again.

I love the SPAD to death, but to be honest it's one of the hardest flying styles to master unless you've played alot of Boom n Zoom tactics in IL-2 or something. Once mastered though, it's one of the top 3 planes in historical missions in my opinion. You can escape and survive almost anything. The ultimate chickenshit running machine :)

for the situational awareness without trackir, you need your left hand either on the mouse, on the numpad, or on a hatswitch on your throttle.

Set your viewer to pan mode in the launcher, and adjust the speeds to your liking. You need it to stay panned and not pop back to cockpit.

Then keep a button handy to go back to cockpit.

E.g. in a turn fight, you only need pan up a little and then he's in your view through the whole turn, then when guns on him tap the cockpit centre view button.

Trackir is good, but you don't have to have it. In fact the top 5 multiplayer dogfighters don't use it, they use the keypad or throttle hat in the left hand.

I say left hand, because you don't want to be touching anything else on your stick when you're shooting as it throws off your aim :)

Before you attack the two fokkers...

I think he was on the trainingmission that ends with fighting against two albatroses, not fokkers.

I love the SPAD to death, but to be honest it's one of the hardest flying styles to master unless you've played alot of Boom n Zoom tactics in IL-2 or something. Once mastered though, it's one of the top 3 planes in historical missions in my opinion. You can escape and survive almost anything. The ultimate chickenshit running machine :)

Yes, perhaps if its too frustrating, you could just fly the Albatros instead in the demo, and when you get other planes, stick to planes like the albatroses, sopwith pup and camel. The sopwith camel BTW is AWESOME, my favourite plane, and I totally get its good reputation now.

Trackir is good, but you don't have to have it.

I think in something like ROF you have to have it, perhaps not if you are just going to turn the tightest you can with all enemies, but if you are going to use advanced vertical energy tactics you need to know where the enemy is all the time.

In fact the top 5 multiplayer dogfighters don't use it,

Wow this is unbelievable. Totally crazy. But again, maybe they fly the camel or dr1 and only turn and flip as tight as they can, maybe they dont need it for just using tight turns, but for the other tactics it should be a must to have full visual SA behind your 3 and 9 line.

But I suppose its unlikely to be at the top five with only turning tight as your only tactics, so that means they still have to see behind 3,9 and in that case I dont get how they do it without trackir.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

I have just downloaded the update, and went for a tentative hop. I am a bit confused though..

What is going on with this career mode? I thought it was just a better presented version of the campaign engine, but is it actually a multiplayer based system? Something Sticky said confused me> after you shot down the DR1 you wanted to find out who had flown it, would that be just a computer generated career for the enemy, ie was he an ace or a novice, or was he actually RL pilot flying his career in the DR1?

It seems to take a long time to generate the missions when I click "next day" and then the first mission didnt have my pilot in it. Do I need to create more pilots in the squadron to be able to fly in more of the missions?

Lastly I didnt notice much difference with the graphics? At first I tried pumping everything up to max and it was too slow so went back to my old settings, nice and smooth. Whats this extreme rendering thing that everyone is on about? You could always zoom in and see the enemy planes, no?

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

I'm no expert but I'll try and answer your questions mate.

The new career mode is an attempt at a dynamic career experience way beyond what the old career mode offered. First impressions lead me to believe that this new career mode has little to do with the old career mode.

The new dynamic career mode is only multiplayer in that a central server compares your career results with other players and shows how you compare in a ranking system based on points accrued to date. When you are in the game world you are the only human player, everything else being under the control of AI.

As you state you can now see the name, rank and unit of all those shot down by yourself and your squadron mates in the reports, squadron and personal pages. How these details are arrived at I do not know but I'm hoping they are based on AI pilots engaged in their own careers rather than being randomly made up on the spot.

In my experience so far playing the new career mode, whilst you may not be tasked on the first mission of the day you'll be involved in at least one of them. Simply hit the Next Mission button until you get to your mission. This allows you to view mission results as they are completed by your AI squadmates. You won't fly on every mission available as this is just not a realistic representation of how Air Ops were/are conducted.

You can only have one player controlled pilot in any one career instance.

