FC2 FPS and stutter

viper3two

The terrain in LO have always been going like "tick tick tick tick" even slightly in the best case. As if something (ram? cpu?) couldnt catch up with the pace that stuff / terrain had to be rendered. even when at low. It has never been completely smooth for me. like other sims. eg my previous rig was a Q6600 @3Ghz, 2G DDR 1066, 8800GTS 512.

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The terrain in LO have always been going like "tick tick tick tick" even slightly in the best case. As if something (ram? cpu?) couldnt catch up with the pace that stuff / terrain had to be rendered. even when at low. It has never been completely smooth for me. like other sims. eg my previous rig was a Q6600 @3Ghz, 2G DDR 1066, 8800GTS 512.

LCD monitor?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Stuttering

FIXED MY STUTTERING!..........

I increased my screen resolution to its highest setting for my 6800GT graphics card. The sim automatically applies a new screen RATIO for your chosen resolution. I changed the automattically applied ratio to a ratio of 4:.3 and the stutters vanished. Could the sim be applying the wrong screen ratio? The sim chose a ratio 5:4, I changed it to 4:3 and no more stutters. Worth experimenting with.

Charlie

Edited by ChasCF
Spelling

I also have stutters especially when flying low even if fps is at about 90.

What works for me is reducing the resolution from 1280X960 to 1024X768. But I don't know how many are still willing to fly at 1024 these days..

It feels better, but some stutters still there

Edited by asparagin
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

FIXED MY STUTTERING!..........

I increased my screen resolution to its highest setting for my 6800GT graphics card. The sim automatically applies a new screen RATIO for your chosen resolution. I changed the automattically applied ratio to a ratio of 4:.3 and the stutters vanished. Could the sim be applying the wrong screen ratio? The sim chose a ratio 5:4, I changed it to 4:3 and no more stutters. Worth experimenting with.

Charlie

What was the highest resolution you did set?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Well guys I tried enhancer. It smoooothed things out alot, no more jumping around on the frame rates, but still....it sucks at best. Not directing this towards ED or anything at all, just need some help on my rig. I can run BS in cockpit around 70-110 fps and it does not stutter like this. Maybe a slight stutter when loading terrain but thats about it. I can turn on the shkval in BS and the lowest it will hit is around 40. I remember FC did the same thing. When you first pan around the cockpit it locks up and when getting near cities especially with a factory/smokestack, it drops to nothing...in the teens. Just seems like it should run pretty good with an i7-960 overclocked, 6gigs corsair and a gtx-295. Runs like a dog though.... And, what's weird, is no matter if I set nvidia control panel to override AA settings, setting on 2x or 16Q, it still has the jaggies big time. Wonder if this is a driver issue on my rig? Maybe I should uninstall FC and just do LO with FC2? Any thoughts? Thanks again, I am trying to get this thing smooth, it is one bad butt sim....

V3T

When selecting a resolution of 1280X1024 the simulator automatically selects a screen ratio of 5:4. I changed this to a manually selected ratio of 4:3 and the stutters stopped. I get a little stuttering when flying near buildings as they load but the performance now seems very similar to the original LockOn. Interestingly, heat blur does not have any negative performance hit for me in FC2. Heat blur normally kills my performance. I am using a Dell 8300 3.0ghz and an Nvidia 6800.

Iorbit have released a new version of their GAME BOOSTER. Its free to download. Game booster defrags your memory and shuts down unwanted services. You can edit the services and add more to be closed. It's brilliant! The new version of Advanced System Care has a Turbo Boost button which closes other background processes. I have never had the need to purchase the Pro version of ASC, look for the free version. Give them a try, they are great tools and FREE! http://www.iobit.com/ I prefer Game Booster to Alacrity by Ken Salter. Alacrity is not fully supported on Windows7 however, you might want to give it a try, its free! Just more difficult to configure.

