OT: Swedish Viggen photos

good pics for modellers! thanks SK.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

Great shots aren't they. I saw a Viggen display at an airshow a few years ago and was very impressed, particularly by the "reverse down the runway" trick they do. Useful for 3-point turns I guess :-)

Shame they're disappearing from active duty, but the Gripen's quite an interesting aircraft. Nowhere near as "solid" looking though, and it's that strang ecombination of elegance and brutality which gives the Viggen its charm.

Andrew McP

Very nice shots! Brings back many memories from when I did service in the Swedish Airforce... :)

LawnDart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Great shots aren't they. I saw a Viggen display at an airshow a few years ago and was very impressed, particularly by the "reverse down the runway" trick they do. Useful for 3-point turns I guess :-)

Shame they're disappearing from active duty, but the Gripen's quite an interesting aircraft. Nowhere near as "solid" looking though, and it's that strang ecombination of elegance and brutality which gives the Viggen its charm.

Andrew McP

You must have been at Wadington 2000, this was the last time I saw them in UK. I fell in love with Viggen that year after that awesome trick and a sheer power. I call it a "Monster" and only Eurofighter came close to her so far in sheer power category.

The link below is to my video where Viggen slams down hard on runway, stops in 1/3 of it, reverses and do a 3 point turn, reverses little bit more and than takes off from that 1/3 of the runway in opposite dirrection of the landing. All car alarms went off like crazy!

Video: Viggen-Waddington2000 (1.3 Mb)

The viggem was the first really modern 3rd generation aircraft, when it came back in the 70's and the soviets had nothing to match it. The Viggem had pulse doppler radar 2 MFD's and BVR reach of quality no russian fighter had.

As other fighter came such as the F-16, F-15, F-18, Su-27 and Mig-29 it was no longer exceptional in terms of pure perfomance numbers, yet it enjoyed multirole that it remained a credible defense fighter IMHO.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You must have been at Wadington 2000

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Waddington, but my memory's hazy. The Airstrip was higher than the viewing area I seem to remember. At least it was from where I was stood. And I'm pretty sure the number was 37... thirty something anyway. Again, could be my memory. Was feeling really tired that day and didn't take any photos.

But the landing, turn, take-off trick was the same. very noisy and very impressive! I do remember alarms going off as well though. Nice calling card :-) Almost as impressive though was it's incredible silhouette in the sky as it turned tightly around the airfield. The huge fluorescent numbers on the wing do strange things to your sense of scale, it was a particularly memorable experience. Your clip brought it all back to me, thanks.

Oh. If it helps I seem to remember the only reason I went to that show was that the American F-16 display team was flying. I hadn't seen them before. All I remember of that was their formations didn't seem as tight as the Red Arrows and that they seemed rather keen on the Stars & Stripes for some reason :-D

Andrew McP... who doesn't go to airshows these days in protest at the lack of Su-27's gracing our skies these days. It's a crime! (Actually last I heard it was because Sukhoi were afraid their aircraft would get "repossessed" by the agents of people they owe money to in the West. My information may be out of date these days :-)

Andrew McP

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Waddington, but my memory's hazy. The Airstrip was higher than the viewing area I seem to remember. At least it was from where I was stood. And I'm pretty sure the number was 37... thirty something anyway. Again, could be my memory. Was feeling really tired that day and didn't take any photos.

But the landing, turn, take-off trick was the same. very noisy and very impressive! I do remember alarms going off as well though. Nice calling card :-) Almost as impressive though was it's incredible silhouette in the sky as it turned tightly around the airfield. The huge fluorescent numbers on the wing do strange things to your sense of scale, it was a particularly memorable experience. Your clip brought it all back to me, thanks.

Oh. If it helps I seem to remember the only reason I went to that show was that the American F-16 display team was flying. I hadn't seen them before. All I remember of that was their formations didn't seem as tight as the Red Arrows and that they seemed rather keen on the Stars & Stripes for some reason :-D

Andrew McP... who doesn't go to airshows these days in protest at the lack of Su-27's gracing our skies these days. It's a crime! (Actually last I heard it was because Sukhoi were afraid their aircraft would get "repossessed" by the agents of people they owe money to in the West. My information may be out of date these days :-)

Andrew McP

Waddington 2000 had Thunderbirds performing at the end of Saturay only.

They didn't impress me either, to many quiet breaks in the display. Yes, Stars & Stripes in the comentary was way over the top, people were rolling in laughter.

• 2 months later...

As a systems platform it remained top notch until the very end. That is the JA37 fighterversion. The latest D version were in fact superiour in some respects to the first batch of the JAS39. I think it was a pioneer in the datalink department, including fighter to fighter, already in the 80´s. For example the (radar)passive part of a two ship formation firing the missile while the other illuminating. Or covering a large area with few planes and great spread since they could share their display information in realtime.

Other special characteristics were the extrem longshooting and accurate 30mm Oerlikon (Swizz or Austrian made) cannon. IIRC it was first developed as an antiaircraft gun. They also used to boast about its climbrate - from standing still 0km/h up to 10000m in less than 90 seconds. Haven´t got a clue how that compares to the rest really...

It´s pretty clear it wouldn´t outturn any of those Pilatasso mention, but probably would give them a match in a slow speed fight. It is known for being a very responsive "pilots aircraft".

I managed to see it in two airshows last summer, and it just outclasses the JAS39 Gripen as a display act. Yes, Andrew_McP put it very well... it does look brutal on the ground, but in the air the impression is quite different. Actually, the most impressive is just seeing a two ship take off for a mission without any show :).

Patricksaviation.com delivers again. The fighterversion (and at least some surveillance version as well) have a taller fin which is protruding a bit backwards, compared the attackversions, which just go straight up.

http://www1.patricksaviation.com/uploads/videos62/Viggen.mpeg

Talking about the beautifull planes Saab has made over the years, I was lucky to see the Draken 2 weeks ago on the annual airshow over here.

Awesome beast of a plane, pitty it was the last time they performed on an airshow in the Netherlands.

Sorry for the bad quality, the weather sucked that day........

normal_draken.jpg

:D