The new graphics options only give fairly subtle changes as the graphics were already top notch with not a lot of room for improvement. There is a new option (extreme rendering?) to get rid of shimmering plane textures but this is only recommended for very powerful machines otherwise it will hit your performance badly but by all accounts it certainly fixes the issue. The objects distance option now allows the rendering of distant objects without the need to zoom in - subtle but brilliant - and it works without impacting performance. New Autumn textures etc etc etc too much to go into here.

I like you am using my old graphics settings but with object draw distance up to 100% - absolutely gorgeous!

I've got to say - the dev team responsible for ROF 1.019 have a great deal to be proud of.

Hope that helps.

I have just downloaded the update, and went for a tentative hop. I am a bit confused though..

What is going on with this career mode? I thought it was just a better presented version of the campaign engine, but is it actually a multiplayer based system? Something Sticky said confused me> after you shot down the DR1 you wanted to find out who had flown it, would that be just a computer generated career for the enemy, ie was he an ace or a novice, or was he actually RL pilot flying his career in the DR1?

It seems to take a long time to generate the missions when I click "next day" and then the first mission didnt have my pilot in it. Do I need to create more pilots in the squadron to be able to fly in more of the missions?

Lastly I didnt notice much difference with the graphics? At first I tried pumping everything up to max and it was too slow so went back to my old settings, nice and smooth. Whats this extreme rendering thing that everyone is on about? You could always zoom in and see the enemy planes, no?

No, they are just AI, I was so deeply immersed in that encounter that I wanted to know his skill level, more fun to know if he was a high ranking officer :) Just some roleplaying, I like when a campaign can have that effect :) It can also be extremely frustrating though, there are lots of bugs, for example I never got to find out who that DR1 pilot was because of one of the bugs, and I have as many "rof.exe has stopped working" CTDs as I have kills. Frustrating to say the least hehe

I disagree, I think the new object rendering distance is a big deal, it was done wrong before IMO. Its an important change and it should have been this way from the start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Re> career mode, OK thats what i thought initially. Nothing wrong with a bit of role play though eh?

As for the object rendering thing, I am not saying one or the other, I am just asking what is the difference? It might just be that on my settings (not maxxed) that there is no difference, or it might be that because I havent flown ROF for a few months it was not apparent to me, but I couldnt perceive any drastic difference. I always thought the graphics were really good anyway...so really Im asking what difference am I supposed to be appreciating...what is it supposed to do that it wasnt doing before?I might be a being a bit thick, I am not that up to speed on all the computing terminology that come with these programs. I just like it to look nice and go smooth...which I always thought ROF was amazing for..Is it that you wouldnt need to use the icons to see something far away?

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Ok, the difference is, before the patch, objects (more importantly planes) used to be drawn at 2500m distance from you, now they are drawn at 8500m if you put Objects visibility at 100. With almost no performance hit. If you want the old drawing distance you put it to 50.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okey Doky then! That sounds good! Off to check settings..Thanks for your help!

EDIT> Yep, was still on 50! looking forward to having another go. It would have been great on the old multiplayer games where everyone took off at the same time, then you would spread out and fly around for an hour not finding anyone!

Edited by bluepilot76

heh heh, I was playing the new campaign too and wondered about the human names and "onlineness". I had to pause the game at one point to reassure myself that it was in fact AI that was trying to shoot me down and not a Human :D

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I think he was on the trainingmission that ends with fighting against two albatroses, not fokkers.

Yeah that's what I meant ;) It's been so long since I did that mission.

Wow this is unbelievable. Totally crazy. But again, maybe they fly the camel or dr1 and only turn and flip as tight as they can, maybe they dont need it for just using tight turns, but for the other tactics it should be a must to have full visual SA behind your 3 and 9 line.

But I suppose its unlikely to be at the top five with only turning tight as your only tactics, so that means they still have to see behind 3,9 and in that case I dont get how they do it without trackir.

They fly all planes including energy fighters. Yeah they just mastered the view system is all. Takes some practice and tweaking of settings.

One of my squad flys the Spad most of the time, and he only uses the mouse to look around. He does very well. Although he flies bombers alot and his practice of left-hand mouse gives him an advantage - he can fly the bomber with the right hand and shoot from the gunner position with the mouse in the left! Needless to say I don't attack at him if he's flying a bomber.

Interesting though having NO trackir does give you an advantage in fighter gunnery. Moving a stable screen crosshair onto a maneuvering target is easier than moving a crosshair with changing position due to head movement.