I am also managing to use Latency Cfg2 in Windows7. I selected a latency of 128 for my graphics card instead of the default 256. This is said to help reduce stuttering.

Iam also using exctrlst.exe to shut down performance counters. This tool is part of the Microsoft Resource Kit and can be downloaded from their web site. I switched off all the performance counters in Windows7, there are lots of them. I also disabled indexing and importantly disabled System Restore which can cause the jitters. Lots for you to go on here............

I am not keen on the emerald green summer textures, I hope someone can tone them down.

Charlie

Edited by ChasCF

The thing about this stutters is that they can not be easily quantified. Not like FPS where I can measure it, and so know in which direction to go.

Anyway the stutters I have are not like those you get when textures are being loaded. I get them on low flying and at the point where all textures are already loaded. I'll keep experimenting when home.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I think, on top of other things (defrag, updated drivers, etc.) it might has to do with vertical refresh and/or graphic triple buffering. Try to play with those driver settings and also limit maxfps to a lower value than the refresh rate, for example maxfps=40 in /config/graphic.cfg

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Stutters

Yes, I had quite a lot of stutters without buildings being loaded and just flying over green fields. It's encouraging that my performance seems to be improving with a bit of fiddling. I rekon this new simulator will turn into a "little gem" once we get a few official patches etc. I the meantime we are still essentilally beta testing the product.

Charlie

Thanks EB ChasCF Asparagin and Distiler.....

I check and I have the latest nvidia drivers 197.13.

I have ran a defrag as well last night.

System fully scanned for viruses/spyware, nothing there.

I have AHCI set on all my drives. I did have them set to IDE, but changed over to AHCI and it didn't make a difference.

Basically, my system is:

Intel Core I7-965EE@3.60Ghz|EVGA X58|6MB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz|EVGA GTX295|Ultra 120 Air cooled|Corsair HX1000W PSU|Antec Nine Hundred Case|3xWD 500Gb AHCI|WD External 500Gb backup|26" Gateway HiDef|Klipsh 200W surround|Saitek X-52 Pro|G25 Racing Wheel|All bolted down to the desk with 2 security cables -)

In game settings are as follows:

Textures-high

Scenes-high

Civ Traffic-Yes

Water-Normal

Visible Range-High

Heat Blur-On (have switched on and off, don't see any difference)

Shadows-All planar

Resolution-1920x1200

Aspect-16:10

Monitors-1 screen

Res of cockpit displays-1024

I have the identical settings in DCS Black Shark. Now that sim is smooth as butter...90's to 100's in the pit, shkval on the lowest I have seen is 40's.

I have tried a mission without the clouds and it does raise the fps's but it still drops in the teens...kinda crazy eh?

I just wish I could pinpoint that issue, this is a beautiful sim......just need it smoothed out and whatever is taxing my system go away lol.

You know, whats even more strange I have noticed.....It seems that AA has no effect in this game no matter what I set it to in the NV control panel. I can set it to 2x or 16xQ and it looks the same....still jagged as ever. I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with it? Not sure, just wish I could figure it out.

Thanks again, still trying away.....

Oh, I took a look at graphics.cfg. Beings that I am running 1920x1200, could this be the issue: ?

DisplayMode

{

resolution = {1024, 768};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.333333333;

Interface

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.333333333;

}

Simulation

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.333333333;

}

AVI

{

resolution = {640, 480};

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.3333;

}

}

Modes are at 1024x768. Maybe I am reading this wrong or looking at the wrong file?

Thanks

You know, whats even more strange I have noticed.....It seems that AA has no effect in this game no matter what I set it to in the NV control panel. I can set it to 2x or 16xQ and it looks the same....still jagged as ever. I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with it? Not sure, just wish I could figure it out.

Thanks again, still trying away.....

That's strange. If you tried everything, the last you can try is to uninstall all (LO+FC2) and install them again (don't install FC1) and see what happens. Install FC2 in another folder than LO.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Oh, I took a look at graphics.cfg. Beings that I am running 1920x1200, could this be the issue: ?

