Su25 Autopilot Bug?

BBQ

When I use "Level autopilot" (ALT 3) -- it levels the jet out--no problem. However, if I bank the jet while in this mode (even 10 degrees)--it flip flops back and forth ad naseum after I let go of the stick. To make matters worse--when I disengage the autopilot (ALT 9), the controls for pitch and roll are hosed--as if it is still in some kind of autopilot mode. E.G. it is constantly rolling to the right if I let go of the stick.

Can anyone else confirm this? Is this a feature--or a bug?

Cold--I just figured that out--I'm flying all over the place trying to reset the trim with the three green lights that indicate whether you're at the "default" state or not.

Thanks for the tip--

However, if I bank the jet while in this mode (even 10 degrees)--it flip flops back and forth ad naseum after I let go of the stick.

Why are you trying to defeat autopilot by introducing control inputs in autopilot modes?

ALT-3 is not meant to be engaged if you want to play with the stick! You can always use ALT-2 to hold bank angle and altitude at the sam time!

No what you described is not a bug.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Why are you trying to defeat autopilot by introducing control inputs in autopilot modes?

ALT-3 is not meant to be engaged if you want to play with the stick! You can always use ALT-2 to hold bank angle and altitude at the sam time!

No what you described is not a bug.

I'm trying to find an autopilot mode where I can stabalize altitude and concentrate on using the targeting TV--but if I need to make small course adjustments--I thought I could bank within 30 Degrees and not disengage the autopilot.

I was wrong--I'm just trying to learn this beast!

How do you attack using the TV for targeting, and keep the jet on the straight and level? Any tips much appreciated!

• ED Team

Example of sequence: press "alt+1" -> press "alt+~" and hold it -> make some stick inputs -> release "alt+~" -> the autopilot will get in account the new attitude.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

from the KeyCommands.doc that comes with 1.1

Alt 1 - Attitude hold (note: not altitude hold)

Alt 2 - Altitude and Roll hold

Alt 3 - Transition to level flight (panic button)

Alt 4 - Altitude hold (barometric)

Alt 5 - Altitude hold (radio alt)

Alt 6 - Route Following

Alt 9 - Disengage autopilot

My thoughts on the various modes:

Alt 1 - I personally wouldnt use this mode as it is a very basic mode. All it does is hold the nose in the same position as when you selected it. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if you wanted to go head down and do something without worrying about the aircraft wondering off too much.

Alt 2 - A good mode to fly straight and level.

Alt 3 - As the name suggests mainly used when you lose orientation and want the aircraft to fly straight and level. I presume it would do this a little more aggressivley than Alt 2 mode as it is an emergency.

Alt 4 - My favourite ... holds your current barometric altitude while still giving you roll control for small angles of bank. (rough guide ~ 30 degrees bank angle ok)

Alt 5 - watch out for this one! holds you current radio altimeter height (ie height above terrain) this is a sort of terrain following mode with one major draw back. The radio altimeter only looks at the height of the ground directly below you and doesn't look forward. eg if you set it to say 500m while over hilly terrain it will follow the back side of a hill into a valley and most probably the Su-25t wont have the performace to pull out and make it over the next ridge and you will crash into the side of the hill.

Alt -6 this is quite good as it follows you programed route. also watch the training videos as if you lock a target in the TV it will fly striaght over the top of it so you can concentrate on aiming and firing the weapons.

Alt - 9 self explanatory except the trim could be out once you disconnect. To prevent this use Alt -2 and allow the aircraft to stablise in stright and level flight and then disconnect and the aircraft will be trimmed for straight and level flight. (personaly i find it odd that an aircraft would trim roll but hey .. thats just me.)

:)

cobra_sig01.jpg

I'm trying to find an autopilot mode where I can stabalize altitude and concentrate on using the targeting TV--but if I need to make small course adjustments--I thought I could bank within 30 Degrees and not disengage the autopilot.

I was wrong--I'm just trying to learn this beast!

How do you attack using the TV for targeting, and keep the jet on the straight and level? Any tips much appreciated!

when you have the tv on in ground mode, the "A" key will stabilize the flight to the target. There is more info on this in the autopilot section of the manual. I find the alt-3 is helpful when the control surfaces are damaged or when I need to level the plane after the load becomes uneven on the wings.