How well will Black Shark run on this?

I'm debating on getting Black Shark, but I am unsure of whether it will run decent on my computer. I can't stand choppy graphics in games. Will I have to turn most of the setting down quite a bit?

Athlon II X2 245 2.9 GHz

2GB DDR3 RAM

ATI HD 4670 w/ 1GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 32bit

Thanks

Virgin install or tweaked install?

Do you want a lot of eye candy or can you do without?

After some tweaking you should be able to get an FPS of in between 15 to 40

Highly depending on how many units are on the map and what those units are doing.

If you would consider upgrading your system the CPU and after that the Memory (in your case) would have the most significant impact on performance.

Note that whit memory i am referring to RAM Memory, Not the memory on your vid cart.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Aye, RAM is the one component on there that makes me worry as well. Unfortunately your 32-bit operating system will limit your upgrade options there (32-bit limit of 4GB - 1GB on the graphics card = 3GB), but even a third gig would be greatly helpful since it would guarantee that the process is free to gobble up a full 2gigs instead of having to share what should be it's very own adress space with the operating system and background apps. You would obviously have to verify whether your motherboard likes three-DIMM solutions.

The basic objective there would be to simply eliminate RAM as a bottleneck altogether, since with 2GB there is a theoretical possibility of having to read from HDD more often than desired.

There is a benchmarking thread here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45931

Unfortunately there's no directly comparable computer in it, but it might help you get a rough idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I previously had a similar system and the game was strangling to run with all the eye candy on in some of the campaign missions with lot off units. BS was the reason I upgrade my PC.

The whole learning process is very enjoyable and flying even alone is very good. Also with some tweaking will run better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

I'm debating on getting Black Shark, but I am unsure of whether it will run decent on my computer. I can't stand choppy graphics in games. Will I have to turn most of the setting down quite a bit?

Athlon II X2 245 2.9 GHz

2GB DDR3 RAM

ATI HD 4670 w/ 1GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 32bit

Thanks

Upgrading your RAM from 2 to 4 would be more than sufficient, and you have win7 which is a plus. Your GPU is good and your CPU is quite good too. The fact that is a dual core CPU is perfect for DCS now. But DCS is also a RAM eater. Upgrading to 4 GB will reduce crashes to a minimum and increase fps dramatically. Its also a plus that you got a DDR3 support mobo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

Mercury, do note that he is running a 32-bit system. An upgrade from 2GB to 4GB would leave 1GB unusued, since his graphics card is hogging 1GB of the OS's 4GB adress space.

A swap to 64-bit would solve that though, obviously.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Not only that, as far as I know, in a 32 bit system you can only use up to 2 GB of memory per executable (included video ram, use gpu-z to check usage). In 64 bit Vista or W7,even FC2 being a 32 bit executable, it can use up to 4GB due being compiled with a certain flag that allows WOW64 (the translator 32-64bit) to use that ammount of ram per 32bit executable.

Many missions with lots of units in a 32 bit system will make clients crash.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Mercury, do note that he is running a 32-bit system. An upgrade from 2GB to 4GB would leave 1GB unusued, since his graphics card is hogging 1GB of the OS's 4GB adress space.

A swap to 64-bit would solve that though, obviously.

I'm aware of that. But that extra ram can be addressed for other resources perhaps, no?? Its up to the OP of course if he wants to move to a 64bit system (which I think its a plus too), but thats too expensive.

"Basically, a 32 bit Operating system can provide addresses for up to 4GB, defined in this case as 2bits to the 32nd power worth. At that point the Operating System runs out of address due to mathematical limitations. That 4GB includes any memory on the Mobo, devices need addresses, your video RAM needs addresses, then comes the system stuff. When there aren't enough addresses for everything, they get assigned in order of importance, your DIMMS coming last in line."

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245572-12-tomshardware

Edited by Mercury

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

Thanks for the info guys! I just pulled out the Windows 7 64bit disc and installed it. I ordered 2 more GB of DDR3 Ram (which will put me at 4GB total).

Do you really think my processor, Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz is bad enough to warrant an upgrade there? If so, which AM3 AMD chip would be good enough?