DisplayMode

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.333333333;

Interface

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.333333333;

}

Simulation

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 1.333333333;

}

AVI

{

resolution = {640, 480};

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.3333;

}

}

Modes are at 1024x768. Maybe I am reading this wrong or looking at the wrong file?

Thanks

Wrong file. This one is a leftover from lockon, just some lines are used from this one. All other setup is in \LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua file.

Edited by Distiler

I have slow FPS (~25) with Textures "HIGH"

I have a Q9550 and a ATI 4890- 1GB so this shouldn't really happen

then I figured it might be texture Size that would be the problem

so I kept everything High, but Textures to MEDIUM

et voila FPS (50-60+)

I also run 1920x1200

so I conclude the video memory is just too little too run the big textures of the HIGH mode with 1GB at 1920x1200, and the card will do some memory managemnt and the FPS drops

(so my next card will be a 2GB card, supposedly (forums) a 'redundant' amount of memory (a 'marketing trick), but not, my guess is, with big screen sizes)

my 2cts

(actually I also run ATI tray tools at AA: 4x (max 8x runs well but cannot see difference) Adaptive SS: 'performace', Anisotropic Filtering:'Quality' "trilineair''Enable High Quality''16x", Textures: "high quality", MipMap " Quality")

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I have slow FPS (~25) with Textures "HIGH"

I have a Q9550 and a ATI 4890- 1GB so this shouldn't really happen

then I figured it might be texture Size that would be the problem

so I kept everything High, but Textures to MEDIUM

et voila FPS (50-60+)

I also run 1920x1200

so I conclude the video memory is just too little too run the big textures of the HIGH mode with 1GB at 1920x1200, and the card will do some memory managemnt and the FPS drops

(so my next card will be a 2GB card, supposedly (forums) a 'redundant' amount of memory (a 'marketing trick), but not, my guess is, with big screen sizes)

my 2cts

Don't think. My graphic card memory goes up to just 350MB of 512MB (use gpu-z) when playing FC2 and textures are in high. Perhaps you have a lot of AA. Oh, btw,I don't have any stutter and my fps are high.

Edited by Distiler

Nevermind that, I think I see what the issue is....the A10. I can do the quickstarts in all the missions except the A10 and I am in the mid 100's, even seen 230fps in the su33, 100's in the mig29.....the A10 is sinking my rig for sure..... Anything I can tweak on just the A10?

Thanks

Don't think. My graphic card memory goes up to just 350MB (use gpu-z) when playing FC2 and textures are in high. Perhaps you have a lot of AA.

just try it

I've read gpu-z doesnt mean everything

could be a driver or hardware issue, and the video memory starts swapping

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Nevermind that, I think I see what the issue is....the A10. I can do the quickstarts in all the missions except the A10 and I am in the mid 100's, even seen 230fps in the su33, 100's in the mig29.....the A10 is sinking my rig for sure..... Anything I can tweak on just the A10?

Thanks

that would rather mean corrupted textures? need reinatall, another skin?

Yep, could be corrupt. I will go ahead and remove all of it, do the LO install with just FC2 instead of FC and FC2 and see what happens. I was really surprised to see that in the flanker...over 200fps.....wow......

Will post back after I remove it all, defrag and reinstall....

Thanks

Regarding the stutters: I didn't manage to loose them. I tried all resolutions, all aspects, triplebuffer on/off, number of prerendered frames..

I settled for 1280X960 set maxfps 60 in config,

vsync on -> when you use trackir this is a must.

triple buffer on.

Spoiler

Regarding the stutters: I didn't manage to loose them. I tried all resolutions, all aspects, triplebuffer on/off, number of prerendered frames..

I settled for 1280X960 set maxfps 60 in config,

vsync on -> when you use trackir this is a must.

triple buffer on.

Have you tried maxfps a lower value than vsync, for example maxfps=40?