Even if you put a deadzone on x and y, the yaw/pitch of trackir will still require mental subconscious adjustments to your aim.

Just saying this so that people don't blame trackir for anything. Go into multiplayer and expect to die with or without trackir ;) The sim has a large learning curve but that's the fun of it.

Having said this, I love trackir and highly recommend it for this and any other sims. Much more immersive, and keeps my HOTAS hands free is more relaxing than juggling view controls.

I thought you could have a button on joystick to disable TrackIR. I do not have trackIR yet though. That is my next purchase.

Thanks for the tips on the SPAD. I have been using energy techniques. I spiral up till I am at least 1km away and then usually try to dive back onto him. I guess I then waste my energy trying to come back to him on the way up and put more rounds into him and should instead keep climbing back to my perch. When I get stuck with him, I do put some distance and then turn and try a head on shot. Usually get a short squeeze off before he pulls left to not hit me. Trying to keep the pipper on him from his 6 is nearly impossible, but I can usually keep him there to get a few rounds off but they do not seem to do much damage. Of course my best fight with him was after he damaged my right aileron. :huh: The couple times I did get him down. I think once he just ran out of gas as I must have hit his tank because he was not even in front of me when it said I got him. Then I moved to the Fokkers and that lasted for about 5 minutes before I exploded. I think they are DV8s. Is this the same tactic? Boom and Zoom one at a time?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I enjoy the new career mode immensely. Ach, more than that - I think I've actually never had this much fun in a CFS before :D I'm a complete newbie as it comes to RoF (my budding career is all of 3 days old now) but I've still succeeded in downing 2 AI Nieuports already, and the 1st one was flown by a battalion leader too! Which makes me think their skill level and rank aren't necessarily connected since all he did was just turn, turn & turn...

But what's funny is that I got on his six pretty easily with my Albie D.Va, and yet the 17.C1 Nieuport is supposed to be the (vastly) better turner. Hmmm... must've been a rusty high-rank desk flyer wanting to get back in the action and picking a wrong day for it I suppose :D

Yah, I know I'll eventually get back to DCS, because I always do. But these quirky, flimsy, frail and delightfully primitive planes really are a muther-frikkin' riot still. Highly recommended!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I thought you could have a button on joystick to disable TrackIR. I do not have trackIR yet though. That is my next purchase.

Thanks for the tips on the SPAD. I have been using energy techniques. I spiral up till I am at least 1km away and then usually try to dive back onto him. I guess I then waste my energy trying to come back to him on the way up and put more rounds into him and should instead keep climbing back to my perch. When I get stuck with him, I do put some distance and then turn and try a head on shot. Usually get a short squeeze off before he pulls left to not hit me. Trying to keep the pipper on him from his 6 is nearly impossible, but I can usually keep him there to get a few rounds off but they do not seem to do much damage. Of course my best fight with him was after he damaged my right aileron. :huh: The couple times I did get him down. I think once he just ran out of gas as I must have hit his tank because he was not even in front of me when it said I got him. Then I moved to the Fokkers and that lasted for about 5 minutes before I exploded. I think they are DV8s. Is this the same tactic? Boom and Zoom one at a time?

It's hard to boom n zoom more than one at a time, generally you have to stay higher than the highest one, and as you attack one the other one gains height so you keep swapping to whoever is highest.

If you want to avoid extending too far away and avoid headons, there's various vertical techniques you can use, they are mostly in Requiem's videos linked above.

For an idea of what it looks like in combat to use the "high yoyo" here's an old video of me in Dolphin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5ij673kTE

It can work somewhat with the Spad, note in the video towards the end I got impatient and used the Dolphins excellent high speed turn. The Spad doesn't turn as well but the Spad is faster and can zoom higher.

Other videos to checkout from Requiem's are the pitch back (after the headon, pull back and the from the top of the loop roll onto their 6 for a shot), and the "rope-a-dope". In the Spad the rope-a-dope is very good against Albatros. Keep bit of rudder in the climbing spiral you don't need hardly any aileron at all once you've got the bank angle right it's just a little bit of rudder.

Also - the barrel roll attack is good to lineup someone below you if they are turning tight, you roll into their turn as you cant turn with them for long.

• 2 months later...