With the F-15, what is the idea behind the range displayed in the HUD when selecting ILS not being the actual range to the field? It seems to go to an intercept point, when you get to 0.0nm it resets to airfield distance. Also, ILS HUD symbology does not appear until through this point, even though it is on the ADI.

Is this modeled in accordance with something on the real F-15, or is it the devs best guess? It doesn't work like that in other western aircraft.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

Its nothing like F15 real world implementation either in the DME logic or the HUD ILS refrences.

With the ILS DME in many US installations the DME reference is the upwind threshold ???? unlike the rest of the world where the ILS DME is to the approach end threshold.... i.e. where you want it to be.

Edited by IvanK

I think in US aircraft in game ILS is actually RTN point to align you with runway and ILS aproach 10km out of the runway... when you reach it it switches to ILS. In game in Russian aircraft there's NAV, RTN and ILS mode.

No longer active in DCS...

The system is basically a clone of the same code the flanker uses; FC/FC2 are light/survey sims and they do not necessarily model all the system very faithfully.

For one, the nav cross is something you should be flying your FPI to (and should also be your ILS cue - not the ILS that you get in FC, that's not in the real 15) and not just a pointer to a heading, but obviously N/A FC.

You are guided to an initial approach, then it switches to ILS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda