Protection Of 1.1FC cd?

i was thinking, about the protection on the cd, you say you can only play the game with the cd in the drive and no activation is needed, so what is going to stop pirates copying he game? as no activation is needed?

rekoal

There is no way to make identical copy of Starforce protected CD. Every pirated SF-protected game comes with cracked EXE and DLLs files, but yet no pirates group has managed to make identical copy. That's why SF-protection based on CD is widely used in Russia.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

Then whats stopping them from downloading the game and then use a exe crack?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

there is not much difference between SF-activation and SF-cd-protection schemas in case of EXE-crack. Theoretically, both versions are possible to run from cracked EXE, if any. Yet no cracks for FC are available, more to say - there are no games, which used SF version 3.4.7x and higher, was cracked.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

What games use that version of SF?

I don't know of any SF protected games sold in stores that have not been cracked.

FC will thankfully slip under the radar since it is a small scale title and so it will get no notice from the big cracking groups.

Zero_G, patch 1.2 for SH3 uses SF version 3.4.75, after 3 weeks it still not cracked.

Is SH3 a small scale title? ;)

you can found more titles if search for a recently released games or patches for them ;)

btw: if you are "in scene", then how many groups do you know, who made a crack of SF 3.x games? I know only one.

ps: FC is not so small title, as you think. and I already saw some requests for FC cracks on "questionable" boards. Most cracking groups has noticed this release, but not able crack it yet.

original SH3 1.0 used SF version 2.4.6x, that why it was cracked, as well as other few games with same protection.

SH3 1.2 isn't cracked yet.

GTR torrent went out in February I think, not that I have it. Starforce 3+ is apparently emulatable but not crackable. Personally I bought FC1.1 the minute it came out, same as I would any other title that had such a dedicated team behind it. Some titles 'deserve' pirating, they're unplayable, behind the times and an out and out rip-off to put it mildly. Lomac has never been that and I sincerely believe that even someone who originally had a pirate copy (for whatever sceptical reason that may have been) then went on to buy the original and will continue to support ED, afterall, that's where the development is and without money there won't be much of that, not for us Westerners anyway.

Disclaimer: I do not condone piracy, not in the sense that one person gets for free what another has to pay for. I do not condone theft either, and just as the piracy of software is an exploit, so is making and selling absolute crap to people who are 'so honest they would never pirate anything'.

I'll get my coat........

This is the way I look at it. I've already paid $35 for the download and now another $39 for the CD (pre-order). I'd still like a cracked version, just cause I dislike everything they've done to this sim that has created so much trouble for all their loyal fans. Call me crazy, but when I spend that amount of money for a patch and airplane (that I won't even fly) I'd like to know I can at least have unlimited installs and a working product. None of which I've seen yet, which is why I'd gladly install a no-cd fix or "deactivation" crack whenever it comes along. IMHO, ED has royally upset many of it's sincerest fans with this release and the copy protection. In all honesty, I think they "lost" more doing it this way, however in monetary terms they did make lots more money from people like me, who ended up paying twice for it! And I'm still looking for that crack BTW...!

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Starforce 3+ is apparently emulatable but not crackable.
not correct: SF before 3.4.70 is crackable (not every title though) and most time emulable (with SFNM). versions after 3.4.70 is not craked nor emulated yet. I not newbie in that, I read those forums... I made many tests and I talk with SF officials on this matter, yet I didn't managed to emulate SF 3.4.70 and higher, so I take this as a good fact.

Just a warning: using the crack when Lockon was originally released gave me 3-5 extra fps. That's why i still want to get the downloadable version.

Not sure if I understand you right.

Both LockOn version 1 and 1.01 used compeletely different protection then Flaming Cliffs uses.

And I'm still looking for that crack BTW...!

then don't look it here, BTW.

cause we will immediatly ban everyone, who post it here.

then don't look it here, BTW.

cause we will immediatly ban everyone, who post it here.

Hey, I wouldn't go that far. I understand!.. Of course I wouldn't post it if I found one, but I sure would like a crack for my own copy! I've already paid for the game twice anyways...

LawnDart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I meant that LockOn's original copy protection requiring the cd to remain in the tray cost approx 3 fps. Hopefully, that's not the case with StarForce?

Accoding to official info from SF developers, SF works only at time of application start, while decrypting EXE files and checking for CD or activation. Since application is started (background music is on and menu appears), SF do nothing in system and takes no CPU cycles.

Oh yes, I've read many all those USB2 CD-drives stories...;) I have one, and made a whole day testing trying to run SF protected game to run from it - no luck. So, unless you personally was managed to do it - don't believe those stories on f.forums ;)

rekoal, believe me, it's not possible with new SF, I tryed ;)

mini-images works for older version of SF.

rekoal, relieve me, it's not possible with new SF, I tryed ;)

mini-images works for older version of SF.

ok, im not really educated on this subject anyway!

i hope the pirates will never be able to exploit Fc because it would send the ED unrewared

rekoal

ooops, sorry for typos in my prev post: relieve -> believe